Eliminate germs and pesticides with these expert produce cleaning techniques

If you think of buying and cooking fresh veg as a bit of a gamble, you’re not alone. Reports suggest that there is the potential presence of bacteria like E. coli and Listeria lingering on produce, presenting a serious threat to the safety of high-risk groups such as pregnant women, seniors, children, and those with compromised immunity.

Fear not – a few simple steps and the right materials can help reduce the risk of foodborne illness and clean your produce for maximum taste and nutritional value.

First, you need to prepare a couple of items:
  • Basin with a colander in it or a large bowl with holes that can hold produce in but also lets silt and debris out.
  • A clean produce-cleaning brush. This can help remove dirt from veggies like potatoes, carrots, and apples.
  • Clean kitchen towels or paper towels
  • White vinegar or a solution of one part white vinegar and three parts water.
The amount of time you'll spend for the entire cleaning process will take 20 minutes or so, but this can also depend on the kind of food you’re cleaning and the combination of methods you’re using.

apples1.jpg
Cleaning produce thoroughly prevents foodborne illnesses. Credit: Suzy Hazelwood/Pexels

Fruit and veg that are ‘pre-washed’ does not need to be washed again and is considered safe to eat. However, produce that you eat raw such as lettuce and bean sprouts can be risky and should be cleaned with extra care.

First, fill a basin with cool water. This could be a mixing bowl, a salad spinner, or any other suitable item. Using a colander for an ‘inner bowl’ as well as having that solid outer bowl (one that doesn’t have holes), allows you to soak and scrub fruit and veg before removing it from the dirty water and rinsing it over the sink.

If the produce you’re washing is layered, remove the outer layer before cleaning.

colander1.jpg
This large colander from Kmart costs $6.00. Credit: Kmart

Then, soak the produce for five to ten minutes in cool water, or the vinegar solution we mentioned above (1 part vinegar, 3 parts water) to loosen the dirt. According to this study, soaking before rinsing effectively removes bacteria rather than going straight to rinsing alone.

For things like strawberries, soaking can degrade their quality so skip this step if the items you’re dealing with are delicate.

Scrub the produce and submerge it in a basin of cool water to ensure you’re removing the bacteria. Alternatively, you can also use a vegetable brush and scrub gently as long as you’re targeting the grimier areas.

Make sure you’re scrubbing for at least 20 seconds. For produce with stems, like apples and tomatoes, it’s ideal that you scrub them with a produce brush. This is because their stem and blossom ends are particularly hospitable to grime.

brush.jpg
Scrub the produce for 20 seconds. Credit: OXO Australia

The next step is to thoroughly rinse the produce. Rinse the items under running water. But be careful not to run it under a strong current or rapidly running water. Some produce, such as mushrooms, can get damaged easily.

The last step is to dry things off. You can do this by either gently shaking the colander or inner bowl over the sink to remove excess water, or you can pat or wipe the items dry with clean towels. Wiping, rather than air-drying, gives you one last chance to remove contaminants through friction.

In many of the cleaning ‘hacks’ and articles we’ve read, a common denominator is the use of white vinegar. Whether it’s to clean windows, sinks, and now food, it seems that this common pantry item is a miracle worker. But what exactly is the science behind this?

Vinegar and other chemical solutions have antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral qualities. Distilled white vinegar contains 5-8% acetic acid, giving it a pH of about 2.5. This classifies it as an acid. These acid molecules are excellent at lifting dirt and soap scum, and makes it excellent to ward off the growth of mould and bacteria.

However, if vinegar is used at a higher concentration, it could cause skin irritation and eye damage. This is why in many cleaning tips and tricks, vinegar is always diluted with water.
Key Takeaways

• Clean produce is important for people who are pregnant, senior, adolescent, or immunocompromised, as bacteria like E. coli and Listeria can attach to produce and grow.
  • You can use a basin with a colander, a vegetable brush, and a clean cloth or paper towel to clean your produce.
  • Scrub the produce for at least as long as you wash your hands—around 20 seconds.
  • Rinse the produce in running water to remove contaminants, and then gently shake the colander to remove excess water.
  • Pat or wipe the produce dry with a clean cloth.
Now that you know the how’s, what’s, and why’s of produce cleaning, do let us know if you’re keen on putting these tips into practice! If you have tips you’d like to share, comment down below!

Sponsored
The absolute horror of finding a trodden on dead mouse inside a sealed pkt of baby spinach! Eewwggh!

I found a baby green/ brown frog inside a sealed pkt of spinach in a supermarket in Alice Springs many years ago now. So I cannot recall if it was in a Coles or Woolworths.
I was inspecting the pkt to ensure that the leaves were all fresh & OK & not wilting due to poor processing/ handling. Then I received the surprise of my life! This baby frog appeared to be waving at me. I don't know if I had uttered any words or gasped, but I was standing there looking at this frog looking at me and waving one hand at me and wondering if I was actually hallucinating! A few women shoppers in the aisle stopped to look at the bag with me & they could believe their eyes either! I opened the bag & sprayed the frog with some water that they have in the veggie section for the lettuce & showed the check out lady on my way out with my big shop to go out bush for work.
I did not have to pay for the spinach that had been packed in QLD. I then phoned wildlife & dropped the frog off at an amphibian & reptile tourist place as I was advised to do.

Ever since I have always worried at what I might find in a sealed pkt of spinach!

I have given up eating pre packed salads completely - the convenience is great but I prefer to know how my veggies have been cleaned- vegetables are expensive and critical to our health so I buy organic (and still wash with veg wash) when I can afford to and other conventional veg that I wash and peel.

Reactions: Ricci
Nothing like picking and eating fresh fruit, vegies straight from the garden. Cherry tomatoes, apple cucumbers, strawberries, beans, peas, mulberries, radishes, etc. have been doing it since I was young, my husband also does this. Brush any dirt off and eat. We don’t use chemicals on our vegie gardens. Shop bought is always washed thoroughly before use.

If you think of buying and cooking fresh veg as a bit of a gamble, you’re not alone. Reports suggest that there is the potential presence of bacteria like E. coli and Listeria lingering on produce, presenting a serious threat to the safety of high-risk groups such as pregnant women, seniors, children, and those with compromised immunity.

Fear not – a few simple steps and the right materials can help reduce the risk of foodborne illness and clean your produce for maximum taste and nutritional value.

• Basin with a colander in it or a large bowl with holes that can hold produce in but also lets silt and debris out.
  • A clean produce-cleaning brush. This can help remove dirt from veggies like potatoes, carrots, and apples.
The amount of time you'll spend for the entire cleaning process will take 20 minutes or so, but this can also depend on the kind of food you’re cleaning and the combination of methods you’re using.

View attachment 11366
Cleaning produce thoroughly prevents foodborne illnesses. Credit: Suzy Hazelwood/Pexels

Fruit and veg that are ‘pre-washed’ does not need to be washed again and is considered safe to eat. However, produce that you eat raw such as lettuce and bean sprouts can be risky and should be cleaned with extra care.

First, fill a basin with cool water. This could be a mixing bowl, a salad spinner, or any other suitable item. Using a colander for an ‘inner bowl’ as well as having that solid outer bowl (one that doesn’t have holes), allows you to soak and scrub fruit and veg before removing it from the dirty water and rinsing it over the sink.

If the produce you’re washing is layered, remove the outer layer before cleaning.

View attachment 11368

Then, soak the produce for five to ten minutes in cool water, or the vinegar solution we mentioned above (1 part vinegar, 3 parts water) to loosen the dirt. According to this study, soaking before rinsing effectively removes bacteria rather than going straight to rinsing alone.

For things like strawberries, soaking can degrade their quality so skip this step if the items you’re dealing with are delicate.

Scrub the produce and submerge it in a basin of cool water to ensure you’re removing the bacteria. Alternatively, you can also use a vegetable brush and scrub gently as long as you’re targeting the grimier areas.

Make sure you’re scrubbing for at least 20 seconds. For produce with stems, like apples and tomatoes, it’s ideal that you scrub them with a produce brush. This is because their stem and blossom ends are particularly hospitable to grime.

View attachment 11367

The next step is to thoroughly rinse the produce. Rinse the items under running water. But be careful not to run it under a strong current or rapidly running water. Some produce, such as mushrooms, can get damaged easily.

The last step is to dry things off. You can do this by either gently shaking the colander or inner bowl over the sink to remove excess water, or you can pat or wipe the items dry with clean towels. Wiping, rather than air-drying, gives you one last chance to remove contaminants through friction.

In many of the cleaning ‘hacks’ and articles we’ve read, a common denominator is the use of white vinegar. Whether it’s to clean windows, sinks, and now food, it seems that this common pantry item is a miracle worker. But what exactly is the science behind this?

Vinegar and other chemical solutions have antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral qualities. Distilled white vinegar contains 5-8% acetic acid, giving it a pH of about 2.5. This classifies it as an acid. These acid molecules are excellent at lifting dirt and soap scum, and makes it excellent to ward off the growth of mould and bacteria.

However, if vinegar is used at a higher concentration, it could cause skin irritation and eye damage. This is why in many cleaning tips and tricks, vinegar is always diluted with water.
Key Takeaways

• Clean produce is important for people who are pregnant, senior, adolescent, or immunocompromised, as bacteria like E. coli and Listeria can attach to produce and grow.
  • You can use a basin with a colander, a vegetable brush, and a clean cloth or paper towel to clean your produce.
  • Scrub the produce for at least as long as you wash your hands—around 20 seconds.
  • Rinse the produce in running water to remove contaminants, and then gently shake the colander to remove excess water.
Now that you know the how’s, what’s, and why’s of produce cleaning, do let us know if you’re keen on putting these tips into practice! If you have tips you’d like to share, comment down below!
fill the sink with cold water add white vinegar and soak your fruit etc. that does not take 20 mins.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 11366

View attachment 11368

View attachment 11367

Key Takeaways

My method works well for me. I use a large stainless steel bowl to soak my fruit & vegs which I dissolve 1 & 1/2 Tbsp of sodium bicarbonate, then I immerse a mini ultrasonic probe cleaner and set its frequency according to the type of food I'm trying to clean. I give it the highest for those fruits & veg classified as high in contaminates (900 sec). Pesticide residues are best removed by alkalinity. Then I rinse the lot in the sink with the sink shower nozzle. The strawberries, once I allow them to air dry and place them in the fridge, in an open plastic tub on a paper towel sheet, last for 2 weeks, as they become sweet. Best to use a stainless steel container for soaking, since plastic containers absorb the sonic waves, whereas the metal container distributes them. You can purchase a mini ultrasonic probe cleaner on e-Bay. They are not expensive.