Easy and Delicious Beef Regu

This dish is so easy to make yet so very tasty.
I make enough for two days , even three.
It's a meal that just gets better with each day.

First day I serve with mash potato
Second day I serve on top of pasta or rice

Serves 4

Prep time 15 min

cook time 3 hours
20240723_173415.jpg

Ingredients

• 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1kg beef chuck steak, cut into 4cm pieces
  • 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
  • 2 carrot, finely chopped
  • 2 potatoes 🥔 cut into wedges or chunks
  • 3 garlic cloves crushed
  • 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 1 1/2 cups of water
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 3 sprigs fresh Rosemary or 2 teaspoon dried
  • 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
  • 1 tablespoon of cornflour mixed with a little water

Method
  • Step 1
    Heat half the oil in a large pot over high heat. Cook beef, in two batches, for 5 minutes or until browned.
20240723_124833.jpg
  • Step 2
    Add remaining oil to pan. Add garlic then Add potato celery and carrot. Cook for 3 minutes or until just tender.
20240723_125951.jpg
  • Step 3
    Add tomatoes with liquid from cans, stock, water, paste, rosemary and thyme to pan, add beef back to pan and Bring to the boil. Stir to combine.
20240723_130207.jpg
  • Step 4
  • Cover with lid. Reduce heat to low and cook for 3 hours. Stir a couple of times during cooking.
  • In the last 15 minutes add cornflour mixture and stir through. Cook until mixture thickens slightly

The meat will just fall apart. I will even turn the heat down to very low after 3 hours and let it simmer for up to 5 hours .

I will also do all steps up to step 3 then add to a slow cooker but I then cook it for 6 hours. I do this step if I need to go out.

RECIPE NOTES
You can also use beef blade, oyster or topside steak for this recipe. These cuts of meat become lovely and tender when slow cooked.
Once cooked, the ragu can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. To reheat, place ragu in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or until ho
t.
If you want you can substitute 1 cup of the stock with one cup of red wine . If I do this I add the wine before the stock and cook for a few minutes before adding stock.
I don't add onion to this recipe

Sponsored
My kitchen is completed with just a couple of things left to do. Adding a plantation shutter to window and to put cover on rangehood and remove blue plastic

Before and after pictures. I have more bench space and more cupboards.

I did a better job of designing this kitchen than the professional designer of my old Tasmanian oak kitchen

20240725_063942.jpg20240725_063826.jpgScreenshot_20240725_063659_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240725_063510_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240725_063436_Gallery.jpg