Eagle-eyed shopper reveals savvy tip to getting a huge discount of up to 40% at Kmart!

It’s no secret that Kmart provides great, low-cost quality items, but did you know there’s a way to get even bigger deals?

One bargain hunter recently revealed that they scored an impressive 40% discount…while at the checkout counter!

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 3.05.32 PM.png
Kmart is a known provider of great and low-cost quality items. Image source: Wikipedia/RegionalQueenslander.

The thrifty mum explained that she was on the hunt for party supplies when she came across an electric balloon pump with packaging that had seen better days. At the checkout, she left the box for the electric balloon pump until last. She then casually mentioned to the checkout attendant that the box was ‘beaten up’, and the attendant told them she would ‘see what she could do’.

‘Was $25 and I got it for $15! Always pays to ask,’ the mum said on her social media post.

It turns out this technique can snag you discounts on all kinds of items. Shoppers who confirmed that the trick works typically got discounts of a few dollars off the marked price.

‘My Kmart gave me $2 off a $25 item for (a) damaged box similar to yours,’ a shopper shared. ‘I threw the box out and couldn't use it to pack and store my item. I needed it, so I bought it, but I wasn't impressed.’

'I have done this with a baby item. As the item itself wasn’t damaged they took $1 off,' a second added.

However, not all shoppers were successful–many reported that the employees simply couldn’t offer them a discount because ‘other than the box, everything else seems to be there and fine’.

Luckily, one woman revealed her own trick–when asked about the box, she always mentions that it’s a gift and that she needs to buy a box to put it in.

So, the next time you’re in Kmart, inspect the box of the item you’re buying for any damage–it’s worth it if you can get a discount!

Other Strategies to Save Money When Shopping

There is nothing quite as satisfying as leaving the store, bags in hand, knowing that you have managed to secure a bargain. The same thrills apply whether cruising the aisles of your favourite supermarket, adding items to your online shopping cart, or bargaining at the local market–the key to getting the most for your money lies in these strategies.

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 1.44.07 PM.png
Never underestimate the power of coupons that can be found on newspapers, flyers, newspapers, or catalogues. Image source: nuraghies on Freepik.

Firstly, don't underestimate the power of coupons. Even if it's for minor discounts, every dollar saved can quickly add up. Keep a close eye on newspapers, flyers, newsletters, or catalogues, for these valuable little money-savers. You can check out our very own Discount Directory for available deals!

Price comparison is another excellent way to bag a discount. With the availability of online stores and a range of shopping apps, comparing prices has never been easier. By doing your research and identifying the retailer offering the best price, you can save a tidy sum.

Another great practice when shopping is to buy in bulk. Budget retailers often offer volume discounts, especially for non-perishable items like toilet paper or laundry detergent. By purchasing in higher quantities, you will not only save money but also reduce the amount of shopping trips you need to make.

Timing is everything when it comes to getting discounts. Retailers often adjust their pricing based on the day of the week or the time of the year. For example, purchasing winter clothing at the end of the season can secure you some hefty discounts.

Lastly, signing up for loyalty programs can also give you access to exclusive promotions or special sales. Not only that, but these often come with reward points that you can accumulate to redeem free gifts or larger price slashes on your future purchases.

Remember, it's not just about being lucky. Be smart, be strategic, and you can turn mundane shopping into an exciting quest for bargain treasures. We’d love to hear your stories and other tips in the comments section below–and for those of you who will try this trick, be sure to report back on your successes and failures!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I've had discounts a couple of times on plants at Bunnings. One was broken in half and they gave me a really good discount. The bonus was that patience paid off and I now have 2 plants. The other was a tomato with no label. They gave me a discount on the mystery tomato plant, I only paid half price for it. Now I'll wait and see what kind of fruit it will bear.

• Haha
Reactions: London Lad
You always get a discount if packaging is damaged on anything
I think I might become an influencer