E-bike etiquette escapade: Elderly Aussies and youths clash in ‘battle of the beaches’!

As the sun shone down on the picturesque seaside suburb of Mona Vale, on Sydney's Northern Beaches, a scene unfolded that would soon become the talk of the town.

A video capturing a heated exchange between a group of elderly Australians and two youths on an e-bike has sparked a fiery debate.

This highlights the growing tensions between different generations and the challenges of integrating new technologies into our shared public spaces.

The footage, which circulated online, showed the moment the two boys, perched on an electric bicycle, were confronted by a trio of older locals.

The exact cause of the disagreement remains unknown; however, it's believed to have been ignited by the boys riding the e-bike on a footpath, a practice that is generally frowned upon and often illegal in many parts of Australia.

image (2).jpg
A clash occurred between two youths on an e-bike and a group of elderly Australians in Mona Vale, Sydney's Northern Beaches. Credit: Tiktok / @franciscolikes2disco

In New South Wales, the rules set by Transport for NSW (TfNSW) are clear: cyclists, whether on an e-bike or a traditional bicycle, are typically not permitted to ride on footpaths unless they are under the age of 16 or accompanying a minor.

The exception to this rule does not apply to areas where there are ‘no bicycles’ signage.

The video showed the elderly group, consisting of a man and two women, surrounding the boys and engaging in what appears to be a heated argument.

Their frustration was palpable as they gestured emphatically, with one man going so far as to grab the handlebar of the e-bike, effectively preventing the boys from leaving.

This incident, humorously dubbed ‘the battle of the beaches’, resonated with many and came at a time when beachside communities voiced concerns about the reckless use of e-bikes.

According to The Sydney Morning Herald, complaints about individuals openly disregarding the rules have been flooding in, posing a danger to pedestrians and other users of public spaces.

Northern Beaches Councillor and former police officer David Walton expressed his concerns.

‘Some of these e-bikes are quite large and if some young people are doubling or tripling, the bikes are turning into 150 to 200 kilograms moving at high speeds. If they hit a pedestrian…it’s likely to result in significant injuries to the pedestrian and the possibility of deaths,’ he said at the time.

With the popularity of these vehicles on the rise, inspired by trends from places like California, Australians are spending thousands on these electric-powered bikes designed with wide wheels suitable for sand.

The NSW police have been observed targeting e-bike riders in a recent enforcement blitz, signalling a crackdown on irresponsible riding behaviours.

As the video concluded, a crowd gathered around the scene, with at least one bystander siding with the youths.

Online speculation about the events leading up to the confrontation was widespread.

‘It’s illegal to ride on the footpaths, and many do it at 50kms an hour,’ one commenter pointed out.

‘Look, I don't know what happened, but yesterday a kid similar to these guys was zooming on an e-bike at a dog park, almost hit us, no bells or anything and off the path. If you have these, just stay on the road,’ another shared.

Meanwhile, some individuals supported the teenagers.

‘Don’t mess with the “Bayview Boomers”. Rich, entitled and extremely opinionated,’ one humorously quipped.

‘The poking from grandad and the pamphlet slaps from grandma would take some self-control to not lose my cool,’ another commented.

‘Kids are much more polite and tolerant than we were at that age,’ a third remarked.

‘Send them early to their appointment upstairs,’ someone else joked.

Based on the laws and the video evidence, whether any wrongdoing was evident in the footage remains uncertain.

TfNSW has yet to release a statement of their perspective on the issue.

The legislation in NSW is clear: e-bike riders are subject to the same safety regulations as regular cyclists, including the mandatory use of helmets.

While some e-bikes can reach speeds of up to 100km/h, they are legally restricted to 25km/h under their power.

Unlike motor vehicles, personal e-bikes, like regular bikes, do not require a license, though users of public or rideshare e-bikes must be at least 14 years old.

You can watch the full video here:

Source: Tiktok / @franciscolikes2disco

As tensions escalate between different age groups over e-bike usage, concerns surrounding the safety and regulation of these vehicles have come to the forefront.

While this clash at the beach highlighted ongoing disputes, recent events underscored the potential dangers associated with e-bikes.

A shocking incident involving an e-bike explosion in Sydney has left a family homeless and raised urgent questions about the safety standards and risks associated with these popular modes of transportation.
Key Takeaways
  • A confrontation arose between a pair of youths on an e-bike and a group of elderly Australians in Mona Vale, Sydney's Northern Beaches.
  • The argument was believed to have been triggered by the youths riding the e-bike on a footpath, which is generally not permitted by Transport for NSW unless specific criteria are met.
  • The incident sparked an online debate, with some defending the teenagers and others supporting the elderly group's frustration over e-bike rules.
  • In NSW, e-bike riders are subject to the same safety regulations as regular cyclists, with speed restrictions and no requirement for a licence for personal e-bikes.
Have you witnessed similar incidents in your area? How do you think these situations should be addressed? Share your stories and thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
No way you can say the kids are more polite nowadays, that's an out and out lie, they're rude as hell to older people because they've got it into their thick skulls that were a burden on society, by the ggovernment. Where's the pension fund disappeared to? If the government didn't put that into revenue we'd be self funded, the government is an ass.

From watching the video.
One lad was not wearing a helmet .
The elder citizens would be charged with assault if there had been a complaint made.
Typical of some elderly who think they are more entitled than others.

No way you can say the kids are more polite nowadays, that's an out and out lie, they're rude as hell to older people because they've got it into their thick skulls that were a burden on society, by the ggovernment. Where's the pension fund disappeared to? If the government didn't put that into revenue we'd be self funded, the government is an ass.
And they know no law can touch them. Police cannot be bothered because they are just given a slap on the wrist and they have to talk to them the next day again

I just think that feet and wheels should not be on the same path. …Little children, even with adult supervision, cannot always control their steering and have a habit of just suddenly stopping in front of you or desperately ringing their bell, if they have one, behind you because they can’t stop and expect the pedestrian to quickly jump out of the way. Older kids, teenagers, adults usually seem to rule the footpaths as they hurtle at speed towards or behind you, again making the pedestrian get out of the way quickly…with their pet. Many people like me have a bad back and are not as fleet of foot as we once were, resulting in a slower walk and sometimes just can’t get out of the way fast enough…….feet and wheels do not belong on the same footpath…..

I just think that feet and wheels should not be on the same path. …Little children, even with adult supervision, cannot always control their steering and have a habit of just suddenly stopping in front of you or desperately ringing their bell, if they have one, behind you because they can’t stop and expect the pedestrian to quickly jump out of the way. Older kids, teenagers, adults usually seem to rule the footpaths as they hurtle at speed towards or behind you, again making the pedestrian get out of the way quickly…with their pet. Many people like me have a bad back and are not as fleet of foot as we once were, resulting in a slower walk and sometimes just can’t get out of the way fast enough…….feet and wheels do not belong on the same footpath…..
💯% agree. A footpath or walkway is, as the name implies, a pathway for foot traffic not a carriageway. These e bikes and scooters need to be speed limited and made to travel on the road or have a lane devoted for their use. 😎

E bikes and scooters must be one of the worst things ever invented. They cause problems whether ridden on footpaths or roads. They are not safe the way young yahoos belt around on them, often without helmets on, darting across roads in front of traffic, pelting along like there is no tomorrow, not caring how much danger their antics are putting themselves and everyone else in. I was travelling in a country town with a friend and the same yahoo darted across the road three times in as many blocks, narrowly being missed by the cars driving in both directions. No helmet, putting his life and other peoples at risk everyday As he was in a school uniform so would be riding the same most days.

The kids displayed a maturity beyond what the cranky old farts showed. If the kids had posed a threat to the oldies, you can be sure the old ones wouldn’t have been so mouthy.
I'm now in a position where I'm unable to go walking on the wonderful paths around Lake Macquarie, for precisely this reason. If I'm knocked over, I'm unable to get up. Even though I must now use a walker, even in the house, I'm still frightened because of the speed at which the cyclists ride. During my working life I was a nurse and I was so fit and walked so fast that my big strong six foot firefighter husband couldn't keep up with me.

When people are frightened, they tend to overreact. Unless you've been in the position yourself, you really can't judge.

• Sad
Reactions: Tervueren
I'm now in a position where I'm unable to go walking on the wonderful paths around Lake Macquarie, for precisely this reason. If I'm knocked over, I'm unable to get up. Even though I must now use a walker, even in the house, I'm still frightened because of the speed at which the cyclists ride. During my working life I was a nurse and I was so fit and walked so fast that my big strong six foot firefighter husband couldn't keep up with me.

When people are frightened, they tend to overreact. Unless you've been in the position yourself, you really can't judge.
I’ve nearly been hit and have been verbally abused by cyclists on the pedestrian/cycle paths. These were not e-bike riders but racing bikes. My grandson was hit and knocked down by a cyclist as well.

I always keep well to the left. I live in an area where there are many paths to be enjoyed, but the walking is not very enjoyable. I don’t use a walker, so I can imagine how frightening it must be for you.

In my experience, cyclists are long gone before I can say anything at all. At least those young people stayed around to receive their serve of abuse by the oldies.

What worries me, are the “serious” cyclists who feel they have absolute rights over anyone else. They don’t even have to pay registration for the privilege of using the roads, yet many flaunt the road rules.

Sorry for the rant. Irresponsible cyclists bring out the cranky old fart in me. 😆

The boys look like they are under 16 y/o to me, in which case it is legal for them to be on a footpath, apparently. The carry on by the oldies looked to be way over the top in my opinion. There does not seem to be any accusation of speeding or wrong doing.