TrishaC

Staff member
May 30, 2022
DoorDash meal thief left with more than they bargained for after victim's brutal passive-aggressive note

DoorDash meal thief left with more than they bargained for after victim's brutal passive-aggressive note
Imagine this: You had a long day. You’ve been watching the grandkids for your kids,, your dog or cat did their business where they weren’t supposed to, so you spend the next half-hour cleaning up their mess. Once you’re done, you decide to cook for yourself, but you realise you're out of oil, or some key ingredients just as you’ve convinced yourself to cook something. You pack everything you brought out away to make sure it doesn’t go to waste and decide to lie in bed and order take-away to make your life just a little bit easier.

You wait for the notification or phone call that your order has arrived while tossing and turning in bed, fighting the urge to sleep, then when it comes, you just don’t have the energy to get out to your doorstep just yet. Ten minutes later, your hunger overcomes the fatigue. Then you get up to get your order, which you spent quite a hefty sum on to make up for the day, but it isn't there when you get to your doorstep…

6Sm5lFMoshCe-F1cGtXu5syeb9dkDp4vNkEg88URkGslSKbBnfWHF_94JuSPPa249uQpNb-VGJs2BttYn2eb_eoPJb4ASnmHcj3nVTDjL1KihAUXYL0_JWmw0uMIzMIoR3qgCALeNroYlADwJw

Source: pexels.com

You are astounded. Did you hallucinate the notification? The phone call? But when you check your Doordash app, you can see that it says that your order was delivered. So, what could have happened?

This was the case for a “hungry” man who had his $160 (AUD) order taken from his doorstep before he even got the chance to take a bite. He then left a passive-aggressive note for his neighbours to see, threatening the thief with filing a police report if they don’t reimburse him in the next day or two.

‘Hi neighbours, ‘someone’ in the building inadvertently claimed my Door Dash order when it was delivered. If you happened to be the one who accidentally claimed my order as yours, given it cost me $120, I’d love you to get in touch pronto and arrange a reimbursement,’ the man wrote, ‘If you can do this in the next day or two, I’d really appreciate it. It will save us a lot of time.’

He described the time-consuming processes he'd have to follow if the food thief didn't pay for the meal they stole.

‘It will save me having to bother [name] (who’s already overworked dealing with the theft of packages from people who don’t reside in the building) to get a copy of timestamped, very clear video footage of you in the lobby taking my delivery from the Door Dasher [name] (he’s a lovely guy and has been very helpful), then in the lift with my delivery, and then exiting the lift on your floor (I won’t mention which floor yet here as I don’t want to embarrass you) with my delivery,’ the letter read, 'Then I’d have to spend even more time doing the report and providing the footage and making a formal report to my mate [name] up the road at [name] police so he can commence a formal investigation and lay criminal charges against you.’

The man stated that it was only fitting that the thief paid for what they had taken.

5xepPFxNooBLGuG_Vyr62Pv55Hy76HLvb_t39PrOdvKek01dcG2doVuWcfcmAANiz4mTKeTAPlLT2AofJhH5YAe9pNma3oDobwY2TiV1d31NgKtsZTA5VS9Tkrfg0bNnkXnOAERsjQ6l36zPWQ

Source: pexels.com

‘It just sounds like such a massive waste of time for so many people just for you to ultimately have to pay for the dinner you enjoyed that I paid for,’ he said, ‘How good is [restaurant name], by the way? That Wasabi Wagyu beef and the Salt Pepper Prawns are personal favourites. Hope you enjoyed them as much as I do.’

The man then created a sense of urgency for the thief to contact him ASAP.

‘If you do this, I’ll assume it was an innocent/drunk/whatever error. If you don’t want to get in touch with me directly, all good, just give [name] the $, and he can pass it on to me.’ he wrote, ‘If you don’t reimburse me, I’ll have to do that time-consuming video/police report thing. Thanks in advance. Nice guy in [unit number] who went hungry on [day of the week].’

On Wednesday, one of the letters' authors' neighbours – likely not the one who took his food – posted a copy of the letter on Reddit.

The Redditors proclaimed it “The most delightfully passive-aggressive post on my building forum”.

Hundreds of Reddit users praised the author for his determination to get his money back.

‘I hope your neighbour gets justice,’ one Redditor commented.

‘I’m so on the side of the neighbour. I’m a cranky b**ch without food, so I’m invested in this,’ another one said.

‘I solemnly stand by you, brother. No one should get away with stealing another man’s Wasabi Wagyu beef and salted pepper prawns,’ a third responded.

What about you? How would you feel if someone stole your EXPENSIVE well-deserved food? Tell us all about it in the comments!

• Angry
Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Next time he want to make an order could he please have it sent to [my address]? I'll test taste it for him and let him know if it was worth it!!:ROFLMAO:

He ordered, he should have been prepared to pick it up when delivered but yes still very wrong of
the person who stole it, wish him luck with his outcome.

Pat

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
Personally l would ask for a refund from door dash. Do they not knock on your door, they should in my opinion. You seem to be paying enough for it to be part of their job.

Reactions: Ricci