Don't spend hours pre-soaking laundry: This $1.99 ALDI detergent is changing the game

Savvy bargain hunters often pay close attention to the pricing of grocery products when they stroll down the aisles of their favourite local supermarkets.

One retailer that many shoppers tend to go to is ALDI. The German-owned supermarket is known for its low prices and Special Buys, so people tend to keep an eye out for any deals they can find within its aisles.

And one product that’s caught the attention of shoppers is a laundry detergent that’s said to work better than its more expensive counterparts.

One of ALDI’s laundry detergents is getting rave reviews online after one shopper revealed how well it worked compared to another (more expensive) product.

A man posted about his experience using Laundrite Laundry Liquid, which retails for $1.99 for a 2L bottle, in a popular Facebook group dedicated to ALDI shoppers.

He revealed that he decided to do a test between Laundrite and Almat Laundry Liquid Concentrate, another ALDI detergent that retails for $5.49 for a 2L bottle.

detergent1.jpg
The man decided to test these two laundry detergents’ effectiveness. Credit: Facebook

According to the shopper, Laundrite worked ‘so well’ that it managed to remove stains without soaking or pre-treating them.

He said: ‘It's amazing. For example, I had several small blood stains on a hand towel as a result of injuring my finger a few days ago, and it's removed them without soaking in my standard BubbleWash cycle. Other long-term stains have also washed out of my hi-vis work shirts without any pre-treatment. Love the apple fragrance too.’

Based on the product description, Laundrite Laundry Liquid contains no added phosphates as part of the store’s commitment to sustainability.

Many ALDI shoppers agreed with the man’s review, including people who have been using the product for years.

‘Have used this for over 20 years,’ one claimed.

‘I use this all the time now. It’s been really great,’ another declared.

One said that Laundrite works just as well as the ‘very expensive brands’.

‘I love it, tried it out of curiosity a month ago. Would never go back. It’s great!’ Someone else explained.

Another claimed that Laundrite was ‘so good’ it managed to revive the rugs she used for her horses.

‘I use it on my horse rugs in my old machine! It makes them look brand new, and my horses absolutely destroy their rugs, so if you can get them shiny white, it's got to be good!’ She shared.

If you don’t shop at ALDI, one person revealed that Laundrite laundry detergent is ‘the same’ as Clean Laundry Liquid Apple Splash, which costs $2 for a 2L bottle at Woolworths.

‘Exactly the same from Woolies. I checked the ingredients. They’re the same,’ the shopper concluded.

detergent2.jpg
One shopper claimed that Woolworths’ Clean Laundry Liquid Apple Splash is a dupe for ALDI’s Laundrite Laundry Liquid. Credit: Woolworths

Another brand that’s getting positive reviews from shoppers online is Coles’ Laundry Liquid Fresh, which also retails for $2 for a 2L bottle.

But what do the experts say?

Comparison website Canstar Blue described ALDI’s Laundrite Laundry Liquid as ‘cheap and very simple’.

‘The laundry liquid has a deliciously-sounding apple fragrance for an incredibly low price of $1.49 for a 2L bottle,’ the website explained.

Meanwhile, ALDI’s Almat Laundry Liquid Concentrate was described to ‘consistently rate highly’ in Canstar Blue’s annual review of their laundry products.

‘Almat uses three enzymes to get into fabric fibres and lift out soiling and stains in both hot and cold water. It’s claimed to put up a winning fight against stains like blood, milk, ink and food oil. Almat also contains optical brighteners that keep colours and whites bright,’ the website shared.

As a whole, ALDI received positive reviews from experts at Canstar Blue. ‘ALDI produces three different laundry detergent brands at different price points, each with both liquid and powder varieties. They cover a range of different laundry needs, from leaving your clothes smelling great to products with minimal irritants for sensitive skin,’ they said.

According to their report, the retailer has always been successful at producing items with good value for money. ‘It tends to manage the balance between low prices and quality products in a way that has drawn in swaths of customers. Its laundry detergents have been at the heart of ALDI’s success,’ they stated.

The website also claimed that, despite being priced below their competitors, ALDI’s laundry brands don’t compromise on their ability to perform their intended purpose. The website then said that ALDI’s products also ‘do better’ than most of their expensive counterparts.

‘All in all, ALDI appears to have struck a winning balance between product quality and price,’ they said.
Key Takeaways
  • A shopper tested ALDI's $1.99 Laundrite laundry detergent, finding it removed stains without soaking or pre-treating them.
  • ALDI shoppers praised the product in a Facebook group, with some claiming they have been using it for years.
  • Woolworths' and Coles' laundry detergents have also had positive reviews in other Facebook groups.
Members, have you used this detergent? What did you think? We’d love to hear your review in the comments below!

Sponsored
Never used it but need to give it a try. See if it gets the oil and grease stains out of the grandsons work clothes. Nothing else does since solvol got discontinued. It was amazing for removing oil and grease.
Have you tried Biozet Attack laundry liquid or powder? That stuff gets out most things from clothes ... even urine odours from animals. However, it won't remove old stains.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gsr and janj