Dog owner sounds alarm over popular Kmart toy’s ‘toxic’ ingredient

Kmart, a popular retail giant, has recently come under fire for selling a pet toy that contains a potentially lethal ingredient for dogs—ethylene glycol, also known as antifreeze.

This revelation has left many pet owners baffled and concerned, questioning the safety of pet products sold in mainstream stores.

During the festive season, a dog owner from Tasmania purchased the 'fetch cooling bone' for her beloved pet, Bandit. Priced at $5.50, the toy seemed like a harmless treat for her furry friend.

Admittedly, the dog owner said she was aware that the toy contained antifreeze, a substance known to be toxic to dogs, but assumed it would be safe as long as she supervised her pet while he played with it.

'I purposefully gave it to him where I could watch him, but within two minutes I looked away for about 30 seconds and looked back and he was crunching away at the stuff inside,' the pet owner shared online.

Screenshot 2024-01-03 115117.png
This pet toy contains a substance known as ‘antifreeze’ and is said to be harmful to pet animals. Image: Kmart/Instagram

To her horror, she discovered that Bandit had ingested the toxic substance. Even in small quantities, antifreeze can be deadly to dogs.

Bandit's mouth began to foam, a clear sign of distress, prompting the owner to rush him to the vet.

Thankfully, after being put on fluids and closely monitored, Bandit was given the all-clear and is expected to make a full recovery.

The pet owner admits that she should have 'known better' and initially hesitated to share her story due to guilt.

However, she felt it was crucial to warn other pet owners about the potential risks associated with such toys.

She expressed her bafflement that a retailer would sell toys containing such a toxic ingredient for the very animals they are intended for.

While there are warnings on the back of the packaging, the dog owner believes the deadly risks should be stated more clearly.

'I don't think there is much awareness of ethylene glycol toxicity...I shudder to think of other dog owners who are not aware of the dangers and give it to their dogs,' she wrote.

According to reports, it’s understood that this incident marks the first complaint Kmart has received regarding this product. However, the retailer encourages customers to voice any concerns they may have.

'Safety is always our number one priority, and we always want to hear from customers about any concerns with our products so we can investigate and review,' a Kmart spokesperson told a news source.

The Dangers of Antifreeze in Pet Toys

Antifreeze is a common ingredient in many household and automotive products.

While it's useful for its intended purposes, it's highly toxic to pets, even in small amounts. When ingested, it can cause kidney failure, nervous system damage, and even death in dogs.

The problem with antifreeze is that it has a sweet taste, which can be appealing to pets. This makes it all the more dangerous when it's found in pet toys, as dogs are likely to chew and potentially ingest the substance.

While it's not illegal to use antifreeze in pet products, it's certainly a questionable practice. Pet owners should always check the ingredients of pet toys and avoid those containing potentially harmful substances.

In light of this incident, it's clear that pet owners need to be vigilant about the products they purchase for their pets.

Always read labels carefully, and if in doubt, consult with a vet or pet care professional here.

Unfortunately, this is not the first time Kmart's pet products have been scrutinised for posing a danger to dogs.

In December, a festive-themed dog treat containing rawhide was flagged for its potential to cause choking. You can read more of that here.

'Rawhide is particularly dangerous as it is a by-product from the leather industry,' warned Kirra Graham, Director of Pet Drs.

Remember, it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to the health and wellbeing of our furry friends.

Key Takeaways
  • A dog owner in Tasmania called out Kmart for selling a cooling bone toy containing antifreeze, which is deadly to dogs.
  • The pet owner alleges her dog consumed the substance and had to receive emergency veterinary care, but made a full recovery.
  • The pet owner expressed her concern that the dangers of ethylene glycol (antifreeze) were not clearly stated on the packaging.
  • Kmart has encouraged customers to report any issues with their products, stating that safety is their top priority, and has also faced previous criticism for selling potentially dangerous pet products.

Have you had a similar experience with pet products? Share your stories and help raise awareness about this important issue regarding pet healthcare.

Sponsored
Kmart, a popular retail giant, has recently come under fire for selling a pet toy that contains a potentially lethal ingredient for dogs—ethylene glycol, also known as antifreeze.

This revelation has left many pet owners baffled and concerned, questioning the safety of pet products sold in mainstream stores.

During the festive season, a dog owner from Tasmania purchased the 'fetch cooling bone' for her beloved pet, Bandit. Priced at $5.50, the toy seemed like a harmless treat for her furry friend.

Admittedly, the dog owner said she was aware that the toy contained antifreeze, a substance known to be toxic to dogs, but assumed it would be safe as long as she supervised her pet while he played with it.

'I purposefully gave it to him where I could watch him, but within two minutes I looked away for about 30 seconds and looked back and he was crunching away at the stuff inside,' the pet owner shared online.

View attachment 38541
This pet toy contains a substance known as ‘antifreeze’ and is said to be harmful to pet animals. Image: Kmart/Instagram

To her horror, she discovered that Bandit had ingested the toxic substance. Even in small quantities, antifreeze can be deadly to dogs.

Bandit's mouth began to foam, a clear sign of distress, prompting the owner to rush him to the vet.

Thankfully, after being put on fluids and closely monitored, Bandit was given the all-clear and is expected to make a full recovery.

The pet owner admits that she should have 'known better' and initially hesitated to share her story due to guilt.

However, she felt it was crucial to warn other pet owners about the potential risks associated with such toys.

She expressed her bafflement that a retailer would sell toys containing such a toxic ingredient for the very animals they are intended for.

While there are warnings on the back of the packaging, the dog owner believes the deadly risks should be stated more clearly.

'I don't think there is much awareness of ethylene glycol toxicity...I shudder to think of other dog owners who are not aware of the dangers and give it to their dogs,' she wrote.

According to reports, it’s understood that this incident marks the first complaint Kmart has received regarding this product. However, the retailer encourages customers to voice any concerns they may have.

'Safety is always our number one priority, and we always want to hear from customers about any concerns with our products so we can investigate and review,' a Kmart spokesperson told a news source.

While it's useful for its intended purposes, it's highly toxic to pets, even in small amounts. When ingested, it can cause kidney failure, nervous system damage, and even death in dogs.

The problem with antifreeze is that it has a sweet taste, which can be appealing to pets. This makes it all the more dangerous when it's found in pet toys, as dogs are likely to chew and potentially ingest the substance.

While it's not illegal to use antifreeze in pet products, it's certainly a questionable practice. Pet owners should always check the ingredients of pet toys and avoid those containing potentially harmful substances.

In light of this incident, it's clear that pet owners need to be vigilant about the products they purchase for their pets.

Always read labels carefully, and if in doubt, consult with a vet or pet care professional here.

Unfortunately, this is not the first time Kmart's pet products have been scrutinised for posing a danger to dogs.

In December, a festive-themed dog treat containing rawhide was flagged for its potential to cause choking. You can read more of that here.

'Rawhide is particularly dangerous as it is a by-product from the leather industry,' warned Kirra Graham, Director of Pet Drs.

Remember, it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to the health and wellbeing of our furry friends.

Key Takeaways

• A dog owner in Tasmania called out Kmart for selling a cooling bone toy containing antifreeze, which is deadly to dogs.
  • The pet owner alleges her dog consumed the substance and had to receive emergency veterinary care, but made a full recovery.
  • The pet owner expressed her concern that the dangers of ethylene glycol (antifreeze) were not clearly stated on the packaging.
  • Kmart has encouraged customers to report any issues with their products, stating that safety is their top priority, and has also faced previous criticism for selling potentially dangerous pet products.

Have you had a similar experience with pet products? Share your stories and help raise awareness about this important issue regarding pet healthcare.

We stopped buying toys for K, Mark, Bunnings, etc, due to the fact they are filled with felt or some sort of material. My dog goal in life is to get to this product and eat the product, toy may last a week if we are lucky. We have started using "KONG KNOTS" Toys (Pet Stop) as they have rope inside, a squeaky. Our dog was given one before xmas and it has held up very well, nothing like eyes , Etc she can chew off, full stitched. Best $22.00 dollars we have every spent.

Reactions: Dee G and Annna
Our 17 month old Miniature Poodle would chomp through that in two minutes!

All pet owners should be aware of any toys or pet related stuff from China. They don't care about your pets and, like stores selling pet products, only care about profits. I certainly check out everything before I introduce it to any of my pets.
If they put melamine in baby milk formula, that killed babies, do you really think they care about you or your pets? Stop dreaming and wake up to the reality of what Chinese products are all about. Cheap, nasty and badly made. It's unfortunate that we've been sold out so much that it is almost impossible to get Australian made things these days.

View attachment 38541

Key Takeaways

Many dog toys now have squeaky things inside. My little dachshund absolutely pulls her toys to bits. I have been concerned that she may swallow the small part, so I don't buy those any more.

Reactions: Dee G and Annna
Agree that the Kong Knot toys are the best. Our little Pomeranian, Albie, favours and loves these toys over the others that he has and loves chewing them and playing with them. There are such a variety of different ones and they come in a variety of sizes. Other types we found do not cater for the tiny dogs. Other cheaper toys last for only a few days and fall apart, the Kong ones last and are easy to wash and dry, and makes them look new again, we have had these now for ages and they get a work out. It is worth the little extra for quality and they do last. I worry about what the cheap ones are stuffed with. My mum always used to say, pay the little extra for quality and it is a bargain in the end as it will last. In this case she was right.

Our 17 month old Miniature Poodle would chomp through that in two minutes!
Yes, I believe heaps of dogs would chew these bloody things.

Of all the materials available for the manufacture of dog toys, why oh why for the love of God would the makers pick ANTI-FREEZE as an ingredient given that small amounts of this poison can be FATAL?

Reactions: Knell and Dee G
Kmart and other retailers should not offer dog toys that contain ANTI-FREEZE for sale. These stores should similarly discontinue selling animal hide items.

In fact these multibillion dollar businesses should do the investigation PRIOR to stocking these crappy items rather than placing the responsibility of reading the frigging packaging in a country as diverse as this one where millions of people may not not even have the English language skills to read the fine print warnings!

Reactions: Dee G
Kmart and major retailers could insist on safe ingredients from suppliers since they buy millions of dollars of stock from them. They have the buying power to only accept safe items.

Please don't comment to say that 'safe' equates with higher cost.

Safe non-toxic scraps can be sourced from hundreds of industries. Knocking on other doors doesn't add to cost.

Why do unsafe items have to kill or damage lives (people's and animals) before they are ditched. Don't sell the crap in the first place.

Reactions: Knell and Dee G