Dog owner shocked after reading the threatening note their neighbour left on their doorstep

We have all had our fair share of troublesome neighbour stories. Whether it’s their constant mowing at indecent hours, their late-night gym sessions, or frequent parties that wake the entire neighbourhood up, a lot of us have had to deal with rowdy people who refuse to change their ways.

But imagine receiving a letter from your neighbour implying that harm will come to your beloved pet – now that is downright terrifying.

Unfortunately, this is also what happened to one Gold Coast resident who discovered a threatening letter left on their doorstep by an anonymous neighbour.

The unnamed resident was left dumbfounded after receiving the letter.

In the letter, the neighbour complained about the dog ‘barking in the middle of the night’.

It read: ‘Your dog is a f***ing joke. We have had to listen to this piece of s*** bark all night. It is now 2 am and it’s still barking. We will be emailing the council.’

dog1.jpg
Dogs are naturally curious creatures. Credit: Brett Sayles/Pexels

At the bottom of the letter, it read: ‘By the way, it would be terrible if it got sick.’ (I just felt a chill run down my spine, folks.)

The resident said their pet wasn’t the one responsible for the noise, and further stated that there’s another dog behind their property that barks non-stop in the middle of the night.

‘We would appreciate it if they would not threaten our dog getting poisoned,’ the resident said. They later added that this act was a ‘criminal offence’.

The letter, which was posted on the Helensvale Community page on Facebook, caused outrage among the local community.

note1.jpg
The note in question. Credit: Facebook

The admin of the community page stated that there ‘are better ways to discuss things like this with your neighbours’.

‘Threatening behaviour is not the way! Talk to your neighbours like adults or contact the council/RSPCA or police,’ they added.

Many community members expressed their anger at the ‘gutless’ and ‘disgusting’ note.

One said: ‘Hopefully whatever piece of s*** wrote this will be on this group and realise how low they are.’

‘That’s disgusting and it’s a threat to hurt an animal,’ wrote another.

Someone else commented that the anonymous neighbour was ‘absolutely pathetic’, while another shared that some people are just ‘spineless’.

‘I get that the barking would be frustrating, but get the facts right and then go speak to the person like an adult,’ one added.

dog2.jpg
The note sparked anger among local community members. Credit: Yuliya Strizhkina/Pexels

Others wrote about how they would react if they received a similar letter, one even said they would go on a ‘rampage’ if their pet was threatened.

Similar stories were also brought up in the comments section. One family in Queensland also received a threatening letter in their mailbox, stating that their dogs will be poisoned if they don't stop barking. You can read more on that here.

The Gold Coast Council advised residents to talk to their neighbours first before reporting incidents like this one.

According to the council, a barking dog only becomes a ‘noise nuisance’ if the barking continues more than once and ‘disrupts or inhibits an activity ordinarily carried out on adjoining or nearby residential premises’.

‘Ordinary activities’ in this context include: holding a conversation, watching television, listening to the radio at an ordinary volume, or falling/staying asleep.

Council added that barking is a natural behaviour for dogs and ‘is one of the ways they communicate’.

When someone complains about a barking dog, the council will contact the owner and notify them of the complaint. The owner will then have to provide reasons why their pet may make excessive noise and would need to suggest ways it could be resolved. The owner is usually given two weeks to solve the noise problem.

If the owner fails to resolve this within the given time frame, the complainants will be asked to complete a Noise Nuisance Record Sheet, and the council will use this to determine if a notice should be served to the owner. If the owner fails to make the barking stop, the council may issue up to two fines as an initial warning. If it persists, the council may seize the dog or begin action against the owner.

Key Takeaways

• A Gold Coast dog owner received a threatening letter from an anonymous neighbour about their dog allegedly barking in the middle of the night.
  • The local community reacted with outrage to the letter and suggested that a face-to-face conversation would be a far more effective way to address concerns about barking dogs.
  • The local council advises residents with concerns about barking dogs to speak directly with the dog owner in the first instance, and if the problem persists, residents can report the issue to the council.
  • If the noise nuisance persists, fines may be issued or legal action may be taken.
What are your thoughts on this matter? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
We have all had our fair share of troublesome neighbour stories. Whether it’s their constant mowing at indecent hours, their late-night gym sessions, or frequent parties that wake the entire neighbourhood up, a lot of us have had to deal with rowdy people who refuse to change their ways.

But imagine receiving a letter from your neighbour implying that harm will come to your beloved pet – now that is downright terrifying.

Unfortunately, this is also what happened to one Gold Coast resident who discovered a threatening letter left on their doorstep by an anonymous neighbour.

In the letter, the neighbour complained about the dog ‘barking in the middle of the night’.

It read: ‘Your dog is a f***ing joke. We have had to listen to this piece of s*** bark all night. It is now 2 am and it’s still barking. We will be emailing the council.’

View attachment 11976

At the bottom of the letter, it read: ‘By the way, it would be terrible if it got sick.’ (I just felt a chill run down my spine, folks.)

The resident said their pet wasn’t the one responsible for the noise, and further stated that there’s another dog behind their property that barks non-stop in the middle of the night.

‘We would appreciate it if they would not threaten our dog getting poisoned,’ the resident said. They later added that this act was a ‘criminal offence’.

The letter, which was posted on the Helensvale Community page on Facebook, caused outrage among the local community.

View attachment 11978

The admin of the community page stated that there ‘are better ways to discuss things like this with your neighbours’.

‘Threatening behaviour is not the way! Talk to your neighbours like adults or contact the council/RSPCA or police,’ they added.

Many community members expressed their anger at the ‘gutless’ and ‘disgusting’ note.

One said: ‘Hopefully whatever piece of s*** wrote this will be on this group and realise how low they are.’

Someone else commented that the anonymous neighbour was ‘absolutely pathetic’, while another shared that some people are just ‘spineless’.

‘I get that the barking would be frustrating, but get the facts right and then go speak to the person like an adult,’ one added.

View attachment 11977
The note sparked anger among local community members. Credit: Yuliya Strizhkina/Pexels

Others wrote about how they would react if they received a similar letter, one even said they would go on a ‘rampage’ if their pet was threatened.

Similar stories were also brought up in the comments section. One family in Queensland also received a threatening letter in their mailbox, stating that their dogs will be poisoned if they don't stop barking. You can read more on that here.

The Gold Coast Council advised residents to talk to their neighbours first before reporting incidents like this one.

According to the council, a barking dog only becomes a ‘noise nuisance’ if the barking continues more than once and ‘disrupts or inhibits an activity ordinarily carried out on adjoining or nearby residential premises’.

‘Ordinary activities’ in this context include: holding a conversation, watching television, listening to the radio at an ordinary volume, or falling/staying asleep.

Council added that barking is a natural behaviour for dogs and ‘is one of the ways they communicate’.

When someone complains about a barking dog, the council will contact the owner and notify them of the complaint. The owner will then have to provide reasons why their pet may make excessive noise and would need to suggest ways it could be resolved. The owner is usually given two weeks to solve the noise problem.

If the owner fails to resolve this within the given time frame, the complainants will be asked to complete a Noise Nuisance Record Sheet, and the council will use this to determine if a notice should be served to the owner. If the owner fails to make the barking stop, the council may issue up to two fines as an initial warning. If it persists, the council may seize the dog or begin action against the owner.

Key Takeaways

• A Gold Coast dog owner received a threatening letter from an anonymous neighbour about their dog allegedly barking in the middle of the night.
  • The local community reacted with outrage to the letter and suggested that a face-to-face conversation would be a far more effective way to address concerns about barking dogs.
  • The local council advises residents with concerns about barking dogs to speak directly with the dog owner in the first instance, and if the problem persists, residents can report the issue to the council.
  • If the noise nuisance persists, fines may be issued or legal action may be taken.
I live in a block of units and on Friday started fostering a 10 month old Jug puppy. Before I got him, I put a letter in every neighbour’s mailbox letting them know about it and there could be some barking whilst he’s settling in. Please contact me directly if there were any issues!

The only issue has been when he’s told me through the night he needs to go to the toilet, I never trained him to do this and he won’t use the puppy pads I’ve provided 😂. But when I open my door, it wakes the two puppies downstairs and they start barking.

These two dogs as well as the one living directly next door to me, bark all day and the majority of the night. I and several other residents have spoken to their owners who just don’t care about anyone but themselves. Yes, it’s frustrating but it’s the owners fault!

This little boy I temporarily have is a great little pup. He’s a fast learner and is quiet and happy. If I lived in appropriate housing with a little yard, he’d definitely be a foster fail as I’d adopt him myself!

People like my neighbours don’t deserve pets neither does the owner of the barking dog in the unit of this lady’s building. I hope they find out who put that notice up about her furbaby. I would be beside myself. The neighbour, if he can hurt animals, who knows what he is capable of!!!!

Definitely no need for the last part of the letter.

I would first speak to the neighbour and if that didn't work Then the council.

2 am the other morning an alarm was going off for 2 hours . I went outside to see where it was coming from and couldn't work it out , it sounded like it was coming from the next street over at the front , then it sounded like it was coming from behind. I then realised noise doesn't necessarily be coming from where you think it is.
I pity the person who was living next to the alarm.

It all comes down to respect...respect and keep your noise down...respect your neighbours and how you approach them

New people bought the house across the road from where a friend lives in Nov last yr and they came with 2 adult dogs, a German Shepherd and a Corgi. During the day as soon as the friend opens her front door these dogs start barking and don't stop until she goes back upstairs. She has to put up with this while doing her gardening and yard work which can last for up to 2hrs. The dog next door to her is a chihuahua cross and an indoor dog that can hear her go out onto her back verandah or side yard and will starting yapping non stop as well. My friend has a small breed 2yr old indoor dog which she has painstakingly trained not to bark at her command but it has got to a point lately where she just doesn't bother to stop him barking anymore as she says what is the point when none of the neighbours stop their mutes from yapping all the time.

View attachment 11976

View attachment 11978

View attachment 11977

Key Takeaways

As I had to put my loving furbaby to sleep, only a few months ago, worsening epilepsy seizures, these actions are done so much the wrong way around. I sincerely hope that the neighbour who sent the note is dealt with. Nobody has the right to tell anyone else how to look after their kids (of which our furbabies actually are).

As I had to put my loving furbaby to sleep, only a few months ago, worsening epilepsy seizures, these actions are done so much the wrong way around. I sincerely hope that the neighbour who sent the note is dealt with. Nobody has the right to tell anyone else how to look after their kids (of which our furbabies actually are).
I think if dogs are constantly barking and the owner doesn't fix the problem then neighbours do have a say , but needs to be done the correct way.

If a child was crying all the time I would go and ask if everything was alright and if they needed help.
A parent wouldn't leave a child crying 24 / 7 and 7 days a week so why should a dog owner let their dog bark 24 /7
Usually if a dog is constantly barking it means they are either bored or something is wrong.

If someone wants a dog or any animal then they need to take responsibility.

I have 13 kids and they never annoyed the neighbours

Reactions: terri
It all comes down to respect.

I've been awake since 4.30 all because my neighbour for who knows what reason took her glass bottles out into her recycle bin and her bin is near my bedroom window. Like I said respect 🤔🤢

• Wow
Reactions: terri
The Gutless spine has to write a threatening letter, to Gutless to talk to the owner in person.

Reactions: Defiant540
Sorry for the loss of your furbaby 🥰🐶🤗

• Sad
Reactions: Defiant540