SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Does anyone know what's wrong with our plant?

Hello!

This morning I noticed something weird on one of our office plants. It almost looks like white sugar.

Has anyone seen this before? A vague Google search suggested that it might be salt deposits because of the hard water in NSW.

IMG_8701.jpg
A far-away view

IMG_8700.jpg
A closer look

We would really appreciate any insights!

Take your plant and give it a good soak, wash the whole plant including the roots and leaves with fresh water then transplant into new good quality potting soil containing water crystal and fertilise. Yourplant should revive beautifully.

Reactions: Leeta069
The plant is under stress from lack of water. Yes, it needs to be soaked .I soak mine once a week . Spray with White Oil in a spray can from Bunnings. Feed with Seasol as per directions.

Reactions: Jest
Being in airconditioning it has probably dried out at some point.....or somebody is tipping something liquid that they shouldn't be into it. Some need more natural light than they get indoors

Your plant is infested with Wooly Aphids. They can be killed off with white oil or a Neem spray, the sooner the better. They also can attack the roots of your plants and kill it. ABC gardening guru Jane addressed this problem last Saturday morning. Try to can access the radio program for advice or just Google for advice. They have been a plague in various areas.

All the above is great advice but - DON'T FORGET TO TALK TO IT. They get very moody if you ignore them and can cause immense damage (Day of the Triffids).

Reactions: MariaG
Maybe mealy bug? Try white oil.
How do I get rid of mealy bugs in Australia?

Mealy Bugs - Gardening Australia

For minor outbreaks, remove visible insects by hand or with a hose. You can also dab methylated spirits directly onto the bugs with a cotton bud. Gently wipe down the leaves with a damp cloth to remove visible pests. Spray plant thoroughly with horticultural oil or soapy water to suffocate and kill the mealy bug.16 Sept 2021

When I need expert diagnosis, I pick up the pot plant, give it a cosy box to sit in, put it on the back seat of the car (seat-belt on), and drive to my local plant centre. They always know how to help me.
Doesn't hurt to give it a dose of car karaoke on the way .

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Chips