Documentary exposes ‘harmful metals’ in popular Temu products

As the digital marketplace continues to expand and the convenience of online shopping becomes ever more ingrained in our daily lives, it's crucial to stay informed about the safety of the products we bring into our homes.

A recent bombshell documentary has raised serious concerns about the safety of products sold on Temu, a platform that has gained popularity in Australia for its ultra-cheap household items and fashion accessories.

The Truth About Temu: Dispatches, a documentary released in the United Kingdom, aired on Channel 4 and shocked consumers who frequent the online marketplace.

The investigative report, led by Ellie Flynn, revealed that a number of products sold on Temu contained dangerously high levels of harmful metals.

shutterstock_2279938917.jpg
A documentary reported that ‘harmful metals’ were found in Temu products. Image source: Shutterstock

For those unfamiliar, Temu, which launched in Australia 12 months ago, has become a go-to destination for bargain hunters looking for deals on items ranging from $5.68 slides to $7.07 handbags and even $4.94 carry-size sewing kits. However, the low prices may come at a high cost to health and safety.

In the documentary, Flynn purchased several items from Temu, including a silver-effect necklace ($4.16 AUD), a gold-effect chain ($5.70 AUD), and a children's jacket ($21.27 AUD), and sent them to a toxicology lab for rigorous testing.

The findings were alarming.

The silver necklace contained 10 times more lead than the legal limit allowed in the United Kingdom.

The gold chain's clasp had 17mg per kg of lead, and another part of the chain had 26.7mg per kg of lead, both exceeding UK legal standards. It also contains 27 times more cadmium than allowed in the UK.

The children's jacket contained 82.5mg per kg of antimony in the brown material and 33.6mg per kg in the leather.

Exposure to high levels of lead and cadmium can lead to severe health issues.

According to the Mayo Clinic, excessive lead exposure can result in headaches, high blood pressure, mood disorders, and reproductive problems, including miscarriage, stillbirth, or premature birth in pregnant women.

Cadmium exposure is linked to kidney damage, and antimony exposure can cause issues with the skin, eyes, lungs, heart, and stomach.

Following the documentary, Temu responded by removing the problematic items from its site and stating that it was working with merchants to ensure quality.

The platform reportedly stated: ‘We aim not just to meet the minimum legal requirements but to exceed them and will continue to devote significant resources to improving consumer protection.’

‘Temu takes the safety of products sold by third-party merchants…very seriously…we have a comprehensive vetting, monitoring, and enforcement process to ensure that products meet platform rules and regulatory requirements.’

‘We immediately remove any product listings in question pending a review,’ they added.

This incident is not the first controversy for Temu. The platform has previously been in the news for the gamification of its app, which some claim causes an unhealthy obsession among users. Additionally, cybersecurity concerns have been raised about the potential risks associated with the data collected by the app.

As seniors, it's particularly important to be vigilant when shopping online. While the convenience and savings can be appealing, the safety of the products we purchase should always be a top priority.

It's essential to read reviews, research the products, and understand the terms and conditions of the apps we use.

If you've purchased items from Temu or similar online marketplaces, it's advisable to monitor for any safety recalls or warnings.

Should you have concerns about a product's safety, don't hesitate to reach out to the retailer for clarification or to report the issue.

You can find a clip of the documentary here:

Source: YouTube​

Key Takeaways
  • A British documentary claimed that products sold on Temu contain dangerously high levels of ‘harmful metals’ like lead and cadmium.
  • Temu, which has been operating in Australia for 12 months, has become known for its ultra-cheap products.
  • Toxicological testing on some goods purchased from Temu revealed lead levels exceeding UK legal limits and high amounts of other harmful substances.
  • Temu removed the highlighted items from its website and stated that it works with merchants to ensure quality and safety.
At the Seniors Discount Club, we encourage our members to share their experiences and tips for safe online shopping. Have you encountered any issues with products purchased online? What measures do you take to ensure the safety of the items you buy? Join the conversation in the comments below and help us build a community of informed and savvy senior shoppers.

Sponsored
I was looking for some craft items and went to Temu but found what I wanted on Wish, probably another Chinese site. But found Wish cheaper than Temu for what I was looking for. We will see what they are like when they arrive.

Reactions: Johan van Zalen
I was looking for some craft items and went to Temu but found what I wanted on Wish, probably another Chinese site. But found Wish cheaper than Temu for what I was looking for. We will see what they are like when they arrive.
The big difference between Wish & Temu is the cost of postage. With Wish every item has its own postage where Temu has free postage & everything is sent out in one package.

The big difference between Wish & Temu is the cost of postage. With Wish every item has its own postage where Temu has free postage & everything is sent out in one package.
I just looked at my order and they combined the postage on all of the items?

They must have changed their postage policy since I last ordered. Maybe with Temu as competition they had to change. Some of my past orders from Wish I paid almost double the item amount because of postage.

• Wow
Reactions: kbwise and Liz
What a load of alarmist rubbish! The toxicological data for the mentioned metals are discussed as the LD50 value - that is a 50% morality rate when exposed to such levels ORALLY. Oral exposure is the most effective method for a toxin to exert its effect. Inhalation is the next effective, while dermal exposure is the least by a long way.

LD50 for lead 4665 mg/kg of bodyweight in males and 5610 mg/kg of body weight in females.
LD50 for cadmium 72 mg/kg of bodyweight (not gender specific).

LD50 for antimony greater than 2000 mg/kg of bodyweight (rabbits).

Do you know anybody who eats their jewellery or clothes? It would take a 70 kg male to ingest 325 grams of lead to probably kill him. This equates to over 12 kg of gold chain. NOBODY does that! The poor fellow would die of abdominal obstruction before any effect the lead would have.

There is a limit that you must buy to get free postage. Mine is $40. I know some friends have $45 and $50 so it may depend on how much you buy over time. You may not have reached that limit with your purchase...

What a load of alarmist rubbish! The toxicological data for the mentioned metals are discussed as the LD50 value - that is a 50% morality rate when exposed to such levels ORALLY. Oral exposure is the most effective method for a toxin to exert its effect. Inhalation is the next effective, while dermal exposure is the least by a long way.

LD50 for lead 4665 mg/kg of bodyweight in males and 5610 mg/kg of body weight in females.
LD50 for cadmium 72 mg/kg of bodyweight (not gender specific).

LD50 for antimony greater than 2000 mg/kg of bodyweight (rabbits).

Do you know anybody who eats their jewellery or clothes? It would take a 70 kg male to ingest 325 grams of lead to probably kill him. This equates to over 12 kg of gold chain. NOBODY does that! The poor fellow would die of abdominal obstruction before any effect the lead would have.
"Morality" rate should be "Mortality" rate. Maybe.

Yeah I might give wish a try as well

They must have changed their postage policy since I last ordered. Maybe with Temu as competition they had to change. Some of my past orders from Wish I paid almost double the item amount because of postage.
All my orders have from Temu have been free postage.