Doctor inherits $24 million windfall amidst legal battle over patient's will

The realm of medical care is no stranger to unexpected outcomes that can sometimes lead to legal battles that highlight the complexities of patient rights and healthcare provider responsibilities.

However, in a tale that seems more akin to the plot of a dramatic novel than everyday life, a recent case involving substantial financial claims has emerged.

This development underscores the delicate balance between medical practice and patient expectations.

Dr Peter Alexakis, a Sydney GP, is set to receive a substantial inheritance from his patient after being named the primary beneficiary in the will, despite challenges from the deceased's friends and the Salvation Army.

Following a successful case in the NSW Court of Appeal last month, Dr Alexakis is entitled to 90 per cent of the estate left by Raymond McClure, an 84-year-old millionaire who amassed his wealth from property sales in the United States before relocating to Australia.

compressed-shutterstock_559744195.jpeg
Sydney GP Dr Peter Alexakis will inherit 90 per cent of Raymond McClure's $24 million estate following a successful NSW Court of Appeal case. Credit: Shutterstock

Since Mr McClure had neither married nor had children, the majority of his $24 million wealth had initially been designated for the Salvation Army in a previous testament.

However, in the months leading up to his passing in 2017, Mr McClure revised his will to designate Dr Alexakis as the primary beneficiary, stipulating that 65 per cent of his estate would go to him.

Subsequently, the will was updated once more, increasing Dr Alexakis's share to 90 per cent of Mr McClure's estate, which included his residence in Strathfield, located in Sydney's western suburbs.

In an earlier iteration of Mr McClure's will, two of his friends were slated to inherit a combined total of up to 35 per cent.

In another earlier will before that, Mr McClure had designated the Salvation Army as the primary recipient of his estate.

However, in his final testament, he allocated nine and one per cent of his estate to his two friends, completely omitting the Salvation Army.

Additionally, Mr. McClure bequeathed $10,000 to a woman who had served as his caregiver in 2017.

Following Mr McClure's death, both the Salvation Army and his friends contested the will in an NSW court, alleging that Dr Alexakis had exerted ‘undue influence’ over Mr McClure to exploit him for financial gain.

The court, however, ruled in favour of Dr Alexakis, determining that no undue influence had been exercised.

According to court documents, Mr McClure had battled several health issues, including diabetes, prostate cancer, and renal failure.

As a result, he had been hospitalised intermittently since June 2015, eventually choosing to discharge himself and return home.

Dr Alexakis had been Mr McClure's doctor since 2015, attending him during hospital stays and later visiting him at home.

Dr Alexakis had previously inherited a sum of money from a patient who passed away in 2014, amounting to $86,380.

In the realm where medical care intersects with legal complexities, the recent case of Dr Peter Alexakis and his unexpected inheritance illustrates the intricate dynamics between healthcare providers and their patients' estates.

As Dr Alexakis navigates the aftermath of a contentious legal battle over a substantial legacy, another medical inquiry has emerged.

A paramedic faced scrutiny in an inquest regarding allegations of dismissing patient concerns before their untimely death.

These contrasting narratives underscore the critical importance of patient advocacy, transparency in medical practices, and the ethical responsibilities upheld by healthcare professionals.
Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney GP, Dr Peter Alexakis, will inherit 90 per cent of his patient Raymond McClure's $24 million estate after winning an NSW Court of Appeal case.
  • Raymond McClure previously had no immediate family and had once left the bulk of his estate to the Salvation Army but changed his will several times before his death in 2017.
  • Friends of the deceased and the Salvation Army challenged the will in court, arguing undue influence by Dr Alexakis, but the court found in favour of the doctor.
  • Court documents detail Mr McClure's medical issues and revealed that Dr Alexakis had been his GP since 2015, making hospital and home visits to the patient.
Have you ever considered the possibility of leaving a portion of your estate to someone outside your family or close circle of friends? How do you ensure your final wishes are respected and carried out as you intend? We invite you to share your thoughts on this intriguing story.

Sponsored
You can leave whatever you want to whoever.
I think the only people who should be able to contest a will is your children.

I wonder why he left it to his Dr and changed his mind with his friends and salvation army.

Did the Dr go the extra length and look after him well.
Did his friends stop visiting or being there for him.

Strange that he dropped the salvation army though, usually when someone has a charity in their will it's a charity they take to heart.

What rings alarm bells here is that this wasn't the first time this Doctor received inheritance from a patient. Once I would think rare but twice !!!

I've been seeing my doctor for 20 years and 20 years prior I saw her dad and if I didn't have kids I wouldn't leave it to her, I would leave it to a charity

In some people's wills they don't leave anything to a beneficiary who is well off and does not need it.
Obviously, it didn't apply in this case.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Hell no, that’s a doctor’s duty to provide care & medical advice/ treatment. As a rule, nurses do a great deal more towards care & nurture.

I am deeply grateful for the medical care I received during my 5 months in hospital fighting COVID 19. The professor actually saved my life but I still don’t believe I owe more than my deep gratitude.

I am certain the good doctor is not in need of this financial windfall. It would be great if he could find it in his heart to donate a major portion to charity instead of adding to his personal wealth which he can only spend by being wasteful.

I am certain the good doctor is not in need of this financial windfall. It would be great if he could find it in his heart to donate a major portion to charity instead of adding to his personal wealth which he can only spend by being wasteful.
Well maybe he will donate to charity I hope so also.🤓

• Haha
Reactions: NotNats
I would be interested to know if the Lucky Doctor knew of this before his patient's death.
Having said that he may well be the only friend he had. Seems funny though, if that is the case as people usually cling on to older people with money.

It seems a bit suspicious, that 5he Will had been changed a number of times. You wonder if the Dr had any influence over his patient

• Sad
Reactions: NotNats
the doctor obviously cared for this person so what the hell has it to do with friends and the salvation army.
they the SA gave millions to the yes vote and lost that so i say bug out.
Whose concern is this anyway? Not ours.

You can leave whatever you want to whoever.
I think the only people who should be able to contest a will is your children.

I wonder why he left it to his Dr and changed his mind with his friends and salvation army.

Did the Dr go the extra length and look after him well.
Did his friends stop visiting or being there for him.

Strange that he dropped the salvation army though, usually when someone has a charity in their will it's a charity they take to heart.

What rings alarm bells here is that this wasn't the first time this Doctor received inheritance from a patient. Once I would think rare but twice !!!

I've been seeing my doctor for 20 years and 20 years prior I saw her dad and if I didn't have kids I wouldn't leave it to her, I would leave it to a charity
This story/case been going over 12 months now & I have seen several articles elsewhere where more detail is given. Apparently the gentleman wrote the Salvos out of his will following the Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse when adverse findings were reported about certain Salvation Army-run Orphanages & the deceased made his opinion clear to others at that time. I'm surprised the Salvos bothered to contest the will as the Judge was unlikely to allow it - in fact it reflects badly on them in this instance given these circumstances.

The "Good", ha ha, quack had his own diagnosis for his patient. And, i.e. here is my chance for some extra good bootey to further enhance our lavish lifestyle much better. All he did was a good Con & his patient fell for it, "Lock, Stock & Barrell".

I can relate how the Church Of England in Dee Why, northern beaches of Sydney ( for info., interstaters), had my elderly aunt, my grandfathers young sister, change her will to the church. My mum's sister & her hubby who were also living at the household to help look after her, they found the burnt residue of a will in the ashes of the wood chip copper with my name as a recipient of her wishes.

My elderly aunt passed away at least 65 yrs ago. I reckon that the little cottage would be worth quite a bit of dough now. Ah well, that's life. I can't complain. I didn't know anything abt it for quite a while after. The minister certainly must have had the "Gift Of The Gab" on her.