Do you think this parking ticket is real or fake?

Imagine parking your car for a moment and returning to find a suspicious-looking parking ticket tucked under your windshield wiper.

It looks homemade, printed on regular paper with an inkjet printer. You're convinced it's a prank or a scam. But is it?

This was the exact scenario faced by a motorist who parked his car at the Richlands Train Station in Brisbane's south-west.

The ticket, which read 'QLD POLICE PARKING TICKET', also included these words: ‘(infringement notice) has been issued to this vehicle and will be posted to the registered owner’.

The piece of paper seemed so dubious that the driver took to social media to share his confusion.

qld.JPG
Do you think this parking ticket is fake? Image credit: Reddit.

'Scare tactic, or do police really hand out parking tickets at the Richlands train station car park?' he shared.

'It looks fake as and even looks like an ink printer was used.'

The ticket also had very limited information printed on the front, lacked an incident number, and even the ink seemed to run when wet.

‘I looked at it, and I'm like “this has to be fake”. I even wet the thing [ticket] a little bit and let it run, and it [the ink] looked like [it was printed by] an inkjet printer,' he explained.

However, online users were quick to confirm that the parking ticket the motorist received was legitimate.

‘Sadly, not fake. These are used when the police issue a ticket from their iPad. The ticket is printed and sent via post to the registered owner,’ one shared.

‘This happened to me once years ago. Got a parking ticket, but it got sent to an old address. Had no idea and carried on living my life,' someone else stated.

The driver, who was using his partner's car at the time, shared that he was fined for parking in the wrong spot inside the train station car park.

He had parked the car in an area close to the entrance of the car park as all the marked bays were full.

However, he stated that he wasn't the only one. Dozens of motorists had left their vehicles in the same empty spaces.

It is understood that drivers cannot park in these spots, as they can obstruct incoming cars entering the car park.

Meanwhile, Queensland Police also confirmed that these are legitimate parking tickets issued by officers to motorists who commit a parking offence.

'As the infringement notice is sent to the address of the person who the vehicle is registered to, the paper notice is put on the windscreen to let the driver know they’ve received an infringement while away from the vehicle,' a spokesperson said.
Key Takeaways
  • A driver was shocked to find that what he thought was a fake parking ticket on his car was actually a real fine.
  • The ticket, given to him at Richlands Train Station in Brisbane, was later confirmed by other users online and the Queensland Police to be a legitimate ticket issued for parking offences.
  • The fine was printed after being issued by an officer using an iPad, leading to its unofficial appearance, and sparking doubt about its authenticity.
  • Although the driver initially parked in an undesignated area due to a lack of available marked spaces, Queensland Police confirmed they issue fines for such offences, and the notice left on the windscreen serves to inform the driver of the infringement.
Have you ever received a suspicious-looking parking ticket like this one? Do you think it could use some work to make it look more official? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
The article keeps saying a "parking ticket" was left, NO, a notification that a ticket will be sent to the owner was left.

It is not an actual ticket, the ticket is being posted in the mail, just like a lot of parking and traffic infringements are today.

Reactions: maherdj
Fake. If I received one, it would be filed away in the circular filing cabinet - the garbage bin.
It's clearly NOT a ticket, it's a notification that a ticket is being sent to the owners address. Naturally you throw it away, that does not stop the ticket arriving in a few days time.

So you'd ignore the QLD Police parking ticket you get in the mail? What makes you so entitled to think laws do not apply to you? Why do you think you can park wherever you like? You are NOT that important, only in your mind.
I haven't paid a parking fine, fine for not voting, or any other fine for over 30 years. Why should I start now?

• Angry
Reactions: siameezer
And in the near future you would receive a phone call from the police saying they have a warrant for your arrest or your license has been cancelled and a bigger fine has now been issued. It never ends.
Can't lose what you haven't got. A warrant for arrest for non payment of fines? That went out with the ark.
So you'd ignore the QLD Police parking ticket you get in the mail? What makes you so entitled to think laws do not apply to you? Why do you think you can park wherever you like? You are NOT that important, only in your mind.
Considering I live in Melbourne....

Reactions: Angela Cockburn
Please go back to what the conversation is all about. If you want to start this sort of crap start it somewhere else.