Do you know about this brilliant $2 shoe DIY?

Finding fashionable and comfortable shoes for larger feet can prove challenging - and often costly. With prices for a good pair of shoes rising higher and higher, it can feel like a real burden on the budget.

But this savvy Kmart shopper has come up with a very clever – and very budget-friendly – way to get multiple pairs of her favourite shoes without breaking the bank.

Sharing her idea on Facebook, the woman said she had a lightbulb moment while mulling over the idea of buying multiple pairs of the same shoe because she wanted to accommodate her size 11 feet. She said that it was very difficult to find comfy shoes in her size.

‘I always struggle to get comfy, fashionable and colourful shoes for my size 11 feet that don't cost an arm and a leg,’ she wrote in her post.

shoes1.jpg
The woman vented her frustration of having a hard time trying to find comfortable shoes in her size. Credit: Web Donut/Pexels

Then she shared her secret: ‘I found a shoe from Target and bought acrylic paint from Kmart, and now I have six colourful pairs – plus I kept one in its original nude colour. Happy days.’

According to the savvy shopper, she used the $2 Acrylic Craft Paint available in Kmart’s craft section. Her shoes from Target cost $35 each, but you could use any of your choosing.

Not only did this thrifty shopper save a lot of money, but they also got to add their flair to each transformed shoe using the diverse colour range offered by Kmart's acrylic paint.

Of course, this ingenious idea is not exclusive to those with larger feet – it's perfect for anyone who wants to jazz up their shoes without putting a dent in their wallet!

Seeing the stunning rainbow of shoes posted on Facebook, there was an outpour of well-deserved praise from like-minded shoppers, who also face the same struggles due to size, availability or budget.

‘I LOVE this! I also have size 11 feet and struggle so much to find nice shoes too!’ One wrote.

Another commented: ‘Love this idea. I’m a size 11-12 and never can find shoes.’

shoes2.jpg
The clever woman now has a colourful collection of shoes to go with every outfit. Credit: Facebook

‘This has to be the best idea ever,’ a third person commented.

While another said they adore the woman’s new shoe collection. ‘Love them. Love you for thinking outside the box,’ they added.

While plenty praised the woman’s ingenuity, some wondered if the paint job could withstand the elements, such as rainwater or mud, or if the paint would rub off as soon as it got wet.

The woman said she hadn’t had any problems with her new footwear yet and revealed that she put a sealer on each pair.

‘I have put a sealer on them, but one pair got wet last week, and there were no issues. At only $2 a tube, I can touch up,’ she wrote.

The post inspired other DIY enthusiasts who shared their own methods of reshaping and redesigning footwear, using nail polish, fabric paint, or wood glue as their preferred tools.

‘Spotlight sells a fabric mix paint you can throw into any normal acrylic paint. I'd highly recommend that! It works, and it can go through the wash too,’ someone suggested.

Another replied that gloss water sealer Mod Podge was ‘the best way’ to protect painted shoes.

In a similar instance, another Kmart shopper turned their worn-out pair of Kmart shoes into an eye-catching masterpiece.

According to the DIYer, she was inspired to find a pair of shoes to match a lively blue dress she wanted to wear. Using a pair of plain black heels, she redecorated them using bright acrylic paint and added splotches of hot pink and gold to make the colours stand out. The finished product was so impressive that many social media users who saw her post said they wished they had the same talent.

Check out the photos of her redecorated pair of black heels here.
Key Takeaways
  • A woman shared her budget-friendly tip to replicate her favourite pair of shoes in different colours using $2 acrylic paint from Kmart.
  • The creative shopper applied the paint on a $35 pair of Target shoes and received praise from fellow size 11 shoe wearers for her ingenious idea.
  • The post sparked comments from others who shared their methods of redesigning shoes using nail polish, fabric paint, and wood glue.
  • The woman responded that she put a sealer on her painted shoes to prevent running and noted that she had no problems with her new footwear.
Do you have any ideas on how to spice up an old pair of shoes? Share your tips and experiences in the comments below!

• Haha
Reactions: Shane/#
Sponsored
You can buy the same lace ups at Kmart for $5.00 and they always have large sizes left in the Mt Ommaney store. And if you cant be bothered with the laces just slip some elastic around the eyelets and you have slip ons

Reactions: Jarred Santos