Do you have any of these coins? Their value has skyrocketed since Queen’s passing

Queen Elizabeth II’s death has left millions of people from across the globe mourning, with many remembering her for her service to the Commonwealth.

The Queen was a much-loved and respected figure, and her death has sent shockwaves through the world. She was the longest-serving monarch in British history, and her reign spanned more than six decades. During that time, she oversaw vast changes in her country and the world.

Elizabeth was born into a world of privilege, but she was also a woman of great duty and service. She became queen at a time of great upheaval, and she steered her country through some of its most difficult moments.

She was a symbol of stability during a period of great change, and she will be remembered for her dedication to her country and the Commonwealth nations.

Speaking of being a symbol for her country, the Queen's image was used on coins and banknotes, and she was a familiar face to many people around the world.

With her passing, these bills and coins need to be updated with her son King Charles III's image..

We previously discussed what will happen to Australian money when Queen Elizabeth II dies. Now, the predictions are turning into reality as the late Her Majesty spends her final days with her family before her burial at St George's Chapel on the grounds of Windsor castle.

Joel Kandiah, a 'money historian' and an expert on Australian coins, has identified the three coins whose value has risen since the passing of Queen Elizabeth II on September 8.

SqrETK0cVNvtdeEyOUxhtO-LuK_tSuQIxlprtE0pJWjAuBZTf54QBgoGk8KPyP3p_9pP2C-Lwe07llj-Ad628jF2Y3YvVw7MN6bbKjj0TOh7mBPn8XGFtDJI-eDktmKJvEaDzJ7jQ3C_UevlRLJpJJieblt3obtlDQEe6M_meYCxp_Zz-mIvb8sC

Australian coin expert Joel Kandiah has revealed the three coins whose values have increased since the death of Queen Elizabeth II on September 8. Credit: TikTok/@TheHistoryOfMoney.

The Perth coin collector, who goes by the username @TheHistoryOfMoney, has amassed a large following on social media thanks to his analysis of the worth of various coins and banknotes, inspiring millions to examine their spare change more carefully to uncover uncommon and priceless finds.

Now, in a recent interview with 7News, Joel refuted the common misconception that after the late monarch's departure, all paper money bearing her image would become more precious.

He explained: 'There are some items which have gone right up but most won’t.'

'With the notes, there has been no significant change in the collector’s value of £1, $1 and $5 notes. The criteria for them being rare remains the same now as it was before.'

'Coins, however, is a different story. There have been big movements in three particular coins.'

Joel suggested that coin hunters should keep an eye on The Queen's Platinum Jubilee 50c coin, the 2013 Coronation $2 coin, and the 'Effigies Over Time' collection set.

He remarked: 'These three items were already having a bit of hype before she passed away - and now they’re just going through the roof.'

'I honestly can’t believe it.'

'On Sunday, I purchased an Effigies set at auction for $75 on Sunday in an auction. Yesterday, they were clearing for $180.'

'There was a low mintage of 14,000 sets made with these sets - it just adds to the value.'

'But even the Platinum Jubilee 50c coin, the mintage on this one was 70,000 - and that is relatively normal. But because of the year, the jubilee, whatever - the value has gone way beyond expectations.'

The Perth coin collector also noted that it's difficult to predict just how much the value of these coins will increase.

'It’s very hard to predict the movements. I’m always very conservative in my valuations,' he explained.

'Not everything will go through the roof - $5 notes won’t go up, $1 notes won’t just because there were millions made. Millions upon millions.'

'And the rare ones are generally those with certain prefixes if it starts with an AA for example. That hasn’t suddenly changed because the Queen has passed away.'

Here's a more detailed explanation of the change in the valuation of the aforementioned coins.

1. 2013 Coronation $2 Coin

9EDmhxrGODmKSHMBch9izkkaCK6xet9weG8XP9JwLfHclSeLCDGVk8e5-8UkKEDkS3us6ZuolEvNUOKqsI34-fHxidhYKTYGmPEldCwJkSUvlGsRa3DldYEDZo6uPKQbZjhd9pwAZ_nm-6DxQZPx9QKEk5r8tkKKbSTlsC9j8jLdyFeXUhr8UsDJ

Credit: coinsaustralia.com.au

Joel said that prior to the late Queen's passing, these were worth between $40 and $140. However, they suddenly increased to between $75 and $180, depending on the condition.

He also noted that the mintage for this coin is limited, sharing that it had a mintage of 994,000.

2. Queen’s Platinum Jubilee 50c coin

JMsTBR5SGp__5ljV1dSbikcdi0WLHw6I6DADjQbO9aMg75woPWnW3m_ON4pC-xLcTRUMRYyMXElgf61xPUIiB220BidtxYfQ-zJQsWJn_98MOk1E6wWwW5CdQg24XsYRBajJKTgk6FrdOEK38_XJQwFoHNR7WW6SB8k0ekbqOpiGFkMavDJNUz9N

Credit: Town Hall Coins and Collectables

Earlier this year, a non-circulating 50c was issued in honour of the Queen's platinum jubilee. It had a mintage of 70,000 and an issue price of $12.50, but it is now selling for at least $100 each.

3. 2019 Queen ‘Effigies Over Time’ Set

Vx0luhOwR3aGuZEkchH_Z2WadoWxSbcj4jFKujQdfcA1wbflMd7mkHSKUZivHQx9nSumnAfNCOul3qfjPlJSdp_uvak0Ty4ANxbP7pdNJI_6w2dwxeO4PqZvZwu4nw-0WELttcas9x_XqtZXnDaKjnSoTqiGVAz2KdFGqPRHnKW35UJRQeT5CymC

Credit: govmint.com

In 2019, a set of coins (5c to $2) honouring the release of the Queen's new effigy was issued.

Each coin had a unique effigy that has been used in circulation, and the set cost $30.

Today, they sell for at least $160!

If you're lucky enough to come across a rare coin, you may be wondering how much it's worth. Here are a few tips from Joel to learn about their value.

First, consult the Renniks Australian Coin & Banknote Values book. While this won't give you an exact figure, it will give you a good starting point.

Next, check eBay. Search for the coin you have, then filter by sold items. This will give you an idea of what similar coins have recently sold for.

Finally, if you're still unsure, it's best to consult a professional dealer. They will be able to give you a more accurate estimate.

With these tips in mind, you should be able to get a good idea of how much your rare coin is worth.

By inspecting your spare change and looking for rare coins, you can earn some extra money.

Of course, you won’t be able to retire on your earnings from rare coins (we wish!). But it can be a fun way to make some extra cash. And who knows, you might even find a coin that’s worth a small fortune!

Sponsored
When we left the UK almost 40 years ago my parents gave us some coins, a proof crown and a sovereign, telling us that if everything turned to sh*t we could sell them to fund our fares back to the UK. Well, we never needed them, they are still tucked away somewhere in a drawer along with other bits and bobs of coins we collected over the years. I'm not sure why I still keep them, I suppose the kids will get any benefit or I might just pass them on to the Grandkids.;)

When we left the UK almost 40 years ago my parents gave us some coins, a proof crown and a sovereign, telling us that if everything turned to sh*t we could sell them to fund our fares back to the UK. Well, we never needed them, they are still tucked away somewhere in a drawer along with other bits and bobs of coins we collected over the years. I'm not sure why I still keep them, I suppose the kids will get any benefit or I might just pass them on to the Grandkids.;)
I'm a coin collector but the whole idea for me was to leave something for my kids and grandkids

Queen Elizabeth II’s death has left millions of people from across the globe mourning, with many remembering her for her service to the Commonwealth.

The Queen was a much-loved and respected figure, and her death has sent shockwaves through the world. She was the longest-serving monarch in British history, and her reign spanned more than six decades. During that time, she oversaw vast changes in her country and the world.

Elizabeth was born into a world of privilege, but she was also a woman of great duty and service. She became queen at a time of great upheaval, and she steered her country through some of its most difficult moments.

She was a symbol of stability during a period of great change, and she will be remembered for her dedication to her country and the Commonwealth nations.

Speaking of being a symbol for her country, the Queen's image was used on coins and banknotes, and she was a familiar face to many people around the world.

With her passing, these bills and coins need to be updated with her son King Charles III's image..

We previously discussed what will happen to Australian money when Queen Elizabeth II dies. Now, the predictions are turning into reality as the late Her Majesty spends her final days with her family before her burial at St George's Chapel on the grounds of Windsor castle.

Joel Kandiah, a 'money historian' and an expert on Australian coins, has identified the three coins whose value has risen since the passing of Queen Elizabeth II on September 8.

SqrETK0cVNvtdeEyOUxhtO-LuK_tSuQIxlprtE0pJWjAuBZTf54QBgoGk8KPyP3p_9pP2C-Lwe07llj-Ad628jF2Y3YvVw7MN6bbKjj0TOh7mBPn8XGFtDJI-eDktmKJvEaDzJ7jQ3C_UevlRLJpJJieblt3obtlDQEe6M_meYCxp_Zz-mIvb8sC

Australian coin expert Joel Kandiah has revealed the three coins whose values have increased since the death of Queen Elizabeth II on September 8. Credit: TikTok/@TheHistoryOfMoney.

The Perth coin collector, who goes by the username @TheHistoryOfMoney, has amassed a large following on social media thanks to his analysis of the worth of various coins and banknotes, inspiring millions to examine their spare change more carefully to uncover uncommon and priceless finds.

Now, in a recent interview with 7News, Joel refuted the common misconception that after the late monarch's departure, all paper money bearing her image would become more precious.

He explained: 'There are some items which have gone right up but most won’t.'

'With the notes, there has been no significant change in the collector’s value of £1, $1 and $5 notes. The criteria for them being rare remains the same now as it was before.'

'Coins, however, is a different story. There have been big movements in three particular coins.'

Joel suggested that coin hunters should keep an eye on The Queen's Platinum Jubilee 50c coin, the 2013 Coronation $2 coin, and the 'Effigies Over Time' collection set.

He remarked: 'These three items were already having a bit of hype before she passed away - and now they’re just going through the roof.'

'I honestly can’t believe it.'

'On Sunday, I purchased an Effigies set at auction for $75 on Sunday in an auction. Yesterday, they were clearing for $180.'

'There was a low mintage of 14,000 sets made with these sets - it just adds to the value.'

'But even the Platinum Jubilee 50c coin, the mintage on this one was 70,000 - and that is relatively normal. But because of the year, the jubilee, whatever - the value has gone way beyond expectations.'

The Perth coin collector also noted that it's difficult to predict just how much the value of these coins will increase.

'It’s very hard to predict the movements. I’m always very conservative in my valuations,' he explained.

'Not everything will go through the roof - $5 notes won’t go up, $1 notes won’t just because there were millions made. Millions upon millions.'

'And the rare ones are generally those with certain prefixes if it starts with an AA for example. That hasn’t suddenly changed because the Queen has passed away.'

Here's a more detailed explanation of the change in the valuation of the aforementioned coins.

1. 2013 Coronation $2 Coin

9EDmhxrGODmKSHMBch9izkkaCK6xet9weG8XP9JwLfHclSeLCDGVk8e5-8UkKEDkS3us6ZuolEvNUOKqsI34-fHxidhYKTYGmPEldCwJkSUvlGsRa3DldYEDZo6uPKQbZjhd9pwAZ_nm-6DxQZPx9QKEk5r8tkKKbSTlsC9j8jLdyFeXUhr8UsDJ

Credit: coinsaustralia.com.au

Joel said that prior to the late Queen's passing, these were worth between $40 and $140. However, they suddenly increased to between $75 and $180, depending on the condition.

He also noted that the mintage for this coin is limited, sharing that it had a mintage of 994,000.

2. Queen’s Platinum Jubilee 50c coin

JMsTBR5SGp__5ljV1dSbikcdi0WLHw6I6DADjQbO9aMg75woPWnW3m_ON4pC-xLcTRUMRYyMXElgf61xPUIiB220BidtxYfQ-zJQsWJn_98MOk1E6wWwW5CdQg24XsYRBajJKTgk6FrdOEK38_XJQwFoHNR7WW6SB8k0ekbqOpiGFkMavDJNUz9N

Credit: Town Hall Coins and Collectables

Earlier this year, a non-circulating 50c was issued in honour of the Queen's platinum jubilee. It had a mintage of 70,000 and an issue price of $12.50, but it is now selling for at least $100 each.

3. 2019 Queen ‘Effigies Over Time’ Set

Vx0luhOwR3aGuZEkchH_Z2WadoWxSbcj4jFKujQdfcA1wbflMd7mkHSKUZivHQx9nSumnAfNCOul3qfjPlJSdp_uvak0Ty4ANxbP7pdNJI_6w2dwxeO4PqZvZwu4nw-0WELttcas9x_XqtZXnDaKjnSoTqiGVAz2KdFGqPRHnKW35UJRQeT5CymC

Credit: govmint.com

In 2019, a set of coins (5c to $2) honouring the release of the Queen's new effigy was issued.

Each coin had a unique effigy that has been used in circulation, and the set cost $30.

Today, they sell for at least $160!

If you're lucky enough to come across a rare coin, you may be wondering how much it's worth. Here are a few tips from Joel to learn about their value.

First, consult the Renniks Australian Coin & Banknote Values book. While this won't give you an exact figure, it will give you a good starting point.

Next, check eBay. Search for the coin you have, then filter by sold items. This will give you an idea of what similar coins have recently sold for.

Finally, if you're still unsure, it's best to consult a professional dealer. They will be able to give you a more accurate estimate.

With these tips in mind, you should be able to get a good idea of how much your rare coin is worth.

By inspecting your spare change and looking for rare coins, you can earn some extra money.

Of course, you won’t be able to retire on your earnings from rare coins (we wish!). But it can be a fun way to make some extra cash. And who knows, you might even find a coin that’s worth a small fortune!
I have a collection of pennies and half pennies, I wonder if they will go up too.

Reactions: RTS, Ezzy and Ricci
Thank you for the information about the Rennicks book, I had never heard of it before. I inherited a heap of old Australian coins from my late Mum and have been wondering how to find out if anything was valuable. I have just ordered the book from my local bookshop and I'm picking it up tomorrow! :)

Thank you for the information about the Rennicks book, I had never heard of it before. I inherited a heap of old Australian coins from my late Mum and have been wondering how to find out if anything was valuable. I have just ordered the book from my local bookshop and I'm picking it up tomorrow! :)
As a long time collector of coins banknotes and stamps can I suggest you become familiar with grading of your coins first. a coined graded Very Good (vg) for instance is the lowest grade and generally not worth very much but as you go to higher grades Extra Fine (ef) and higher to Uncirculated choice uncirculated etc then that is where the value could be with rare coins.

Reactions: Ezzy, RTS and Ricci
When I was little we always looked out for the rare penny, 1932 I think.
A 1930 proof coin sold for over $1 million in 2019.

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci