DIY hack for cleaning silver jewellery in MINUTES using common pantry staples

It's likely that a good number of us SDC members have at least a few pieces of jewellery that they adore but are aware could use a little more TLC.

We expect our jewellery to shine, but over time, like most other things, exposure to dust and dirt, lotions and soaps, and even sweat, air, and moisture can dull our favourite pieces and rob them of their gleam.

Fortunately, the majority of the items in your jewellery box can be cleaned on your own without having to go to a professional jeweller.

A user on TikTok demonstrated how to bring back the lustre of silver that has been tarnished with just a few common pantry staples!

-Gr_TLq3KTkwlb-3VmvgPrYpmkq_E0VJNZ4aKPr-7EWP1qnkYWcqtyvkXq26ZI0VlYxK4sJ3j5A4ylG3w7u7maLrPutzw7n_j0fCHpL8q0J_betwIZ36Ykc_u45z4zAar9X6uAyz3Q1rS4a-Sw

A TikToker cleaned her sterling silver rings with a common pantry staple. Credit: TikTok/@emmarararara.

Emma, an Aussie retail worker, claims in a now-viral video on TikTok that cleaning your jewellery is as simple as mixing baking soda in a bowl with hot water and aluminium foil.

"Okay so the more I tell people about this hack, the more I realise that people don't know, and they need to know!" she said in the clip.

Here are the things you will need:
  • A small washtub or glass baking dish
  • Tea kettle or pot for boiling water
  • Aluminium foil
  • Baking soda
  • Table salt (optional)
  • Hot water
  • Soft, clean white rag

And here's how to do the cleaning method:

To begin, lay a large piece of aluminium foil across the base of the glass baking dish or the washtub you will be using.

After that, arrange your silver jewellery and other silver accessories so that they are atop the foil.

"You can use this on earrings, necklaces, anything with real diamonds or fake diamonds, just as long as it's 925 (sterling silver)," Emma noted in her video.

The next step is to sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda over the top of the silverware, which should take a few tablespoons. (Emma didn't mention it, but other sources say you can add a few tablespoons of table salt to the mixture as well.)

For the final step, pour hot water directly from the kettle over the jewellery and allow the solution to work its magic. Gently take them out and wipe them with a clean rag.

The dull pieces of jewellery were almost immediately transformed into shiny ones, which wowed tens of thousands of people on the social media platform.

Since it was first shared online, the video has been watched a staggering 948,000 times and has garnered the attention of hundreds of people who have provided feedback.

While most users found the cleaning hack effective and amazing, others pointed out that the jewellery company Pandora offers free cleaning services anyway, so customers might want to go there instead.

When salt, baking soda, aluminium foil, and water are combined, a chemical reaction called ion exchange occurs. The tarnish on the silver (silver sulphide) is converted back into silver during this process, and the sulphide on the foil becomes aluminium sulphide.

If your silver is dirty enough, brown or yellow flakes of tarnish will show up on the aluminium foil. In spite of the fact that this procedure is effective, the chemical reaction produces an odour that is not particularly pleasant; therefore, adequate ventilation is required.

It's possible that heavily tarnished silver will require a second (and even a third) soaking.

We hope this simple DIY cleaning hack has been helpful to you, members! If you have any other jewellery cleaning hacks you would like to share with the rest of us, please do so in the comments below.

Sponsored
Whilst this is good for silver jewellery it is different for gold or ones with precious stones in. For gold and stoned rings I put some washing up liquid in an egg cup, enough to cover my rings. Leave them overnight and then in the morning give them a quick brush over with an old toothbrush, rinse and get blinded by the diamonds dazzle!!

Whilst this is good for silver jewellery it is different for gold or ones with precious stones in. For gold and stoned rings I put some washing up liquid in an egg cup, enough to cover my rings. Leave them overnight and then in the morning give them a quick brush over with an old toothbrush, rinse and get blinded by the diamonds dazzle!!
A Jeweller told me years ago that Coke (the drinkable variety!!) also works very well using the soak overnight method, if you can use coke to clean oil stains from the garage floor it can be used to clean just about anything, just dont think about what it may be doing to your stomach lining or tooth enamel if you drink it LOL

A Jeweller told me years ago that Coke (the drinkable variety!!) also works very well using the soak overnight method, if you can use coke to clean oil stains from the garage floor it can be used to clean just about anything, just dont think about what it may be doing to your stomach lining or tooth enamel if you drink it LOL
I wouldn't use Coke on precious jewellery......
My late husband was a mechanic & we used Coke for cleaning car parts, tools & his overalls. Once forgot about a pair of overalls left soaking, went away & came back to find they'd nearly dissolved into mush about a week later! Haven't drunk Coke since then but it does clean stubborn oven trays well 😁

Yes indeed! I worked for a jeweller for many years and that's exactly what we used so often.
Toothpaste is very slightly abrasive, washing up liquid is not, therefore safer to use on a regular basis. I worked for a manufacturing jeweller in my youth and washing up liquid was the only thing we were allowed.

DIY hack for cleaning silver jewellery in MINUTES using common pantry staples

It's likely that a good number of us SDC members have at least a few pieces of jewellery that they adore but are aware could use a little more TLC.

We expect our jewellery to shine, but over time, like most other things, exposure to dust and dirt, lotions and soaps, and even sweat, air, and moisture can dull our favourite pieces and rob them of their gleam.

Fortunately, the majority of the items in your jewellery box can be cleaned on your own without having to go to a professional jeweller.

A user on TikTok demonstrated how to bring back the lustre of silver that has been tarnished with just a few common pantry staples!

-Gr_TLq3KTkwlb-3VmvgPrYpmkq_E0VJNZ4aKPr-7EWP1qnkYWcqtyvkXq26ZI0VlYxK4sJ3j5A4ylG3w7u7maLrPutzw7n_j0fCHpL8q0J_betwIZ36Ykc_u45z4zAar9X6uAyz3Q1rS4a-Sw

A TikToker cleaned her sterling silver rings with a common pantry staple. Credit: TikTok/@emmarararara.

Emma, an Aussie retail worker, claims in a now-viral video on TikTok that cleaning your jewellery is as simple as mixing baking soda in a bowl with hot water and aluminium foil.

"Okay so the more I tell people about this hack, the more I realise that people don't know, and they need to know!" she said in the clip.

Here are the things you will need:

• A small washtub or glass baking dish
  • Tea kettle or pot for boiling water
  • Aluminium foil
  • Baking soda
  • Table salt (optional)
  • Hot water
  • Soft, clean white rag

And here's how to do the cleaning method:

To begin, lay a large piece of aluminium foil across the base of the glass baking dish or the washtub you will be using.

After that, arrange your silver jewellery and other silver accessories so that they are atop the foil.

"You can use this on earrings, necklaces, anything with real diamonds or fake diamonds, just as long as it's 925 (sterling silver)," Emma noted in her video.

The next step is to sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda over the top of the silverware, which should take a few tablespoons. (Emma didn't mention it, but other sources say you can add a few tablespoons of table salt to the mixture as well.)

For the final step, pour hot water directly from the kettle over the jewellery and allow the solution to work its magic. Gently take them out and wipe them with a clean rag.

The dull pieces of jewellery were almost immediately transformed into shiny ones, which wowed tens of thousands of people on the social media platform.

Since it was first shared online, the video has been watched a staggering 948,000 times and has garnered the attention of hundreds of people who have provided feedback.

While most users found the cleaning hack effective and amazing, others pointed out that the jewellery company Pandora offers free cleaning services anyway, so customers might want to go there instead.

When salt, baking soda, aluminium foil, and water are combined, a chemical reaction called ion exchange occurs. The tarnish on the silver (silver sulphide) is converted back into silver during this process, and the sulphide on the foil becomes aluminium sulphide.

If your silver is dirty enough, brown or yellow flakes of tarnish will show up on the aluminium foil. In spite of the fact that this procedure is effective, the chemical reaction produces an odour that is not particularly pleasant; therefore, adequate ventilation is required.

It's possible that heavily tarnished silver will require a second (and even a third) soaking.

We hope this simple DIY cleaning hack has been helpful to you, members! If you have any other jewellery cleaning hacks you would like to share with the rest of us, please do so in the comments below.

What about cleaning gold. It says only silver

Reactions: Ricci
Thanks for that idea. You can also clean all jewellery with just toothpaste on and old or new toothbrush .

When I worked in a hotel years ago the method I used was putting gold jewellery in a small glass and covered with gin and it would come out sparkling ,just leave for a few mins give a shake and rinse with water .

Hey, thanks for sharing this awesome DIY hack for cleaning silver jewelry! It's always great to have easy and effective methods like these. And speaking of jewelry, I'm currently on the hunt for wedding bands, and I've been keeping an eye on unisex wedding bands by Jaume Labro. They have this unique, non-traditional vibe that I find quite intriguing. What do you think about unconventional wedding bands like these?
If anyone's interested, here's the link to check them out: https://www.jaumelabro.com/collections/handmade-wedding-rings/hammered-wedding-rings/. Anyway, thanks again for the jewelry-cleaning tip!

Last edited: