DIY enthusiast stuns internet after revealing how she transformed her “boring” piece of furniture into a ritzy-looking piece using ice block sticks

A new DIY hack has been making the rounds on social media after it was revealed that you can turn a boring piece of furniture into a posh-looking piece using ice block sticks.

TikTok user Charley, who posts under the username @thisgirldiys, showcased the DIY makeover of her Ikea malm dresser drawer unit, emphasising that she only used gorilla glue and "lollipop sticks" — which we Aussies commonly refer to as "Paddle Pop sticks".

Credit: TikTok/@thisgirldiys

The British DIY enthusiast says in the video: "I added pieces of strip wood [to frame the drawer panel], chopped up one million lollipop sticks and stuck them down using gorilla glue."

Charley arranges the sticks to resemble a herringbone wood-inspired design on the drawer panels.

"Then I filled using one seal wood filler — it's exactly the right colour that you'll need, so it's perfect for this job. Sanded it all down and wiped away the dust."

And voila! The result is a ritzy-looking drawer unit.

mduu7sCoJy2fYeFQbzCOh_YRSELHq3RyTeNo5I0UuOg1MGVf3GgHn164lSAYeX8d-7fmn8FLVVqjAjfcNcQIvP-DfIULxyLFi3X3tCdAN0y16y-ovKyyCW-w59U9qqycLUFDue8

Before and after photos of the drawer unit. Credit: TikTok/@thisgirldiys.

The DIY project gained traction on TikTok, with the video amassing more than 800,000 views and hundreds of comments from astounded users.

One person wrote: "The effort that's gone into this is amazing! Well done you! The outcome is literally *chefs kiss*."

"I've got this set of drawers and I absolutely love what you've done! it's beautiful!"

A couple of users asked Charley some specifics, expressing their keenness to try the hack.

One woman asked: "Gorgeous! Did you need to seal the wood at all?"

"I haven't but you easily could," Charley responded.

Another inquired: "Going to give this a go! Incredible work — hoping it looks as good buying the white dresser rather than painting. What depth were your sticks?"

Charley said that she used jumbo size sticks but you can customise the design based on what size of sticks you have at hand.

Sponsored
Certainly a heap of work. Very clever. Guess you just buy lots of bags of paddle pop sticks from the craft store. Certainly wouldn't like to have to eat all those paddle pops much as I like them.