Disturbing knife threat on Woolworths employee prompts concerns about store safety

In a world where safety is often assumed, particularly in the familiar aisles of our local supermarkets, a recent incident at Woolworths in Woolloongabba, Queensland, has served as a cautionary tale.

The occurrence underscored how unexpected dangers lurk in even the most mundane places.

On an otherwise ordinary Monday at 8:00 pm of 1 June, the tranquillity of Buranda Village was shattered when a 33-year-old man allegedly threatened a Woolworths employee with a knife.

The confrontation, which can only be described as a harrowing ordeal for the worker involved, escalated when the assailant demanded cash before hastily fleeing the scene.

1720051052563.png
A Woolworths employee in Woolloongabba was threatened with a knife during the robbery. Credit: Shutterstock

The swift response of the Queensland Police led to the arrest of a man on nearby O'Keefe Street shortly after the incident.

The charges laid against him were severe: armed robbery, stealing, and possessing dangerous drugs.

His subsequent appearance before the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Tuesday was a small step towards justice.

In other news, a Woolworths delivery driver in Perth was reportedly held up at gunpoint early Saturday morning.

The assailant purportedly took the grocery truck on a joyride and encountered two civilians along the way. More details on this incident can be found here.

Separately, three children aged 12, 13, and 15 have been charged with armed robbery for allegedly threatening a woman on the Gold Coast.

The victim was approached while walking her dog and forced to hand over her keys at knifepoint. Further details are available here.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths employee at Buranda Village in Woolloongabba was allegedly threatened with a knife during a robbery.
  • The alleged incident involved a 33-year-old man demanding cash.
  • Queensland Police arrested the suspect on a nearby street and charged him with armed robbery, stealing, and possessing dangerous drugs.
  • The accused man was scheduled to appear before the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Tuesday following the incident.

Have you ever felt unsafe while shopping, or do you have any tips for staying secure while out and about? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
What is happening here in this country ? We used to feel safe in shopping centres etc. Now most seniors feel anything but safe !
Violence in our society seems to be the norm these days with so many attacks on innocent people. When will the judiciary system wake up and impose heavy sentences on these low-lifes !! 😡🤬🥺

The judicial system is a joke.
The police do their job and then the courts do nothing.
Even if the perpetrators do get a jail sentence, prisons are like holiday camps these days. A large percentage of these people have a better life in prison than they do out.
We have a friend who was violently attacked in a road rage incident, by a father and son who were already on bail for a similar attack.
Our friend was beaten across the head with a crowbar. His life is ruined, he can no longer run his thriving business, had to put off all his employees (9) suffers from extreme head pain and is suicidal.
What did these lowlifes get - 18 months, and we're paroled in six months for "good behaviour"
What a joke, an innocent man's life is ruined, where is the justice in that.

A young thug decided to take my bag off my shoulder. My dog in the car barking madly alerted the trolley people but I hit him on the nose forgetting I was holding my keys, said nose broke, blood everywhere and the crying young man was promptly grabbed. The police said he would be most upset if it was spread that he had had his nose broken by a lady in her 70,s.

A young thug decided to take my bag off my shoulder. My dog in the car barking madly alerted the trolley people but I hit him on the nose forgetting I was holding my keys, said nose broke, blood everywhere and the crying young man was promptly grabbed. The police said he would be most upset if it was spread that he had had his nose broken by a lady in her 70,s.
Isis, you go girl, good for you for giving this thug a good scare like he gave you. I am just pleased you were unharmed. I am sure it would have shook you to the core.
Stay safe.
Kind regards Vicki

Good on you! Glad you are ok.

That's beautiful l love it 😀 poetic justice

Did you kick him in the gonads for good measure? Probably didn't have any anyway....

I love it when the underdog does a David and Goliath on some scumdog peahearted numbskull!

I would have paid good money to watch this and join in. Trouble is that I would cop a much larger penalty than the instigator!

Last edited:
Have to say working in a supermarket I have had several instances where customers have been confrontational, but we aren’t allowed to respond, which drives me crazy! Like the young thugs these days that can get away with most things it is very frustrating. 😡

Good for you, pity you only managed to break his nose, hope he goes to jail nasty thug, different when he was hurt wasn't it?