'Disgusting' Kmart find draws ire from social media: 'I thought it was marbled!'

Shopping for children's items can be a delightful experience.

Bright colours and cute designs draw the eye and promise fun and functionality.

However, for one Victorian mum, a recent trip to Kmart turned from excitement to disgust as she stumbled upon a less-than-pleasant sight in the children's kitchenware section.

Ballarat resident Klaire was browsing through the aisles of her local Kmart in Wendouree when she encountered a pile of children's feeding items that were far from the ideal pristine condition of new items.

These items were silicone sippy cups and suction bowls designed to make feeding time easier for parents and toddlers.

Instead of the usual shiny and clean products, Klaire found them covered in a layer of dust and grime.

Klaire took to social media to express her dismay and shared a video that caught the attention of other concerned parents and shoppers.

compressed-kmartkids.jpeg
Several kids' items were covered in dust and grime in a local Kmart. Image Credit: TikTok/Klaire884

'How can we put that on the shelf and be like, "That's cool"?' she asked in the video.

The footage showed the silicone crockery, which appeared to have a unique pattern.

Yet, upon closer inspection, it was clear that the 'design' was nothing more than a thick layer of dust and dirt.

The items which were on clearance were neglected, as filth accumulated in every crevice.

The handles, straws, and divided sections of the bowls were all affected, raising questions about the store's stocking and maintenance practices.

It's as if these items had been forgotten in a warehouse corner, collecting dust instead of fulfilling their purpose in a child's daily routine.

Klaire's video sparked a conversation among shoppers, with many sharing their own experiences of finding dirty or damaged goods at Kmart.

'I was about to say, "Oh, not just my local Kmart." But when I saw it was Wendouree, so, yes, my local Kmart,' a woman shared in the comments.

'I thought it was marbled,' another comment read.

'Yeah, even the clothes,' a third wrote.

'I thought it would wash out, three stain remover soaks and two washes later, still in my damn clothes.'

Some commenters suggested that the dirt was not a big deal since the items should be washed before use.

'Just dirt; it would get washed off when you wash it. Most of the deliveries come like that,' one replied.

However, the majority agreed with Klaire's sentiment that new products should look and feel new.

'But we wouldn't buy dirty clothes at the shops, would we?' a commenter asked.

Watch Klaire's complaint here:

Source: @klaire884/TikTok

The expectation of cleanliness is not just about aesthetics; it's about safety and health.

Parents want to feel confident that the products they bring into their homes, especially those that will come into contact with their children's food and mouths, are free from contaminants.

As of writing, Kmart has yet to respond to this incident.
Key Takeaways

• Ballarat local Klaire voiced her disgust online after finding filthy children's feeding items at a Kmart store in Wendouree.
  • The products, including silicone sippy cups and bowls, were covered in dust and dirt, raising hygiene concerns.
  • Shoppers shared their own experiences of finding dirty goods at Kmart, while others suggested simply washing the items as a solution.
  • Despite some dismissing the issue, the majority found the dirty state of the items unacceptable.
Have you encountered similar issues while shopping for things for your grandchildren? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
If it's on sale then buy it & save some money, then take it home & give it a good wash. After all, it's only dirt & your child will put plenty of that on the cup when using it while running around the house/yard while still drinking from it.

Not good enough, when you go to purchase any item it should be clean. Surely the person who had the Job of placing the items out on display could have used a couple of clothes to dust the items. Of course you wash anything before using. But you are not paying for the extra DUST. Not good enough. Kmart lift your game.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Reactions: Ezzy
Why not just take the items to a staff member to be removed instead of this attention seeking crap. Maybe a filthy slob mother has swapped her dirty items for new ones. It's quite common these days. There's no need to make a big deal about it..

Reactions: relljube
Would you present something you personally were trying sell in this condition & if you did would you expect to sell it? I think not!
That depends on who is putting the merchandise on the shelves. If you have someone with the wrong attitude that could not careless about the condition of the products, and just puts them out on the shelves. However, I would have contacted the manager and get the manager to sort the issue out.