Discover this Melbourne dad's secret to mastering rewards schemes and saving big bucks

Everyone loves a good bargain when they shop. But many love it more when they score freebies and other benefits because of rewards schemes offered by supermarkets and other retailers.

By way of discounts and points, shoppers can expect long-term perks, which can be significant.

So, if you often find yourself wanting more out of your current rewards program, then maybe you can take a page out of this Melbourne dad’s book.

A Melbourne dad of two, John Leou, recently spoke to a local news source and shared his amazing knowledge of rewards programs, which earned him and his family free flights in business class all around the world!

Mr Leou, from Kew, said that one of the most important steps is to familiarise yourself with your chosen program. By doing so, you become more aware of the different ways you can maximise its benefits.

fly1.jpg
Mr Leou said it’s crucial to really get to know your chosen program. Credit: Coles

He said: ‘I think you just have to work it into your daily routine. There’s a bit of a learning curve initially, but once you get through that hump, it’s quite easy.’

In Australia, shoppers can benefit from a couple of popular rewards schemes – Coles Flybuys and Woolworths Everyday Rewards.

To make the most of them, Mr Leou suggests downloading their respective apps and staying updated on weekly 'booster' specials.

When you activate your offers from the Flybuys program, you can collect bonus points online. Meanwhile, Woolworths’ Everyday Rewards offers customers a chance to collect up to 10 points for every dollar spent.

fly2.jpg
Both programs offer weekly ‘booster’ specials. Credit: Woolworths

‘They might give you a 10-times bonus point offer if you buy a certain product or if you buy fruit and veg that week,’ the man said.

Mr Leou also rakes in extra rewards points through some of the affiliated car and home insurance providers with the Flybuys program, as well as by signing up for credit cards with bonus points offers.

‘A lot of them have 100,000-point bonuses if you spend a certain amount,’ he explained.

Mr Leou also said that credit cards usually have high-interest rates and annual fees, so it’s important to always assess your financial situation and make sure to pay off balances in full to avoid interest charges.

Now, what should you do with all those points? According to Mr Leou, the ‘best bang for your buck’ comes from converting your accumulated points into flights. Woolworths' Everyday Rewards is linked to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, while Coles' Flybuys is partnered with Virgin Velocity.

According to Mr Leou, by cashing in his Flybuys points for Velocity points, he managed to secure rewards seats on business class flights for his family.

‘Later this month, we're going to Europe, business return, all paid with points,’ he admitted.

However, Mr Leou also warned that it would be best to book seats in advance because seat availability bought with rewards points can be scarce.

He also advocates looking for value in other deals and sales with companies not affiliated with your favourite reward scheme.

‘I look for value rather than anything else,’ he told reporters.

In a similar instance, thanks to one man’s cleverness, he managed to do what most could only dream of: go on a completely free trip around the world.

Dale, the savvy shopper, said he would always redeem his Flybuys points for Velocity Frequent Flyer points. Five destinations later, he has yet to pay a single dollar for his flights. You can read the rest of his story here.

As great as the Flybuys program sounds, Christine Seib, Editor from Canstar Blue, claims that Woolworths’ Everyday Rewards is marginally better than its rival.

She also mentioned that there are other smaller programs, such as Dan Murphy’s and Priceline’s programs, that work just as well.
Key Takeaways
  • A Melbourne dad claims to have 'cracked the code' of rewards schemes, using his Flybuys points to fly his family around the world in business class.
  • John Leou says it is crucial to familiarise yourself with your chosen program and the various ways to maximise benefits.
  • Both Coles' Flybuys and Woolworths' Everyday Rewards programs are best utilised when the shopper downloads the respective apps.
  • Canstar Blue editor Christine Seib advises that the Everyday Rewards scheme is slightly better than its rival Flybuys, but other smaller programs also work well for shoppers.
So, there you have it, folks! Keep those points accumulating, and who knows – maybe you, too, could find yourself jet-setting to Europe with your loved ones! Do you have any tips or tricks that can help maximise rewards points? Please share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
I gave up Woolworth loyalty program (have no clue how it operates with expired points) still stick with FlyBuys but there is new kid in town Microsoft Rewards point - you do not need to spend a cent to get approx 120 per year by doing 10 min daily routine.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci and Joy Rush
I gave up Woolworth loyalty program (have no clue how it operates with expired points) still stick with FlyBuys but there is new kid in town Microsoft Rewards point - you do not need to spend a cent to get approx 120 per year by doing 10 min daily routine.
I do not over spend just to get points,I roll over my points at Christmas (Rewards) and last year got $300 free just for using my card and not collecting them for 2 years,if you think that's not incentive then you need to do your maths lol

I use Woolworths Everyday Rewards which I convert to Qantas points. However, if you do lots of Online shopping, then Cashrewards is a good scheme whereby you get cash back by just using their link, prior to purchasing goods from your favourite store. You can then withdraw money from your Cashrewards account into your bank account!

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
I collect mostly flybuys points and the ammount of points you get just for shopping is incredible.

My daughters are now avid flybuy points collectors

My biggest piece of advice is don't over spend just to collect points . This is where they get people to spend by offering bonus points.

Also they offer people different deals eg I had offered to me spend $280 each week over four weeks to receive 20,000 points where as my daughter got the same thing at exactness same time but only needed to spend $170 each week over 4 weeks

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
I do not over spend just to get points,I roll over my points at Christmas (Rewards) and last year got $300 free just for using my card and not collecting them for 2 years,if you think that's not incentive then you need to do your maths lol
I activate every bonus point that comes in on email just about daily. I don’t buy anything I don’t need just to gain points but if I get the extra then bonus. I save so much with paying the $7 per month and getting 10% discount off my shopping once a month and 3 x points on every shop. Well worth the money

We do woolies but my husband does the bonus things on the emails

I don't agree that Woolworths everyday rewards are slightly better than Flybuys.
Flybuys is a winner for me, even though I use everyday rewards.

I activate every bonus point that comes in on email just about daily. I don’t buy anything I don’t need just to gain points but if I get the extra then bonus. I save so much with paying the $7 per month and getting 10% discount off my shopping once a month and 3 x points on every shop. Well worth the money
If you pay yearly in one go it only costs you $59 which equates to $4.92 per month