Discover the top 5 businesses that customers are complaining about the most

This year's list of the most groused-about businesses has come to light, with several contenders appearing again after being previously criticised for their less-than-impressive practices.

Brace yourself, members–you might find a business you frequently deal with on this list!

Under the watchful eyes of New South Wales (NSW) Fair Trading, a company is added to the Complaints Register if, during one calendar month, it receives more than ten disgruntled customer rantings.

This year's line-up shared with CHOICE, the consumer advocacy group, might surprise you–three out of five businesses had already received the disreputable Shonky Award in the past, spotlighting the shoddy products and services that fall short of expectations.

‘Releasing these complaints empowers everyone to create a fairer marketplace. Many of these complaints could be avoided if businesses resolved disputes more efficiently with their customers when things go wrong,’ Fair Trading Commissioner Natasha Mann said.

Screenshot 2023-08-22 112612.png
NSW Fair Trading revealed the top five companies their residents have complained about. Credit: MR SOCCER/Shutterstock

So without further ado, let's delve into the rundown of complaints.

The global tech giant Samsung is topping the chart with a whopping 416 complaints.

Complaints ranged from questionable product quality to worrisome warranty claims and refund issues.

CHOICE crowned Samsung with a Shonky Award back in 2017 for a combo washer and dryer that fell remarkably short of the mark despite its grand price tag of over $3000.

Screenshot 2023-08-22 112633.png
Samsung received the most complaints in 2023. Credit: Grand Warszawski/Shutterstock

Following behind Samsung is the water filtration company Tru Water, which managed to amass 321 complaints–an impressive feat for a company publicly forewarned by NSW Fair Trading in late 2022.

Tru Water has various issues ranging from delayed and incomplete orders and unsolicited product substitutions to misrepresented goods on its website.

Aussie ticketing company, Ticketek, garnered the third-highest number of complaints, with a tally of 281.

The complaints they received this year are about ticket cancellations and the supply of tickets. Add that to the credit card surcharges and service/delivery fees. It’s no wonder why their customers are unhappy.

Coming in hot on their heels is the now-defunct Injectable Institute Australia, which continued to accumulate 168 complaints even post-liquidation, landing themselves in the fourth position.

And wrapping up the top five is the native airline, Qantas, with 160 complaints to Fair Trading, primarily concerning flight credits, refund issues and cancellations. Call wait times for their customer service were also mentioned in the complaints.

Though these reports originated from NSW, CHOICE emphasised that 'the reach of these businesses is not confined to NSW'.

So, even if you’re out on Bondi Beach or relaxing in Perth, you might also find these complaints to be all too familiar.

Fair Trading Commissioner Mann asserts that the open airing of complaints data 'empowers everyone to create a fairer marketplace'.

‘Many of these complaints could be avoided if businesses resolved disputes more efficiently with their customers when things go wrong,’ she added.

In response, Samsung Australia attested to its awareness of the Complaints Register and emphasised that 'the resolution of consumers’ grievances' was a priority.

‘At Samsung, innovation and people are the core of what we do, and we apologise to customers for any inconvenience. We also thank each customer for their patience while we work through fulfilling their inquiries,’ the company’s spokesperson assured.

Representatives for Ticketek, Qantas, and Tru Water have yet to issue responses.

Key Takeaways
  • The top five most complained about businesses in New South Wales have been revealed by NSW Fair Trading.
  • The list includes Samsung, Tru Water, Ticketek, Injectable Institute Australia and Qantas, with complaints ranging from product quality, refund and warranty issues to call wait times and credit card surcharges.
  • Three out of the five businesses have previously received a Shonky Award from CHOICE, the consumer advocacy group.
  • Fair Trading Commissioner Natasha Mann believes this data empowers consumers and encourages businesses to resolve disputes more efficiently.

Remember: if a product or service you have purchased doesn't work as it should, you are entitled to a refund, repair or replacement.

Members who reside in New South Wales can complain with Fair Trading through this link. Residents of other states and territories may complain to their respective consumer agencies.
Do you agree with this list, members? Do you think this is the same for other states, or would other companies be included? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
This year's list of the most groused-about businesses has come to light, with several contenders appearing again after being previously criticised for their less-than-impressive practices.

Brace yourself, members–you might find a business you frequently deal with on this list!

Under the watchful eyes of New South Wales (NSW) Fair Trading, a company is added to the Complaints Register if, during one calendar month, it receives more than ten disgruntled customer rantings.

This year's line-up shared with CHOICE, the consumer advocacy group, might surprise you–three out of five businesses had already received the disreputable Shonky Award in the past, spotlighting the shoddy products and services that fall short of expectations.

‘Releasing these complaints empowers everyone to create a fairer marketplace. Many of these complaints could be avoided if businesses resolved disputes more efficiently with their customers when things go wrong,’ Fair Trading Commissioner Natasha Mann said.

View attachment 28026
NSW Fair Trading revealed the top five companies their residents have complained about. Credit: MR SOCCER/Shutterstock

So without further ado, let's delve into the rundown of complaints.

The global tech giant Samsung is topping the chart with a whopping 416 complaints.

Complaints ranged from questionable product quality to worrisome warranty claims and refund issues.

CHOICE crowned Samsung with a Shonky Award back in 2017 for a combo washer and dryer that fell remarkably short of the mark despite its grand price tag of over $3000.

View attachment 28027
Samsung received the most complaints in 2023. Credit: Grand Warszawski/Shutterstock

Following behind Samsung is the water filtration company Tru Water, which managed to amass 321 complaints–an impressive feat for a company publicly forewarned by NSW Fair Trading in late 2022.

Tru Water has various issues ranging from delayed and incomplete orders and unsolicited product substitutions to misrepresented goods on its website.

Aussie ticketing company, Ticketek, garnered the third-highest number of complaints, with a tally of 281.

The complaints they received this year are about ticket cancellations and the supply of tickets. Add that to the credit card surcharges and service/delivery fees. It’s no wonder why their customers are unhappy.

Coming in hot on their heels is the now-defunct Injectable Institute Australia, which continued to accumulate 168 complaints even post-liquidation, landing themselves in the fourth position.

And wrapping up the top five is the native airline, Qantas, with 160 complaints to Fair Trading, primarily concerning flight credits, refund issues and cancellations. Call wait times for their customer service were also mentioned in the complaints.

Though these reports originated from NSW, CHOICE emphasised that 'the reach of these businesses is not confined to NSW'.

So, even if you’re out on Bondi Beach or relaxing in Perth, you might also find these complaints to be all too familiar.

Fair Trading Commissioner Mann asserts that the open airing of complaints data 'empowers everyone to create a fairer marketplace'.

‘Many of these complaints could be avoided if businesses resolved disputes more efficiently with their customers when things go wrong,’ she added.

In response, Samsung Australia attested to its awareness of the Complaints Register and emphasised that 'the resolution of consumers’ grievances' was a priority.

‘At Samsung, innovation and people are the core of what we do, and we apologise to customers for any inconvenience. We also thank each customer for their patience while we work through fulfilling their inquiries,’ the company’s spokesperson assured.

Representatives for Ticketek, Qantas, and Tru Water have yet to issue responses.

Key Takeaways

• The top five most complained about businesses in New South Wales have been revealed by NSW Fair Trading.
  • The list includes Samsung, Tru Water, Ticketek, Injectable Institute Australia and Qantas, with complaints ranging from product quality, refund and warranty issues to call wait times and credit card surcharges.
  • Three out of the five businesses have previously received a Shonky Award from CHOICE, the consumer advocacy group.
  • Fair Trading Commissioner Natasha Mann believes this data empowers consumers and encourages businesses to resolve disputes more efficiently.

Remember: if a product or service you have purchased doesn't work as it should, you are entitled to a refund, repair or replacement.

Members who reside in New South Wales can complain with Fair Trading through this link. Residents of other states and territories may complain to their respective consumer agencies.
Do you agree with this list, members? Do you think this is the same for other states, or would other companies be included? Let us know in the comments below!
Samsung customer service division is frustratingly difficult to contact and subsequently dismissive, apparently have difficulty “understanding” the issue and endeavour to delay a positive response … 3 weeks and too many contacts later, without the intervention of the equally frustrated retailer I doubt my “issue” would ever have been addressed. Second occurrence; will NEVER ever purchase ANYTHING Samsung again.

My first encounter with Samsung happened about 9 years ago when I bought a Samsung 2-door refrigerator. Both the motor and the on-off click were annoyingly loud. I asked for it to be fixed but the service person said he could not do anything about it. I was recently able to replace it with a Westinghouse model which is much quieter. My second encounter happened several years ago when I bought a Samsung cordless phone set. When using the phone, I would get loud screeching in my ear from the phone during the call. I found that the person on the other end got the same screech. I returned it to the retailer who replaced the phone with the same model. The new one did the same thing. I took it back and asked for it to be replaced with another brand. The retailer was reluctant, saying the guarantee covered only replacement with the same brand. I demanded a different brand because both Samsung phones had the same problem and I didn't want it to happen again. They gave me a different brand and I had no problems after that. Eventually I transferred to using a mobile phone only. As these 3 occasions are the only times I have had Samsung products and they all turned out to have problems, I will not buy their brand again and I warn other people to stay away from Samsung. I am not surprised they topped the list for companies complained about.

Reactions: janj
I only purchase Westinghouse- Kelvinator - or Fisher and Paykel have never had any issues ,they may be a little more expensive that’s the price you pay for quality.
Ahhh Kelvinator, i know i shouldn't say it but my old fridge still going strong after 23yrs (& one before it about the same, it's prob still going strong for someone else now lol) Simpson 8kg washer same age still going strong after so much rough treatment from me- dreading the day either of these die as I'm betting nothing on the market these days as solid as these brands unfort

I have problems with my Samsung phone but have given up on dealing with them. They sent me an email to reply but it did not work. This happened twice. They just do not want to understand the problem or they are too thick to get it. I will never buy another Samsung product and urge everyone else to do the same. Another company should be mentioned, Bing Lee. Not only do they stuff up but they do not even acknowledge their customer service email, let alone do anything about it. I will never buy anything from them again.

Reactions: janj
Ahhh Kelvinator, i know i shouldn't say it but my old fridge still going strong after 23yrs (& one before it about the same, it's prob still going strong for someone else now lol) Simpson 8kg washer same age still going strong after so much rough treatment from me- dreading the day either of these die as I'm betting nothing on the market these days as solid as these brands unfort
My large upright fridge (Westinghouse) still going after 23+ years and Kelvinator freezer 42 years and not missing a beat, but then they were made in South Australia not Asia.

Samsung customer service division is frustratingly difficult to contact and subsequently dismissive, apparently have difficulty “understanding” the issue and endeavour to delay a positive response … 3 weeks and too many contacts later, without the intervention of the equally frustrated retailer I doubt my “issue” would ever have been addressed. Second occurrence; will NEVER ever purchase ANYTHING Samsung again.
I know how you feel. A few years ago I purchased a convection microwave. It started to play up a few weeks before the warranty expired. Then they mucked about for so long with responses. Finally was given a repairer they use which was about an hour away from where we lived. By the time I was able to get there the warranty had expired by just days & they refused to pay for repair saying it was past the warranty period.

• Wow
Reactions: Jersey Girl
I've bought 16 products from Kogan over the years and the only item still working is a TV. All others are kaputt or not working as they should. A rat-trap electrocuted me. I had issues with a stand mixer. The whisk fell apart. About 6 or more months later and some 15 different operators I was told that they would not replace the whisk, with excuses like we changed the model, the original company has moved, it's out of warranty, or we don't bring that model in any more. I have sworn NEVER to buy another KOGAN product, even if it is free

Reactions: Ashmenou
Gosh,I’m stunned. I’ve never owned anything but a Samsung phone and I love them. Never had a scrap of trouble except once and the service was fabulous. Most of my electrics are Samsung. Tv,dishwasher,microwave. All are years old,going strong with never a glitch.

I would rate Ticketek as the worst company to deal with. Hard to get onto the site, hard to buy tickets and so easy for them to time you out just as you have completed your purchase. And offering best tickets that are usually worse than the ones available is so annoying. And lots of shows and events are not using anyone other than Ticketek so it does become very frustrating.

Reactions: johno cpfc
I know how you feel. A few years ago I purchased a convection microwave. It started to play up a few weeks before the warranty expired. Then they mucked about for so long with responses. Finally was given a repairer they use which was about an hour away from where we lived. By the time I was able to get there the warranty had expired by just days & they refused to pay for repair saying it was past the warranty period.
😡

I've bought 16 products from Kogan over the years and the only item still working is a TV. All others are kaputt or not working as they should. A rat-trap electrocuted me. I had issues with a stand mixer. The whisk fell apart. About 6 or more months later and some 15 different operators I was told that they would not replace the whisk, with excuses like we changed the model, the original company has moved, it's out of warranty, or we don't bring that model in any more. I have sworn NEVER to buy another KOGAN product, even if it is free
Don't get me started on Kogan. I purchased a late model Sunbeam stand mixer from them a couple of years ago, but the wretched thing wouldn't even turn on. I tried contacting Kogan who dithered and hemmed and hawed until I lost patience with them. I rang Sunbeam on their Customer Contact number, and they asked me to cut the plug from the power cord, take a photo of the mixer with its cut cord and now orphaned plug, and send them the photo. I did so that day. And two days later, I received a brand new stand mixer from them, no further questions asked. And THAT, ladies, is great customer service, no?

I haven't touched Kogan since, and never will.

Jess

You should have contacted Consumer Affairs ,they would have still had to fix it. Don’t believe what they tell you.