Discover the surprising lie pilots tell when your flight is delayed!

Have you ever been stuck in an airport, anxiously waiting for your delayed flight, when the pilot assures you they'll 'make up time' in the air?

If you've ever wondered about the truth behind this claim, you're not alone.

Pilots have recently revealed that this is often a comforting fib told to passengers, especially on shorter flights.

The reality of air travel is that delays are a common occurrence.

They can be caused by a myriad of factors, from weather conditions to mechanical issues, and even air traffic congestion.

During peak travel times, such as the summer holiday season, these delays can become even more frequent.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 143901.png
Most of the time, passengers are told that the flight crew will ‘make up time’ while in the air if a flight is running late. Image: Freepik

When a flight is delayed, passengers are often reassured by the flight crew that they will 'make up time' in the air.

This phrase has become a common refrain in the aviation industry, but according to pilots, it's not always entirely accurate.

A pilot recently took to social media to shed some light on this common claim.

'There is very little we can actually do to “make-up time”,' they explained.

'The longer the flight, the more we can do, but still, we're talking 5-10 minutes, not an hour.'

So, what does 'making up time' actually entail? It's not about flying faster, as one might assume.

Instead, pilots can request 'direct routings' or shortcuts and utilise wind speed to maximise tailwinds.

Nick Anderson, a pilot for an international airline, explained to Condé Nast Traveler that flights operate within a 'small speed bracket’.

This means they fly at the fastest speed that is most economical.

'It's not just a cost to the company, it's a cost to the environment,' Anderson said.

Indeed, the faster an aircraft flies, the more fuel it burns. This not only increases costs but also affects the environment negatively.

Therefore, pilots will only choose to fly at greater speeds if it means avoiding other costly issues, such as missed flight connections.

So, if you're looking to avoid delays, what can you do?

Well, it turns out travellers who prefer earlier flights have an edge.

According to Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilot Charlie Page, booking an earlier flight can help: ‘The summer holidays bring increased demand for flights and with that comes inevitable problems.’

'The early bird gets airborne, statistically, with less delays and fewer cancellations,' Pilot Kathleen Bangs told a news source.

'The later it gets in the day, the more likely your flight is to be delayed or cancelled.'

In conclusion, while the claim that pilots can 'make up time' in the air is often more of a comforting phrase than a reality, understanding the complexities of the airline industry can help passengers to better navigate the challenges of air travel.

So next time you're faced with a delay, remember to take the pilot's reassurances with a grain of salt, and use the opportunity to enjoy a good book or catch up on your favourite show.

After all, travel is about the journey, not just the destination.

Key Takeaways

• Pilots often tell passengers they can 'make up time' in the air on delayed flights, but this is typically not true, especially for shorter trips.
  • The truth is that there is little that can be done to regain lost time, with the possibility of shaving off only 5-10 minutes on longer flights.
  • Making up time involves requesting direct routings and optimising tailwinds rather than flying faster due to economic and environmental considerations.
  • To reduce the chances of experiencing delays, it is advisable to book earlier flights in the day, as they statistically face fewer delays and cancellations.

What are your experiences with flight delays? Have you ever been told that the pilot would 'make up time' in the air? Share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
The airline industry has a whole language of its own. A few years ago I was travelling to Europe from Sydney and we were told that we needed to change planes in Singapore. That was all fine and good. What amused me was that the crew called it :complexing"?

Reactions: Cyberchook
The first time i flew to thailand i went with emirates, left sydney on time & got to bangkok on time, the return journey was anything but, i arrived late & though i had missed my flight, but went i got to the plane everyone was in the waiting area, no crew & we were their for another 2 hrs waiting for the crew to turn up, we left bangkok up to nearly 3 hrs late, we did have a 1000ml an hour tail wind & made up an hour but when we landed we had to sit on the taramc for half an hourbefore we got a gate so we could disembark & i haven,t flown with them since,prefer going thai airways with no problems cheers greg

The first time i flew to thailand i went with emirates, left sydney on time & got to bangkok on time, the return journey was anything but, i arrived late & though i had missed my flight, but went i got to the plane everyone was in the waiting area, no crew & we were their for another 2 hrs waiting for the crew to turn up, we left bangkok up to nearly 3 hrs late, we did have a 1000ml an hour tail wind & made up an hour but when we landed we had to sit on the taramc for half an hourbefore we got a gate so we could disembark & i haven,t flown with them since,prefer going thai airways with no problems cheers greg
😮 wonder what the crew were up to in “Bangkok”🙀🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Chips