Discover the supermarket item this Aussie mum used for a jaw-dropping leather couch transformation!

We know the feeling all too well – tired of spending hard-earned money on expensive, specialty cleaning products that promise you an ‘easy’ clean without the elbow grease and the hassle, only to end up with a product that barely does its job properly.

But a discovery by one Aussie mum has been making waves in the cleaning and home improvement community recently. According to her, one item she bought from her local supermarket can freshen up an old couch with minimal effort.

You might be familiar with Fairy Kitchen Spray as a cult favourite for cleaning kitchen benches and appliances. It’s also so popular and effective at cleaning that CHOICE gave it a 75 per cent expert rating and named it one of the best dishwashing products of 2023. You can read the rest of the review in this article.

But now it’s being hailed as an unstoppable ‘miracle’ solution for revitalising old, weary leather couches.

Sharing to a popular Facebook group, an Aussie mum revealed how she was able to transform her old white leather couch and bring it back to its former glory.

couch1.jpg
The woman claimed that Fairy Kitchen Spray helped her clean her old white couch. Credit: Andrea Piacquadio/Pexels

She wrote: ‘To the genius who discovered that Fairy Kitchen Spray cleans leather couches well: thank you!’

The mum explained that she’d had her white leather couch for ‘years’ and had two toddlers who love to jump on the furniture ‘all day’.

‘I struggle to keep it clean,’ she stated.

‘Leather cleaner and other cleaning products didn’t work that well, so I gave up....until I saw this hack. What a difference!’ She continued.

The mum also shared before and after photos of her couch, revealing the incredible results she achieved with just one product.

According to her, she ‘conditioned the leather’ right after she used the kitchen spray to help protect the leather.

Leather conditioning is a routine care process that restores moisture to the material and strengthens it further. Although this procedure is unnecessary to make your leather items last for a long time, regular leather conditioning can dramatically improve the look and durability of your items.

couch2.jpg
The mum cleaned one side of her couch with the spray and left the other side uncleaned to show social media users the difference. Credit: Facebook

She added: ‘I know some people are concerned about damaging the leather, but I don’t really care.’

‘I don’t think this couch is going to last that long with my boys around anyway…I wiped off the spray really well and immediately put leather conditioner on, and it seems to be fine!’

Many praised the mum’s ingenuity and were inspired to give her recommendations a go.

‘Amazing! Looks brand new again! I’m going to tell [my] mum to do her leather couch with it,’ one wrote.

Another replied that they’d try this trick, too, on their leather couch.

‘Thanks for the tip! Trying this,’ a third wrote.

While someone else commented: ‘I’m so jealous, this would have been SOOOO satisfying to clean.’

‘Very impressive,’ another replied.

However, before attempting this hack, it's important to remember that results may vary.

Aside from damaging the leather directly, sprays may sometimes leave residues if not entirely removed after cleaning. This residue can cause the leather to age prematurely by accelerating cracking and flaking.

Other unconventional cleaning products may not be specifically designed for use with leather furniture and could potentially damage the material or cause unwanted discolouration. Hence, testing the cleaning method in an inconspicuous area before treating your entire leather couch might be a good idea.

As of writing, Fairy Kitchen Spray costs $12 in both Coles and Woolworths.
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian mum shared a 'miracle' couch cleaning tip using Fairy Kitchen Spray.
  • The cleaning product has been praised for its many uses around the kitchen and laundry and is now for transforming old, tired leather couches with minimal effort.
  • The mum shared before and after images on Facebook, revealing the impressive results she achieved with the hack.
  • Many people responded to the post, expressing their interest in trying the Fairy Kitchen Spray cleaning tip on their own leather couches.
Have you used (or are still using) products for unexpected purposes? How did it work for you? Share your stories and cleaning tips in the comments below!

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Sponsored
'I don’t think this couch is going to last that long with my boys around anyway…'

I love that the mum had to point this out :ROFLMAO: