Discover the Simple Crochet Pattern That Has Everyone Talking: Make a Stunning Blanket in Just a Few Days!

Crafting has become a popular activity for many people seeking solace from the monotony of their daily routines or as a gift for friends and family.

Whether it’s to pass the time during lazy afternoons or to alleviate loneliness, crafting has become a saving grace for people of all ages.

It’s no wonder so many of us are turning to craft to keep our minds busy and to create something magical.

Crocheting, in particular, is one of the simplest and most accessible crafting activities that anyone can try their hand at, making it an excellent option for beginners or those looking to learn a new hobby.

If you've been feeling motivated to start a crocheting project lately, then we’ve got you covered!

Melissa, also known as the creative mastermind behind the popular Instagram page @mels_homemadecraft, has just the right crochet project for you!

crochet-your-own-handsknitting-threads-260nw-1883031073.jpg copy.png
Crocheting gained popularity due to its simplicity and affordability, making it ideal for people who are looking to start a new hobby. Credit: Shutterstock.

The talented creator has shared a stunning crochet blanket pattern in the Kmart Hacks and Decor Facebook group, using Kmart’s chunky yarn.

We’re sure once you’ve seen this ingenious pattern, you’ll be running out the door to get your hands on some chunky yarn.

Supplies you'll need:
Note: Melissa's pattern is written using US terminology, but there are how-to tutorials for each stitch using UK terminology.

Learning to crochet can be confusing for beginners due to the variation in terminology. Crochet terms differ depending on whether designers use US or UK terms (Australian designers generally use UK terms).

For instance, while US terms begin with a single crochet, the same stitch is referred to as a double crochet in UK terms.

Similarly, a double crochet in US terms is known as a treble crochet in UK terms. Meanwhile, a chain is a simple stitch that produces a chain of loops.

If you remember that UK stitch names are one step higher than the corresponding US crochet stitches, you can easily translate all patterns, irrespective of their country of origin.

Crochet stitches to use:
  • CH (chain)
  • DC (double crochet)
  • SL ST (slip stitch)
  • SC (single crochet)
  • V ST (dc, ch 1, dc) all in one stitch
  • Ch3 Counts as a Double Crochet
  • Picot - Chain 4, then work a SL St into the 1st chain of the chain 4 made, creating a little loop
Free crochet v-stitch blanket pattern:

This blanket pattern is great for beginners and uses the double crochet stitch.
  1. Chain 184.
  2. Row 1: In the 5th ch from the hook, dc. Skip 2 ch, v stitch into the next ch space. Repeat from * to * across the row until there's 3 ch left. Skip 2 and dc in last ch.
  3. Row 2: Ch 4, dc in same stitch. Skip the next dc and ch, v stitch into next dc. Repeat from * to * across the row to the last v stitch, dc in last stitch.
  4. Repeat until the blanket is the length you want.

Border pattern:

To create the border, Melissa used 2 balls of Spotlight’s Spot Saver yarn in the colour natural. Here are the steps:
  1. First Row: Join other coloured yarn with a slip stitch to row 1 of your work. (You'll work on the opposite sides of the chains that you created at the beginning of your project). Chain 2, double crochet in the same space as the chain 2 and continue to double crochet all the way to the end. - 158dc
  2. Second Row: Ch 1, 1 sc in same st, sk next st, (1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc) in next st, sk next st, 1 sc in next st, sk next st, (1 dc, ch 3, 1 dc) in next st, sk next st, 1 sc in next st, repeat between * * to last 4 st, sk next st, (1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc) in next st, sk next st, 1 sc in last st. Turn.
  3. Third Row: Ch 1, 1 sc in same st, 1 sc in next st, 2 sc in ch 1 sp, *(5 dc, picot, 5 dc) in next ch 3 sp, 1 sc in next ch 1 sp, * repeat between ** to last ch 3 sp.
  4. Fasten off, weave in the ends, and continue to make tassels.

Melissa’s tips have captured the attention of many group members, who shared their excitement to start their own projects.

One user wrote: ‘I love it… I think you should make us all one.’

‘Absolutely stunning,’ another said.

A third chimed in: ‘If I could only crochet! It is just beautiful.’

Key Takeaways
  • Crafting, especially crocheting, has become a popular activity for people seeking solace from daily routines.
  • Melissa, the creative mind behind Instagram page @mels_homemadecraft, has shared a stunning crochet blanket pattern using Kmart’s affordable chunky yarn.
  • The article provides a detailed pattern for the crochet blanket, including supplies needed and step-by-step instructions for both the blanket and border pattern.
  • Many group members are excited to start their own projects and have praised Melissa’s patterns as perfect for beginners.

There you have it, folks! These patterns are perfect for beginners and can be completed in just a few days with just yarn and a crochet hook.

Even if you try your hand at these patterns and find that crochet isn't for you, at least you can take pride in trying something new and expanding your horizons.

And for those who are looking to challenge themselves, we recommend checking out this article where we revealed how a bride managed to knit her own dress for her wedding.

What do you think about this, folks? Will you be giving these patterns a go? For those who will, don’t forget to share your progress with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Country women have been crafting forever & i am sure there are quite a few city folk as well - i just love there items for sale at there country market stalls which also include jams, relishes, cakes etc. I look forward to driving every now and then to a country town for there monthly markets - they also look forward to seeing people come to there markets - they also do many things to raise monies for fundraising in there towns - the original country are good down to earth genuine, caring people:_)

I can crochet, but I haven't for years. Remember years ago, when we crocheted the tops of hand towels to hang up? I used to do lots of those as well. I also have a few of lovely crochet blankets that I inherited from my grandmother that she made.

Reactions: Ezzy and Granny*Deb
I want knitting patterns. I do not crochet unfortunately.
It's really easy. I learnt one pattern for blanket when I was 9. Maybe join a ladies group that can teach you how to do this and the patterns and choose one pattern and crochet away. From memory I pretty much taught myself about 1970.

Reactions: Granny*Deb and Ezzy
Crocheting is easier than knitting & I've done both. Approximately 30 years ago l crocheted 4 single bed blankets for our 4 girl's beds. I've also done baby jackets. Not fast but consistent.
I would really like to be able to crochet - learnt basic knitting from my mum when i was a child!
My mum knitted our jumpers:_)

Reactions: Granny*Deb and Ezzy