Discover the secret to sparkling clean tiles! This 82-year-old's brilliant Bunnings trick makes them look brand new

We're all aware that cleaning tile grout can be a difficult task. Sadly, it's one of those house cleaning chores that routinely gets bumped down our never-ending to-do lists till we notice our once-shining floors are now dulled with dirt and grime.

Well, now is as good a time as any! Especially now that we've stumbled onto a brilliant tip given by an 82-year-old woman who has discovered the secret to spotless floors.

And guess what? You can find it at your nearest Bunnings.

The woman took to social media to share her dazzling discovery and surprised us with the visually significant difference made by two top-rated Bunnings products. Even better, these products only cost her less than $30.

These included the $14.69 Selleys Grout Stain Whitener and the $10.99 Long Life Grout Cleaner.

photo (19).jpg
The woman used Selleys Grout Stain Whitener ($14.69) and Long Life Grout Cleaner ($10.99) to clean her tiles. Credit: Bunnings

Though these products have been winning the hearts of home cleaning enthusiasts for a while, it’s their complementary usage that acted as a miracle worker on her grout lines.

Being pleasantly gobsmacked by the exceptional results, she thought the labour she invested was worth the outcome.

'To the person who recommended these products–thank you,' she began in her post. 'They are a game changer!'

Her post remarkably comprised before and after pictures of her white tiles, displaying irrefutable evidence showcasing the efficiency of the two products when used together.

Screenshot 2023-08-28 135652.png
Before and after the tile cleaning. Credit. Facebook

Her outcome leaned towards a 'near-new' look on the completed side whilst contrasting the uncompleted side that still harboured dirty grout lines.

The 82-year-old simplified her cleaning method, saying she just followed the instructions listed on the products, using them sequentially.

'It’s very easy. First, clean with cleaner, let dry and then apply grout whitener. Let dry and then wipe off excess,' she shared.

While admitting her lack of a long-handled brush, she said she used a kneeling cushion to get down on the floor to clean.

One internet user in awe of her physical agility and digital fluency said, 'Not only are you doing the floor, but you are getting down and UP off the floor at 82! Well done for keeping physically fit! And able to use Facebook too!!!! You’re my kind of lady.'

Others keen on recreating her success on their floors left comments like, 'Wow, what an amazing job, good on you for getting up and down, I am doing mine for sure.'

Another person chimed in, saying, 'Well done, what a fabulous effort and wonderful result!'

Many other fans of her cleaning combo chimed in, stating their similarly positive experiences.

'I use these products too...AMAZING,' cheered one, whereas another mentioned how these had 'flown off shelves' in the past.

Key Takeaways
  • An 82-year-old woman shared her successful tile cleaning method involving two products from Bunnings on social media.
  • She used the $14 Selleys Grout Stain Whitener and the $5 Long Life Grout Cleaner to clean her white tiles, showing impressive before and after photos.
  • The woman's post gained several comments praising her hard work and the excellent outcome.
  • She detailed the method she used, explaining she used the products one after the other and allowed each to dry, and recommended using a kneeling cushion for comfort while cleaning.

So, if you’re embarking on a cleaning mission this week, race to Bunnings! Say goodbye to those dreary grout lines, and hello to newly rejuvenated floors!

Are you willing to try this cleaning combo, members? What other products do you use when cleaning tile grouts? Share your tips in the comments below!

Sponsored
My daughters wedding is in 4 weeks and she will be getting dressed at mine and I have tried everything on my floor tiles and even though we sweep every day and mop every second day they never look clean because of the grout.

I now have a job for hubby to do, or should I say two jobs. First off to bunnings ( not really a chore ) then the floor.
Screenshot_20230904_111524_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Best hack for bathrooms is to give up soap and use a shower gel instead. No more fatty residue from the tallow in soap.

For even less cleaning we keep a squeegee in the bathroom -( get a plastic one with no metal bits to scratch anything) and wipe the shower recess down quickly after each shower.

My daughters wedding is in 4 weeks and she will be getting dressed at mine and I have tried everything on my floor tiles and even though we sweep every day and mop every second day they never look clean because of the grout.

I now have a job for hubby to do, or should I say two jobs. First off to bunnings ( not really a chore ) then the floor.
View attachment 29013
The grout matches. Why change it? No, your hubby didn't pay me to write this. :)

View attachment 29013
How exciting - your daughter's wedding! All the best for the big day!

I was more interested in her ability to kneel down at her age. Wow, she is 20 years younger than me and I have not been able to kneel down without pain for the last 20 years!!
haha I agree! No kneeling down hand scrubbing floors for me. I mop with metho and hot water - good enough for me.

How exciting - your daughter's wedding! All the best for the big day!
Thank you 🙂 We just had a daughters wedding beginning of June at the Hunter Valley now on the 7th of October another daughter is getting married and it's another big wedding. It is very exciting but alot of work.

Thank you 🙂 We just had a daughters wedding beginning of June at the Hunter Valley now on the 7th of October another daughter is getting married and it's another big wedding. It is very exciting but alot of work.
Oh yes, a lot of work I'm sure. I only have boys - not so much pressure on mother of the groom I expect/hope haha

Best hack for bathrooms is to give up soap and use a shower gel instead. No more fatty residue from the tallow in soap.

For even less cleaning we keep a squeegee in the bathroom -( get a plastic one with no metal bits to scratch anything) and wipe the shower recess down quickly after each shower.
Prevention is better than cure. I use microfibre cloth on the glass and walls. Just a quick wipe before stepping out. Quick as a wink.
I also have a microfibre mop (flat - not the kind you put in a bucket). I give it a quick wipe over and that's it.
We have been a chemical free home for quite a while because our grandson is a chronic asthmatic. I buy nasty free cleanser and shampoo. No SLS, seems to result in minimum scum. Every little bit counts.

Reactions: gabbyj