Discover the secret that saved a Coles shopper $220 on groceries

When it comes to grocery shopping, everyone's after a great deal. With the cost of living continuing to soar, huge discounts could be the difference between bare shelves and a hearty, healthy meal for the whole family.

One Coles shopper in Perth has stunned fellow customers by revealing his remarkable bargain haul, which included a boneless shoulder of roast pork at just 36 cents—a saving of $28.44!

Father-of-four Travis Muir, who only spends around $300 weekly on groceries, shared the contents of his $220-worth haul to a news source and revealed his trick-of-the-trade.

In the photo of the haul, chicken thigh fillets were sold for 9 cents, salmon steaks for 10 cents each, and a large box of doughnuts, cookies, Ferrero Rocher chocolates and lollies for $7.20—around a quarter of the original price.

Screenshot 2023-10-02 140126.png
Travis Muir shared tips on how to save money at Coles. Credit: T. Muir

‘We are a family of six, and I have three children with additional needs,’ Mr Muir shared.

‘My quite-active five-year-old with autism was difficult to get to bed, so I would shop quite late with him just before closing when the local shop was quiet,’ he explained.

During this period, Mr Muir looks out for items that have reached their best before or use-by date, and have not been marked down.

‘I'm constantly comparing prices and quality, but I'm never really shopping to a list,’ he admitted.

‘I grew up watching Iron Chef, so if I have several key ingredients, I then shop around the biggest savings,’ he added.

In similar stories, this would be the part where it’s revealed that all Mr Muir did was be at the right place at the right time. Not quite for this case, as he took things a step further.

He then speaks to the store manager, and is often told that Coles donates or discounts the unsold products that would otherwise end up in the bin.

'Every store may have different policies, but from the stores I have visited, it’s pretty consistent that between 3-4 p.m. on weekends and 6-7 p.m. on weeknights is when they try to markdown items for clearance,’ he revealed.

This does depend on staffing availability, so patience is the key,' Mr Muir said. 'And respect of staff. They don’t have to make time to mark items down, so it’s important to appreciate it.'

He added, ‘It definitely helps take the sting out of mortgage rates tripling.’

But Mr Muir isn’t just bringing home the bacon—he also supports local groups such as Ellenbrook Meals that provide free food to the community, and donates items to animal rescue centre Wildlife Express.

In a previous statement to a news source, Coles confirmed their markdowns in their stores.

‘We know our customers love good value, so when a product is near its best before date we often mark it down so it can be enjoyed for a cheaper price, instead of being wasted,’ a Coles spokesperson said.

‘Markdowns do not uniformly take place at the same time across all stores. There are many things that can impact when this takes place, including stock on hand, delivery schedules and team member rostering,’ they explained.

The spokesperson also emphasised that ‘food safety is paramount’ to their company, encouraging all customers to be mindful of use-by and best-before dates.

Every Aussie is feeling the pinch of the cost-of-living crisis, and because of this, many money-saving tips have emerged on social media.

One Woolworths customer posted about the discounted items she purchased from the Averly store in Perth. Her haul includes a 93-cent roast chicken, pre-made beef ravioli and spaghetti bolognese for $1.20, Cadbury’s Caramel Cake Bars for 90 cents and a lemon loaf cake for $1.60.

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles customer in Perth reported significant savings on
    groceries, including getting a boneless shoulder of roast pork for 36 cents.
  • The father-of-four credited his savings to shopping late and spotting items close to their use-by date but not marked down.
  • He shared that he regularly checks prices and quality and shops around the biggest savings, resulting in an average weekly grocery spend of $300 with $200 savings.
  • A Coles spokesperson has previously emphasised the company's commitment to value and food safety, stating that products nearing their use-by dates are often marked down rather than wasted.

Do you have any money-saving tips to share with the community members? If so, let us know in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Unfortunately this old bird is usually ready to hop on the perch and sleep by the time our local shops do their markdowns. I used to shop later at night when I was a younger chick and often scored bargains. Ahh, the joys of being a senior.

When it comes to grocery shopping, everyone's after a great deal. With the cost of living continuing to soar, huge discounts could be the difference between bare shelves and a hearty, healthy meal for the whole family.

One Coles shopper in Perth has stunned fellow customers by revealing his remarkable bargain haul, which included a boneless shoulder of roast pork at just 36 cents—a saving of $28.44!

Father-of-four Travis Muir, who only spends around $300 weekly on groceries, shared the contents of his $220-worth haul to a news source and revealed his trick-of-the-trade.

In the photo of the haul, chicken thigh fillets were sold for 9 cents, salmon steaks for 10 cents each, and a large box of doughnuts, cookies, Ferrero Rocher chocolates and lollies for $7.20—around a quarter of the original price.

View attachment 31283

‘We are a family of six, and I have three children with additional needs,’ Mr Muir shared.

‘My quite-active five-year-old with autism was difficult to get to bed, so I would shop quite late with him just before closing when the local shop was quiet,’ he explained.

During this period, Mr Muir looks out for items that have reached their best before or use-by date, and have not been marked down.

‘I'm constantly comparing prices and quality, but I'm never really shopping to a list,’ he admitted.

‘I grew up watching Iron Chef, so if I have several key ingredients, I then shop around the biggest savings,’ he added.

In similar stories, this would be the part where it’s revealed that all Mr Muir did was be at the right place at the right time. Not quite for this case, as he took things a step further.

He then speaks to the store manager, and is often told that Coles donates or discounts the unsold products that would otherwise end up in the bin.

'Every store may have different policies, but from the stores I have visited, it’s pretty consistent that between 3-4 p.m. on weekends and 6-7 p.m. on weeknights is when they try to markdown items for clearance,’ he revealed.

This does depend on staffing availability, so patience is the key,' Mr Muir said. 'And respect of staff. They don’t have to make time to mark items down, so it’s important to appreciate it.'

But Mr Muir isn’t just bringing home the bacon—he also supports local groups such as Ellenbrook Meals that provide free food to the community, and donates items to animal rescue centre Wildlife Express.

In a previous statement to a news source, Coles confirmed their markdowns in their stores.

‘We know our customers love good value, so when a product is near its best before date we often mark it down so it can be enjoyed for a cheaper price, instead of being wasted,’ a Coles spokesperson said.

‘Markdowns do not uniformly take place at the same time across all stores. There are many things that can impact when this takes place, including stock on hand, delivery schedules and team member rostering,’ they explained.

The spokesperson also emphasised that ‘food safety is paramount’ to their company, encouraging all customers to be mindful of use-by and best-before dates.

Every Aussie is feeling the pinch of the cost-of-living crisis, and because of this, many money-saving tips have emerged on social media.

One Woolworths customer posted about the discounted items she purchased from the Averly store in Perth. Her haul includes a 93-cent roast chicken, pre-made beef ravioli and spaghetti bolognese for $1.20, Cadbury’s Caramel Cake Bars for 90 cents and a lemon loaf cake for $1.60.

Key Takeaways

• The father-of-four credited his savings to shopping late and spotting items close to their use-by date but not marked down.
  • He shared that he regularly checks prices and quality and shops around the biggest savings, resulting in an average weekly grocery spend of $300 with $200 savings.
  • A Coles spokesperson has previously emphasised the company's commitment to value and food safety, stating that products nearing their use-by dates are often marked down rather than wasted.

Do you have any money-saving tips to share with the community members? If so, let us know in the comments section below!
Not sure where these Coles shops are that sell such markdowns as I’ve never seen anything in
my local Coles for 9c EVER

Reactions: Suzanne rose

View attachment 31283

Key Takeaways

I’d be very wary of buying meat at such cheap prices. I wouldn’t trust it to be fresh.