Discover the Secret Grease Hotspot in Your Kitchen That Might Be Older Than Your Appliances!

The kitchen is often the heart of the home, a place where meals are prepared and memories are made. But it's also a place where grease and grime can build up in the most unexpected places.

One such hidden hotspot is the area above your kitchen cupboards.

This often-neglected space is a notorious grease trap that can accumulate years of grimy buildup, transforming from a pristine white to a disconcerting brown.

Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 09.58.17.png
Often overlooked, the kitchen cupboard is often a neglected space where notorious grease develops. Credits: Jean van der Meulen

Professional cleaner Kellsie Zapatas recently revealed just how grimy this area can get in a video posted on social media.

The build-up on top of the cabinet was so thick it actually looked like the surface was brown instead of white.

'I used a wet Scour Daddy and the Athos multi-surface cleaner. I sprayed the Athos cleaner on the grease buildup and let it sit. This is key when you're dealing with grease and other hardened buildup. You need to give your cleaning product time to work. So, spraying your product and then scrubbing right away is not ideal,' she explained in the video.

'I let the cleaner sit for about 10 minutes, then came in with the wet Scour Daddy and started to clean. Once I got most of it off, I came in with a microfiber towel and wiped it down. Then, I moved on to another section and repeated the same cleaning process,’ she added.

Although Zapatas used a US brand multi-surface cleaner, you can clean this area with any product, especially if it has degreasing features. Warm water and dishwashing liquid also work well for this task.

Once the top of your cabinets is finally clean, Zapatas recommends a clever trick that will ensure this area never gets that dirty again.

'If you have cabinets that look like this, where there are a few inches or feet of open space between the tops of the cabinets and the ceiling, after you clean this area, lay down wax paper (baking paper) or newspaper on the top of the cabinets,' she said.

She continued: 'Wax paper is a fantastic solution because it collects the grease, allowing you to remove the paper, throw it away, and replace it when necessary. That waxy surface acts like a magnet to collect dust and grime; you only need to change it a few times a year, and it's far more time-effective than getting up there to tackle this area again.'

While a grimy kitchen may not be aesthetically pleasing, the dangers of grease buildup go beyond the visual. Grease and grime can attract pests, contribute to unpleasant odours, and even pose a fire risk.

Moreover, grease and grime can also be a breeding ground for bacteria and pests. Cockroaches, in particular, are attracted to grease and can carry harmful bacteria that can contaminate your food and cooking surfaces.

Remember, a clean kitchen is not just about appearances. It's also about maintaining a safe and healthy environment for you and your family. So, roll up your sleeves, grab your cleaning supplies, and tackle that hidden grease trap today!

Key Takeaways
  • The area above the kitchen cupboards is a commonly neglected spot that can accumulate thick layers of grease and dust.
  • Professional cleaner Kellsie Zapatas revealed the grimy buildup in a video posted on social media and shared her method for cleaning it using a multi-surface cleaner, a Scour Daddy, and a microfiber towel.
  • Warm water and dishwashing liquid can also effectively clean the greasy area, but letting the cleaning product sit before scrubbing is recommended for best results.
  • To prevent future buildup, Zapatas suggests laying down wax paper or newspaper on top of the cabinets, which can collect grease and be easily replaced.

Have you ever experienced a similar grease buildup in your kitchen? Share your cleaning tips and tricks with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I grew up with wood stoves and a mantlepiece above them . We always lined the mantlepiece with paper with a fancy cut fringe. Hence any time I've had cupboards not reaching ceiling height I've always lined them minus the fancy fringe.

Reactions: Gsr and Bridgit
The area (under ) the overhead cupboards where I have my benchtop airfryer gets greasy and I do the same thing...spray....leave for a while and the sponge off with warm water etc.

Reactions: Gsr and Bridgit
Yes when I moved into an army married quarter and I thought the top of the cupboards were brown - but to make it easier to keep them clean we put Lino on top then we could just take the Lino down and clean it - was much easier!

Who needs a professional cleaner to tell us that we probably are missing something when it comes to cleaning NOT, we have got it in the bag. I think you must be telling all the younger people. Just read the comments above there is the proof

Reactions: Gsr
I don't have a top on my cupboards, they go to the ceiling.
Please be careful those that do, it's not worth having a fall. :oops:

Reactions: Gsr