Discover the outrageous demand this landlord asks of his renter

Moving into a new rental property should be an exciting time, a chance to make a fresh start in a new home.

However, for one Adelaide tenant, the experience quickly turned sour due to an unexpected and outrageous demand from their landlord.

The landlord allegedly imposed a strict limit on the use of the property's ducted air conditioning system, allowing it to run for only two to three hours each night, even during sweltering summer temperatures.

The tenant, who shared their story on social media, was further frustrated to discover that the landlord had tampered with the air conditioning controls.

SDC 8.png
An Adelaide tenant was asked by their landlord to only use the airconditioning system for two to three hours a night. Image source: Shutterstock.

This prevented the renter to set the temperature below 24°C.

This restriction was not mentioned when the tenant viewed the property and only came to light after they had moved in.

'I moved into a two-bedroom townhouse in the CBD a couple of weeks ago. My rent is $340 per week, which includes all bills,' the tenant wrote.

'I'm technically subletting it from a person who himself pays rent to a real estate agent. I'll refer to this person as “the dude”.'

'When I went for the house inspection, there was no mention of any resource restrictions by the dude.'

'However, on my first night, I went to turn on the aircon (it is a ducted aircon with the temperature panel in the living room).'

'The dude came down to see what was going on…and said, “I can't let you run the AC all night” and put on a timer for an hour. I protested, and he increased the timer to two hours.'

The tenant's ordeal didn't end there.

After a sleepless night in a room that felt like an oven due to the 38°C outside temperature, the tenant confronted the landlord.

'The next day, I brought it up, and he said that I could run the air conditioning “when it’s more than 30c outside and for 2-3 hours a night”.'

'He never mentioned anything of that sort on the lease or orally during the inspection,' she recalled.

The tenant negotiated an informal deal with the landlord, agreeing to pay an extra $50 for eight hours of air conditioning per week.

'I had asked to split the utilities but he said he can’t do that because he just got a Tesla and will be charging it at home so it would rack up the bill there.'

However, the tenant soon began to question their arrangement.

'Now that it’s been two weeks since the deal and I finally got some time to ponder, I was wondering how fair or legal this deal and situation is. I lived with very controlling people for a few years in the past and this situation has me quite on edge while living here.'

'We signed a lease together which is the standard lease template you can get from the South Australia government’s website which doesn’t mention any restrictions about house amenities.'

'He does have a clause that if the utilities exceed $1200 for a duration of 12 weeks, the excess amount will be split 50 per cent.'

The tenant's story sparked outrage among users, many of whom were appalled by the landlord's demand.

'I live in a townhouse. I know how hot it gets,' one commented. 'The bill is the bill. That’s summer. We all should have solar but we don’t.'

While another replied: '[The] landlord sounds like the kind of guy who notices if “too much” toilet paper is being used.'

A third agreed, saying: 'He’s obsessive about saving every penny.'

Some users suggested that the tenant push the landlord on a clause in the lease, saying, 'Push him on the 12-week clause. It’ll cost less than this 50 bucks for eight hours of AC a week nonsense.'

'It doesn’t cost six bucks an hour to run even the hungriest appliance. If you really want to keep the peace, then get the rate he pays per kW/h out of him and pay what the AC actually uses.'

'It sounds like he’s basically got you paying the electricity bill (and therefore his car expenses) anyway.'

Another added, 'When I’m running my aircon 24/7, the cost is between $7 to $11 a day.'
Key Takeaways
  • An Adelaide renter shared their experience on social media of being restricted by their landlord to only using the air conditioning for two to three hours a night during hot weather.
  • The landlord also tampered with the air conditioning controls to prevent setting the temperature below 24°C and had not disclosed these restrictions prior to the tenant moving in.
  • After negotiating, the tenant agreed to pay an extra $50 to run the air conditioning for eight hours per week, which left them wondering about the fairness and legality of the arrangement.
  • Users responded with sympathy and outrage, and suggested to challenge the landlord's excessive charges for air conditioning use.
What are your thoughts on this situation? Have you ever faced similar issues with your landlord? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
All tenants have the same rights under the law, regardless of whether they are leasing from the property owner, an agent or another tenant.

If it's not specified in the lease agreement then it's not a valid restriction.

However, given 8 hrs per week is just over 1hr and 8.5 minutes per day (basically what the 'Dude' originally offered) I don't think this tenant is going to win this one.

Reactions: maherdj and Jennie
This is certainly unfair to the tenant. I used to be a landlord and there is no way I would treat my tenants like this. I would be complaining. So sorry you have to deal with this sort of person.

Reactions: Ezzy
Sorry but I feel he is not being unreasonable. Until the air conditioner was being used, the subtenant and tenant were more than happy for the tenant to foot the electricity bill. Given the dramatic increase in electricity prices it was bound to happen that some sort of limit was to be set to the electricity useage. No doubt if the sub-tenant was liable to pay for utilities like most rentals, they would be very careful of their consumption.

I believe the tenant is being unfairly treated. How can those restrictions be imposed if they were not in the Lease signed prior to tenancy. Matters like those to do with electricity use should be in writing as an addendum to the lease not a verbal statement.

In her situation l would be seeking Legal advice on the matter & if the things turn nasty after that 'the proof would be in the pudding', the matter documented as a reason for any unreasonable treatment from the other party.

Reactions: IAN3005
Sorry but I feel he is not being unreasonable. Until the air conditioner was being used, the subtenant and tenant were more than happy for the tenant to foot the electricity bill. Given the dramatic increase in electricity prices it was bound to happen that some sort of limit was to be set to the electricity useage. No doubt if the sub-tenant was liable to pay for utilities like most rentals, they would be very careful of their consumption.
I have an air conditioner that has not been used once in 7 years that I have rented the place. Never used one in all the time I have lived in Australia, 46 years.

How can a limit be set on the A/C use? Does the sub-tenant say something like, 'l know that unit uses 'x' # of units per hour to run @ 'x' cents / hour so you can only run it for this amount of time / day or week?

Is he using any sort of cooling in his section of the premises i.e. fans which use electricity to run?

Overall an unreasonable requirement.

What an absolute joke that landlord is. No way would I agree to his demands. BUT PS. You should never set your aircon below 24 degrees. It makes it work harder and can cause condensation.

Reactions: Ezzy and IAN3005
What an absolute joke that landlord is. No way would I agree to his demands. BUT PS. You should never set your aircon below 24 degrees. It makes it work harder and can cause condensation.
My air conditioner has NEVER been turned on in the 7 years I have rented this place. The same applies to the stove and the dishwasher.