Discover the little-known secret to speeding up your home Wi-Fi

These days, it feels like most of us are completely reliant on our internet connections. They're not only essential for entertainment, but in such a highly connected world, they're also integral for communication.

One of the worst things to happen is when our Wi-Fi starts to slow down or become unreliable.

It happens to all of us when we least expect it, leaving us waiting for a web page to load or a video to buffer.

Some people just put up with it, but at the Seniors Discount Club, we think there’s a better way, as we recently found out.

wifi1.jpg
There are simple tricks and changes that people can make to improve their Wi-Fi connection. Credit: Meruyert Gonullu/Pexels

It turns out there are several simple tricks and changes you can make in your home to get better internet service.

This can include the simple task of moving the Wi-Fi box off the ground and placing it about 1.5 to 2.1 metres off the ground, according to Alex Tofts, an expert in broadband services.

It’s said that a Wi-Fi router is just like a lightbulb—putting anything in the way of it will limit how much ‘light’ (or, in this case, internet connection) your router will receive.

For instance, putting it on the floor is one of the easiest mistakes to make.

Simply moving the box or elevating it on a shelf can all make vast improvements to your internet experience.

wifi2.jpg
Walls, floors, and metal objects can interfere with and weaken your router's wireless signals. Credit: Castorly Stock/Pexels

‘The general rules to bear in mind are looking for any obstacles nearby that could cause a problem,’ Tofts said.

‘Avoid placing it behind bulky furniture or next to other gadgets that could cause interference with the signal.’

That said, there are a few rooms in the home where having a router can be especially difficult, he warns.

He also advises being aware of the frequency your Wi-Fi operates at—2.4 gigahertz (GHz)---as this is the same frequency as baby monitors, garage door openers, and cordless home phones.

These items can interfere with and weaken your router’s wireless signals, so it’s best to avoid having them next to each other if possible.

If that isn’t feasible, purchasing devices that use 5.8 GHz frequencies can help reduce this interference.

Another important trick is replacing the standard omnidirectional antenna, which is a wireless transmitting or receiving antenna that radiates or intercepts radio-frequency (RF), with a high-gain antenna.

This allows users to aim their router's wireless signals in the most desirable direction. Of course, you’ll also want to make sure you’re getting the best position for your router.

Where you place the router in your home is also crucial.

Placing it centrally in your home can help you ensure that everyone in the house has the best signal coverage, and it's better to have it on the first floor than the ground floor (in a two-storey home).

However, it’s not worth keeping your router in the ceiling, as the insulation can interfere with signals. In cases like that, a Wi-Fi booster may be necessary.

It's also worth remembering that if you've got a particular device that keeps cutting out, it may be worth using an Ethernet cable instead of your Wi-Fi signal—especially for devices that stream ultra-high-definition video.

Finally, you need to make sure you’ve got a password protecting your Wi-Fi to ensure it is secure. Without one, neighbours and other people near your house can mooch off your connection.

With these simple tricks, you should be able to make the most of your home Wi-Fi connection with ease.
Key Takeaways
  • Simple tricks and changes can significantly improve the Wi-Fi connection at home, including moving the router off the floor and updating it regularly.
  • Objects such as walls, floors, and other gadgets can interfere with and weaken your router's wireless signals.
  • The position of the router in the house affects the strength of the Wi-Fi signal, with central locations providing the best signal coverage.
  • Other devices that use the same frequency as your Wi-Fi routers, such as cordless telephones, microwave ovens, and baby monitors, can interfere with the Wi-Fi signal; thus, changing to devices that use different frequencies can help reduce this interference.
Give these tips a go, and tell us in the comments if you've had any luck with your boosting your home internet connection!

Sponsored
another thing - a few years back i was told by a telstra tech that the signals come in in 'packets' .In networking, a packet is a small segment of a larger message. Data sent over computer networks*, such as the Internet, is divided into packets. These packets are then recombined by the computer or device that receives them.

evidently these can somehow build up or do something in the router and slow it down.
turn off the router for about 10 sec - i think- and reconnect. the speed shoupld come back
and does work. i use telstra mobile internet with a nighthawk. which is usually on all the time as i have it plugged in without battery in to my 12v caravan system. when i notice pages slow loading i'll unplug it , plug back in and speed back up again.

Reactions: Ricki and Tervueren
These days, it feels like most of us are completely reliant on our internet connections. They're not only essential for entertainment, but in such a highly connected world, they're also integral for communication.

One of the worst things to happen is when our Wi-Fi starts to slow down or become unreliable.

It happens to all of us when we least expect it, leaving us waiting for a web page to load or a video to buffer.

Some people just put up with it, but at the Seniors Discount Club, we think there’s a better way, as we recently found out.

View attachment 26341
There are simple tricks and changes that people can make to improve their Wi-Fi connection. Credit: Meruyert Gonullu/Pexels

It turns out there are several simple tricks and changes you can make in your home to get better internet service.

This can include the simple task of moving the Wi-Fi box off the ground and placing it about 1.5 to 2.1 metres off the ground, according to Alex Tofts, an expert in broadband services.

It’s said that a Wi-Fi router is just like a lightbulb—putting anything in the way of it will limit how much ‘light’ (or, in this case, internet connection) your router will receive.

For instance, putting it on the floor is one of the easiest mistakes to make.

Simply moving the box or elevating it on a shelf can all make vast improvements to your internet experience.

View attachment 26342
Walls, floors, and metal objects can interfere with and weaken your router's wireless signals. Credit: Castorly Stock/Pexels

‘The general rules to bear in mind are looking for any obstacles nearby that could cause a problem,’ Tofts said.

‘Avoid placing it behind bulky furniture or next to other gadgets that could cause interference with the signal.’

That said, there are a few rooms in the home where having a router can be especially difficult, he warns.

He also advises being aware of the frequency your Wi-Fi operates at—2.4 gigahertz (GHz)---as this is the same frequency as baby monitors, garage door openers, and cordless home phones.

These items can interfere with and weaken your router’s wireless signals, so it’s best to avoid having them next to each other if possible.

If that isn’t feasible, purchasing devices that use 5.8 GHz frequencies can help reduce this interference.

Another important trick is replacing the standard omnidirectional antenna, which is a wireless transmitting or receiving antenna that radiates or intercepts radio-frequency (RF), with a high-gain antenna.

This allows users to aim their router's wireless signals in the most desirable direction. Of course, you’ll also want to make sure you’re getting the best position for your router.

Where you place the router in your home is also crucial.

Placing it centrally in your home can help you ensure that everyone in the house has the best signal coverage, and it's better to have it on the first floor than the ground floor (in a two-storey home).

However, it’s not worth keeping your router in the ceiling, as the insulation can interfere with signals. In cases like that, a Wi-Fi booster may be necessary.

It's also worth remembering that if you've got a particular device that keeps cutting out, it may be worth using an Ethernet cable instead of your Wi-Fi signal—especially for devices that stream ultra-high-definition video.

Finally, you need to make sure you’ve got a password protecting your Wi-Fi to ensure it is secure. Without one, neighbours and other people near your house can mooch off your connection.

With these simple tricks, you should be able to make the most of your home Wi-Fi connection with ease.
Key Takeaways

• Simple tricks and changes can significantly improve the Wi-Fi connection at home, including moving the router off the floor and updating it regularly.
  • Objects such as walls, floors, and other gadgets can interfere with and weaken your router's wireless signals.
  • The position of the router in the house affects the strength of the Wi-Fi signal, with central locations providing the best signal coverage.
  • Other devices that use the same frequency as your Wi-Fi routers, such as cordless telephones, microwave ovens, and baby monitors, can interfere with the Wi-Fi signal; thus, changing to devices that use different frequencies can help reduce this interference.
Give these tips a go, and tell us in the comments if you've had any luck with your boosting your home internet connection!
I have also read routers should not sit on or be near a metal object..for instance a metal filing cabinet.

Reactions: Ricki and Tervueren
another thing - a few years back i was told by a telstra tech that the signals come in in 'packets' .In networking, a packet is a small segment of a larger message. Data sent over computer networks*, such as the Internet, is divided into packets. These packets are then recombined by the computer or device that receives them.

evidently these can somehow build up or do something in the router and slow it down.
turn off the router for about 10 sec - i think- and reconnect. the speed shoupld come back
and does work. i use telstra mobile internet with a nighthawk. which is usually on all the time as i have it plugged in without battery in to my 12v caravan system. when i notice pages slow loading i'll unplug it , plug back in and speed back up again.
Thanks for that

Who on earth would put their router on the floor anyway? 🤔

I'm on a modern estate where Opticomm installs the main internet box for everyone and it's up to the householder what internet supplier they want to go with from that point. Anyway, this is always installed in the garage and so is the router, about 2 metres high on a shelf, but with the thin plasterboard walls houses are made of these days there's no problem with the signal reaching the lounge although I've still got a booster behind the TV and my home office is on ethernet cable.

Not had any problems even with about 10 wi-fi items working from it.

Reactions: Ricki
You're spot on about the importance of a reliable internet connection in today's world. Slow or unreliable Wi-Fi can really disrupt our daily routines. One way to tackle this is by optimizing your router settings.Accessing your router's settings through the Verizon Fios Router Login guide can be a game-changer. This guide offers a straightforward, step-by-step approach to fine-tuning your router for better performance. It's like giving your Wi-Fi a tune-up!Another factor to consider is the placement of your router. Positioning it in a central location and away from obstructions like walls and electronics can improve coverage and reduce interference.

Last edited: