Discover the genius online shopping tip Aussie mums swear by!

In an era where the cost of living seems to be perpetually on the rise, savvy shopping has become more than just a way to save a few dollars—it is a necessity for managing household budgets.

Two Melbourne mums, Jordan Baido and Miriah Richards, have become the talk of the town with their ingenious online shopping strategies that have allowed them to save hundreds of dollars amidst the financial pressures of maternity leave, mortgages, and the general expenses of raising a family.

Jordan, a police officer and mother of two, and Miriah, a former manager at a plumbing business and new mum, have shared their personal tricks for stretching every dollar. Gone are the days of impulsive spending; these mums are all about strategic planning.

‘Being on maternity leave and the cost of living being so high and the mortgages and everything at the moment, you can’t really afford to overspend anymore,’ Ms Baido shared.

Miriah’s approach during the holiday season is a prime example of this. With a newborn in tow, she took advantage of the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales to complete her Christmas shopping, scoring discounts of around 40 per cent.

This helped her save a significant amount of money and allowed her to avoid the last-minute rush that happens during the holiday season.

‘There were deals left, right and centre, so I did all of my shopping over those four days. My husband hated those four days, I loved it,’ Miriah said.

shutterstock_1189853062-min.jpg
It is important to be a mindful spender, as long as the family’s needs are in check. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Both mums have also highlighted the benefits of online shopping as a means to avoid the temptation of unnecessary purchases that often occur in physical stores.

Miriah recommends sites like Catch.com.au for bulk buying and keeps a keen eye on supermarket websites for the best deals.

She shared, ‘Shopping from home saves a lot of money because you’re not emotionally buying, going to the shops and seeing something and then buying something unnecessarily.’

Jordan, on the other hand, loves making the most out of free trials. She advises using these opportunities to assess the value of a product or service before making a purchase. This way, she says you can see how much you will actually use the product and whether it is worth the investment.

One of the most significant revelations from these mums is their endorsement of OnePass, a delivery service that offers free delivery from a range of retail brands under the Wesfarmers umbrella, including Kmart, Target, Catch, Bunnings, Officeworks, InstantScripts, and Priceline.

The no minimum spend requirement of OnePass has made it an attractive option for the two. They find that most of their shopping needs are covered within these brands, reducing the need to look elsewhere. With this perk, Jordan and Miriah have saved up to $150 a year just on shipping costs.

The strategic shopping habits of these Aussie mums are reflective of a broader shift in Australian retail, as noted in the 2024 Australia Post eCommerce Industry report.

The report highlights the staying power of online retail, with more consumers making frequent but smaller purchases. This has given rise to the ‘strategic shopper’—a value-driven consumer who is selective with their spending.

In 2023, 9.5 million Australian households shopped online, with a total online spend of $63.6 billion. However, the average online basket size decreased, indicating a more mindful
approach to shopping. Retailers are responding to this trend by adjusting their shipping thresholds and implementing return fees to manage rising supply chain costs.

These mums’ stories are not just inspiring but also educational for anyone looking to save money without sacrificing their quality of living. By adopting some of their strategies, you too can become a more strategic shopper, making your money go further in these challenging times.

Key Takeaways

• Jordan Baido and Miriah Richards, two Melbourne mums, have shared online shopping strategies that save them significant amounts of money.
  • The sisters utilise major sale events like Black Friday and Cyber Monday, as well as the convenience of online shopping, to avoid impulsive spending and to benefit from discounts.
  • They advocate for using free trials to assess products or services before committing to purchases and recommend exploiting services like OnePass for saving on delivery costs from various retail brands.
  • The mums’ frugal shopping approaches reflect a broader trend in Australia towards more strategic and value-driven online shopping habits as outlined in the 2024 Australia Post eCommerce Industry report.

Have you discovered any tips and tricks to save money while still getting everything you need? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Reactions: Ezzy and PattiB
Sponsored
I used to have my groceries delivered but the costs kept rising so now use click and collect which prevents impulse buying, only buying what you need. I also have One Pass, I get free delivery from places like KMart and Target and Bunnings, it's great, as most stores are at least 25km away from me it saves not only on time but fuel. I am definitely saving dollars by doing click and collect shopping with the supermarkets.