Discover the Controversial Acts of an Aboriginal Elder Who Defies the Law—and Why Police Can't Stop Him!

In a world where the rule of law is often seen as the bedrock of society, there are those who challenge its universality and applicability, particularly when it comes to indigenous rights and environmental activism. One such individual is Jim Everett-Puralia Meenamatta, an 81-year-old Aboriginal elder, who has become a figure of controversy and admiration for his staunch refusal to recognize the jurisdiction of Australian law over himself and his actions.

Jim Everett-Puralia Meenamatta's story is not just about a series of rogue acts; it's a narrative deeply rooted in the history and ongoing struggle of Aboriginal Tasmanians. His recent defiance of a court order to appear before a magistrate over charges related to anti-logging protests has sparked a conversation about sovereignty, environmental stewardship, and the clash between colonial and indigenous laws.

453503777_508590528197221_5577054720969783542_n.jpg
Aboriginal elder Jim Everett-Puralia Meenamatta defied legal authorities by failing to appear in court for anti-logging protest charges in Tasmania. Credit: Facebook / Bob Brown Foundation

Everett, a respected elder and a Pakana Plangermairreenner man, has been a vocal advocate for the protection of Aboriginal lands from logging and other forms of environmental degradation. His actions, supported by the Bob Brown Foundation—an environmental action group led by former federal Greens leader Bob Brown—highlight a broader movement that seeks to preserve the natural heritage and cultural significance of Tasmania's forests.

The elder's refusal to appear in what he calls a 'colonial court' is a statement that resonates with many indigenous Australians. He asserts that the British, and consequently Australian, laws were imposed on Aboriginal Tasmanians without consent, and therefore, he does not recognize their legitimacy over his sovereign rights to protect his country.

This stance has led to a second arrest warrant being issued for Everett, but enforcing it poses a challenge. The elder resides on the remote, Aboriginal-owned Bass Strait island of Cape Barren, a vast area where locating and apprehending him is no simple task. Moreover, his commitment to his cause is unwavering, as he has expressed a willingness to face the consequences of his actions, whether they be fines or jail time.

Everett's actions and the support he receives from figures like Bob Brown and Nala Mansell, the campaign manager of the Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre, underscore a broader debate about the intersection of indigenous rights and environmental activism. Mansell has called for the trespass charge against Everett to be dropped, arguing for flexibility in the application of laws that govern Aboriginal people and their cultural responsibilities.

The elder's life work, which includes poetry, plays, political and academic papers, and short stories, is a testament to his deep connection to his heritage and the land. He speaks of the generational trauma experienced by Aboriginal communities due to the destruction of their country, a sentiment that fuels his determination to protect it.

As our members, many of whom have witnessed significant social and legal changes over the decades, reflect on this issue, it's important to consider the complexities of governance, law, and cultural heritage. Jim Everett-Puralia Meenamatta's story is not just about defiance; it's about the enduring quest for recognition and respect for Aboriginal laws and ways of life.
Key Takeaways
  • An Aboriginal elder, Jim Everett-Puralia Meenamatta, defied legal authorities by not showing up in court for charges related to anti-logging protests in Tasmania.
  • A new arrest warrant has been issued for Everett, who maintains that Australian law does not hold jurisdiction over him as an Aboriginal person protecting his country.
  • Everett claims that formal agreements for Aboriginal citizens to follow Australian laws have never been made, emphasising his sovereignty over such laws.
  • Despite potential consequences, including jail time, Everett intends to continue protesting against logging activities and argues for the recognition of Aboriginal laws and sovereignty.
We invite you to share your thoughts on this matter. Have you encountered similar stories of indigenous activism in your community? How do you think such conflicts between traditional laws and modern legal systems should be resolved? Your insights are valuable, and we look forward to a robust discussion in the comments below.

Sponsored
He is more then entitled to believe in his traditional laws. But if he does not want to obey these so called colonial laws then do not expect any government help or hand outs ie:- money, assistance, any benefits at all . Aboriginals can not have it both ways.
I agree! Look after yourself if the laws don't agree with you BUT don't expect any help financially either.

This reminds me of an incident that took place some years ago with my sister.
She was considered a healer of the spirit by some close indigenous friends and neighbours. Sis was a very special person who had a gentle way about her that would help to calm the restless spirit of people when they needed it, just by being by their side. She was quite well known and respected by the indigenous community in her neighbourhood.
There was a situation when some of the local lads took to vandalising the exterior of my sister's and a couple of her neighbour's homes. They were pulling off gates, rubbishing the gardens, dragging letter boxes out of their setting, and simply getting up to some major mischief.
My sis recognised a couple of the boys and had a quiet word with one of the elders. The result of this was dealt with within their own mob. The kids were made to repair the damage, replant, replace and clean. The elders words were their law.
I talk about this because my sister knew that if she involved the police, it would only cause trouble. So, the involvement of her friends and requesting they deal with the matter in their way was the right thing to do at the time.
I will say, there was no further bad activity in that part of the neighbourhood for many years until my sister's death.
Sometimes, we cannot see the wood for the trees. People are quick to jump to action when sometimes a voice of reason is also needed. After seeing what happened with my sister, and, how well respected the elders were, perhaps, there is another way.
Mr Meenamatta has every right to make his voice heard. However, thumbing his nose at the country's system does nothing to help his cause. Also, being threatened by incarceration is by no means an answer.
We live in a society that is them or us. We run the risk of retribution if we do not comply by rules, so, where do we find a balance?
I don't know what the answer is. This kind of stuff has been going on for time immemorial, and I would imagine, will continue unless someone finds the voice of reason that might find that balance.
I feel it won't be in my lifetime. One can only hope.

This reminds me of an incident that took place some years ago with my sister.
She was considered a healer of the spirit by some close indigenous friends and neighbours. Sis was a very special person who had a gentle way about her that would help to calm the restless spirit of people when they needed it, just by being by their side. She was quite well known and respected by the indigenous community in her neighbourhood.
There was a situation when some of the local lads took to vandalising the exterior of my sister's and a couple of her neighbour's homes. They were pulling off gates, rubbishing the gardens, dragging letter boxes out of their setting, and simply getting up to some major mischief.
My sis recognised a couple of the boys and had a quiet word with one of the elders. The result of this was dealt with within their own mob. The kids were made to repair the damage, replant, replace and clean. The elders words were their law.
I talk about this because my sister knew that if she involved the police, it would only cause trouble. So, the involvement of her friends and requesting they deal with the matter in their way was the right thing to do at the time.
I will say, there was no further bad activity in that part of the neighbourhood for many years until my sister's death.
Sometimes, we cannot see the wood for the trees. People are quick to jump to action when sometimes a voice of reason is also needed. After seeing what happened with my sister, and, how well respected the elders were, perhaps, there is another way.
Mr Meenamatta has every right to make his voice heard. However, thumbing his nose at the country's system does nothing to help his cause. Also, being threatened by incarceration is by no means an answer.
We live in a society that is them or us. We run the risk of retribution if we do not comply by rules, so, where do we find a balance?
I don't know what the answer is. This kind of stuff has been going on for time immemorial, and I would imagine, will continue unless someone finds the voice of reason that might find that balance.
I feel it won't be in my lifetime. One can only hope.
Unfortunately, it appears that they are the only ones with the right to voice their opinion. In our so-called democracy we are all entitled to speak. These days if people don't like it, they jump in to stop you, using terms such as politically incorrect, racism etc. When I grew up if you didn't like someone you just didn't like them. It had nothing to do with their colour or religion. Let's just accept that we're all different and unless we're sheep we do all have opinions. Laws are laws, they must be policed and applied to all of us in the same way. You are correct, the more we accept this assertion of the indigenous peoples that they don't need to follow our laws we will eventually end up in a civil war.

If the man's crimes are simply trespassing, for pity sake, some compassion should be shown. I would love to see the thinking world get behind someone trying to protect the environment. It's not like he's the imbecile gluing himself to a building or the asphalt, where actual physical damage is done. The man is trying to prevent environmental vandalism (even if it is legally sanctioned). It stinks strongly of the stupid priorities of this country that sees whistle blowers gaoled and criminals walk free. Particularly those in positions of power.

Not being a racial person by any means, but i feel that some of the Aboriginal population with a little knowledge of the law seem to think they can over-ride our Australian laws. I’m sure our Government of the day could change any law by way of a constitutional vote.

Reactions: Mr Chips and PattiB
Jim Everett - an 82-year-old elder arrested for protesting! He is just saying you will have to come get me and throw me in jail…for protesting. He is exercising his responsibility as an Elder to ‘Protect Country’ and what a beautiful part of the country it is!

The Tasmanian Govt. needs to wake up!! Who is their right mind would cut down and destroy such a magnificent natural ecosystem which is adjacent to the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area? Did they learn nothing from the Tasmanian Tiger becoming extinct?

Jim Everett is not trying to be a criminal as such, and I hope Greenpeace and other environmental organisations continue to fight for this cause. Google The Styx Valley of the Giants and tell me any destruction around this area is OK! I say NO! I would die on that hill! Such a beautiful gift from nature!

I am behind you 100% Jim Everett! He is not a criminal. He has stated he will go to jail, they will have to come get him as he is doing his 'duty to country' as an Elder, and doing us all a favour in my opinion.

I thought indigenous people wanted to be accepted and treated like the rest of us, everyone equal. How come he suddenly wants a different law to apply to him.
Not taking sides, but I have read about this old fella a few times and he just seems to want to protect the environment. Also, his biggest crime seems to be trespassing. Not every first nations person wants to be 'treated like the rest of us' some quite simply prefer their traditional ways.