Discover the cleaning pro's secret weapon for the perfect dusting job

When it comes to dusting, your choices of tools can feel overwhelming. Feathered dusters, electrostatic cloths, vacuum cleaners – the list goes on, but which one is the most effective?

According to a professional cleaner, there’s one tool that you need to get the job done every time.

Dusting surfaces can be tough to clean, but don’t worry! Kacie Stephens has a few tips that can make your dusting duties a breeze.

The cleaning expert, who owns Melbourne-based cleaning service The Big Clean Co, recently revealed her secret weapon for the best dusting results in a video she posted on her company’s social media account.

clean1.jpg
Kacie shared her top tips on Instagram. Credit: Karolina Grabowska/Pexels

Kacie shared that instead of using a duster, she always has microfibre cloths sprayed with diluted ‘For All’ – a concentrated detergent product she created – on hand for dusting most surfaces.

You can buy a 20-pack of microfibre cloth at Bunnings for $10.

‘You’ll pick up more dust and hold it [in the cloth], leaving surfaces cleaner,’ she said in the video.

Kacie shared a disclaimer though. She explained that long-handle dusters are still best used for hard-to-reach areas and dry dusting walls.

She said she avoids using dusters for skirting boards or flat surfaces such as window sills or table tops. ‘They tend to push the dirt around and also leave lint,’ she explained.

clean2.jpg
You can buy microfibre cloths at your local supermarket. Credit: Bunnings

Kacie’s tip was welcomed by her followers, who had more questions and thoughts about microfibre cloths.

To clean the cloths, Kacie shared that she washes hers in the washing machine using hot water.

‘Washing microfibre cloths in hot water is a controversial tip because it does wear them out faster, but it cleans them better (making sure all grease and grime is removed), and a really clean microfibre is what you need to use to clean your house,’ she explained.

Another tip for maintaining microfibre cloths is to pop them in the drier for five minutes. Kacie explained that tossing them in the drier for 5 minutes is the best way to keep them lint-free.

‘That static feeling that makes you feel a bit sick? That’s what’s making the dust cling to them,’ she stated.

For an alternative to the all-purpose cleaning detergent that Kacie suggested, you can always make your own natural solution!

All you need is vinegar, olive oil, and a touch of dish soap! To make the solution, combine 2 cups of water, a cup of vinegar (for disinfection purposes), and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to keep dust away for longer. Finally, add one to two drops of dish soap (any brand works) for extra cleaning power. Mix these all together in a spray bottle and use it while you wipe down surfaces with microfibre cloths.

Key Takeaways

• Professional cleaner Kacie Stephens prefers to use microfiber cloths instead of traditional dusters for dusting.
  • Kacie suggests using a concentrated detergent product and spraying it on the cloth before wiping down surfaces.
  • She recommends cleaning and maintaining the cloths by washing them in hot water, letting them air dry and putting them in the dryer for five minutes.
Let us know in the comments below if you have any other cleaning tips!

Sponsored
I have always used a microfibre cloth for dusting. Also, great for tv & computer monitor screens without chemicals.
I don't use any products though, as I find a damp microfibre cleans dust and screens perfectly.
Over the years, I've tried so many types of microfibre cloths. I stick with Vileda microfibre cloths from Bunnings, as they are good quality.

I use a sticky roller for dusting, just peel off when it’s not sticky any more. Great for blinds and picks up hair thread etc. you can give the cat or dog a going over each day to prevent pet hair on furniture etc too.

To answer the headline question, no, I’m not tired of spending hours dusting, because I don’t spend hours dusting! 🤣 I don’t have lots of dust-collecting ornaments so it’s not an onerous task. It just gets done as part of my normal cleaning routine.