Discover the amazing secret that helped an Aussie mum earn $6,000 from the Melbourne Cup!

As life gets busier and the cost of living continues to climb, many are looking for innovative ways to supplement their income.

The concept of a side hustle is gaining traction, and one Melbourne mum has found an ingenious way of turning hers into a smashing success.

If you’re looking for something to help you make ends meet while still looking your best, then you should know about the ‘secret’ she has been doing.

Mia Roth had already started renting out her wardrobe to other Aussie women who are ‘sharing’ clothing. She rented it on a peer-to-peer dress-sharing platform called The Volte in November 2022, and, according to her, it ‘escalated quickly’.

In the past week alone, Roth has made $6,000 by renting her designer dresses out in time for the Melbourne Cup, and it’s been a boon for her business.

markus-spiske-dWsDMwStoog-unsplash.jpg
Mia Roth has been renting her designer dresses in a dress-sharing platform, which ‘escalated quickly’. Credit: Unsplash

‘I've now got around 140 dresses on there, and the most popular ones tend to be higher-end ones,’ she said.

‘Renting out your clothes on The Volte is a great way to not only make money but also let other women enjoy wearing beautiful designer dresses and new ranges at an affordable price,’ she added.

'I'm a mum of two and was looking at doing part-time work when I started it, but it's now become a lucrative business.’

Renters are also reaping the benefits, as this saves money by renting dresses they would have only worn a few times for just a fraction of the cost.

Nearly half, or 48 per cent, of Aussies have planned or are planning to start a side business, as around 950,000 people are working multiple jobs due to the high cost of living.

Jo Pastras, a mum-of-five, said she had to cut down on groceries as she tried to cover increasing prices.

She said, ‘I'm a mum of five and have two grandkids and have had to cut back on things like groceries due to the rising cost of living, but I'm very naughty—I don't want to cut down on clothes and looking good.’

She is ‘borrowing’ Roth’s $800 Rebecca Vallance dress to wear to the Melbourne Cup for just $138—a great deal compared to having to buy a new dress, which could have cost her even more.

Bernadette Olivier, the CEO and co-founder of The Volte, shed some light on why peer-to-peer dress rentals are becoming increasingly popular.

‘Bookings have gone berserk this week with the Melbourne Cup Carnival,’ she said.

‘Sales are also up 300 per cent, and we are seeing new dress hire listings on the same trajectory,’ she added.

‘More and more women are seeing beautiful quality fashion as an investment because it’s reflected in the number of new-season dresses being listed to rent.’

Olivier also noticed the shift in consumer behaviour.

‘We hope it continues as it will eventually mean fast fashion won't be a consideration if you can rent a beautiful designer dress,’ she noted.

Key Takeaways
  • Melbourne mother-of-two Mia Roth has been renting out their clothes on an online dress-sharing platform.
  • Roth has earned $6,000 in a week by renting out her dresses for the Melbourne Cup.
  • Roth began renting her clothes out on the peer-to-peer dress-sharing platform The Volte in November 2022, seeing it quickly become a lucrative business.
  • With the rising cost of living, almost 48 per cent of Australians have or are planning to start a side business.

Members, what do you think of this story? Are you willing to try renting dresses? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Jo Pastras, mum of five thinks it's a good idea to pay $138 to hire a dress to go to the Melbourne Cup, while admitting she has cut back on groceries for her children.
Talk about having your priorities right.
If you can't afford groceries stay home and watch the Cup on TV like millions of others.
$138 buys quite a few groceries, albeit not as many as it should.
You decided to have 5 children and they should come first.

Yes, I believe so many who cry poor ignore the essentials to fit their own egos. And are these people who do this sort of business ‘on the side’ declaring this income to the tax man? Working people - the legitimate workers - have to declare their income and are taxed so the ones doing this on the side should also declare any money they make like the rest of the population who pay their taxes. Some of these side lines are quite lucrative for the ones doing it and they say, quite openly, that they make thousands a month.

You can buy a nice dress for $138, to waste that amount of money to pamper your own ego is beyond ridiculous.
Nobody cares if you're wearing designer label or not in fact the majority wouldn't even know.
Seeing all these people at events commenting "oh yes, I'm wearing Fred Nerds latest design" really, for heaven's sake, get over yourself.

You can buy a nice dress for $138, to waste that amount of money to pamper your own ego is beyond ridiculous.
Nobody cares if you're wearing designer label or not in fact the majority wouldn't even know.
Seeing all these people at events commenting "oh yes, I'm wearing Fred Nerds latest design" really, for heaven's sake, get over yourself.
Actually what a moron to gloat about it🤔To neglect your family is disgusting shame on her🙀

As life gets busier and the cost of living continues to climb, many are looking for innovative ways to supplement their income.

The concept of a side hustle is gaining traction, and one Melbourne mum has found an ingenious way of turning hers into a smashing success.

If you’re looking for something to help you make ends meet while still looking your best, then you should know about the ‘secret’ she has been doing.

Mia Roth had already started renting out her wardrobe to other Aussie women who are ‘sharing’ clothing. She rented it on a peer-to-peer dress-sharing platform called The Volte in November 2022, and, according to her, it ‘escalated quickly’.

In the past week alone, Roth has made $6,000 by renting her designer dresses out in time for the Melbourne Cup, and it’s been a boon for her business.

View attachment 34159
Mia Roth has been renting her designer dresses in a dress-sharing platform, which ‘escalated quickly’. Credit: Unsplash

‘I've now got around 140 dresses on there, and the most popular ones tend to be higher-end ones,’ she said.

‘Renting out your clothes on The Volte is a great way to not only make money but also let other women enjoy wearing beautiful designer dresses and new ranges at an affordable price,’ she added.

'I'm a mum of two and was looking at doing part-time work when I started it, but it's now become a lucrative business.’

Renters are also reaping the benefits, as this saves money by renting dresses they would have only worn a few times for just a fraction of the cost.

Nearly half, or 48 per cent, of Aussies have planned or are planning to start a side business, as around 950,000 people are working multiple jobs due to the high cost of living.

Jo Pastras, a mum-of-five, said she had to cut down on groceries as she tried to cover increasing prices.

She said, ‘I'm a mum of five and have two grandkids and have had to cut back on things like groceries due to the rising cost of living, but I'm very naughty—I don't want to cut down on clothes and looking good.’

She is ‘borrowing’ Roth’s $800 Rebecca Vallance dress to wear to the Melbourne Cup for just $138—a great deal compared to having to buy a new dress, which could have cost her even more.

Bernadette Olivier, the CEO and co-founder of The Volte, shed some light on why peer-to-peer dress rentals are becoming increasingly popular.

‘Bookings have gone berserk this week with the Melbourne Cup Carnival,’ she said.

‘Sales are also up 300 per cent, and we are seeing new dress hire listings on the same trajectory,’ she added.

‘More and more women are seeing beautiful quality fashion as an investment because it’s reflected in the number of new-season dresses being listed to rent.’

Olivier also noticed the shift in consumer behaviour.

‘We hope it continues as it will eventually mean fast fashion won't be a consideration if you can rent a beautiful designer dress,’ she noted.

Key Takeaways

• Melbourne mother-of-two Mia Roth has been renting out their clothes on an online dress-sharing platform.
  • Roth has earned $6,000 in a week by renting out her dresses for the Melbourne Cup.
  • Roth began renting her clothes out on the peer-to-peer dress-sharing platform The Volte in November 2022, seeing it quickly become a lucrative business.
  • With the rising cost of living, almost 48 per cent of Australians have or are planning to start a side business.

Members, what do you think of this story? Are you willing to try renting dresses? Let us know in the comments below!
at least she has innitiative. each to their own i say.

Reactions: Granny*Deb
and by the by......out of interest....how many women have 140 'high-end' dresses lurking in their closets to rent out. Alright for some I guess......as long as you look after your children first and for most of course. 🤔😉

and by the by......out of interest....how many women have 140 'high-end' dresses lurking in their closets to rent out. Alright for some I guess......as long as you look after your children first and for most of course. 🤔😉
The first woman had 2kids and didn’t say she was neglecting her children and must be pretty loaded good luck to her.it’s the idiot jo Patras that bought the dress for $138.00 and admitted to cutting out food for her kids.😢

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and Leenie
That’s fine it’s the idiot jo Patras that bought the dress for $138.00 and cut out food for her kids.😢
I was thinking of the woman with so many 'high end' dresses to rent out....they must cost a lot to buy. As I said, it's nice if you can afford them.....but not at your children's expense I hope. Patras is another situation altogether. 😉

Reactions: Ezzy
Jo Pastras, mum of five thinks it's a good idea to pay $138 to hire a dress to go to the Melbourne Cup, while admitting she has cut back on groceries for her children.
Talk about having your priorities right.
If you can't afford groceries stay home and watch the Cup on TV like millions of others.
$138 buys quite a few groceries, albeit not as many as it should.
You decided to have 5 children and they should come first.
Right on the nail..... get your priorities straight 1. roof over your head and 5 kids.
2. ensure they are well nourished

I'll have to look in my wardrobe, but I gave most of my clothes to charity. My sister and I each lost nearly 40kg, just on diets, so got rid of most of our clothes. They were about 5 sizes too big, some were new as bought during Covid lockdowns and we didn't get to wear them as didn't go anywhere. I did give a lot to one of my friends too. I doubt I had designer clothes though!