Discover the $2 Coin Error That Could Turn Your Next Woolworths Visit Into a $3,000 Payday!

As Australians, we're no strangers to the thrill of a lucky find, and for coin collectors and everyday shoppers alike, the latest news from the Royal Australian Mint might just turn an ordinary grocery run into a treasure hunt. Recently, special-edition $2 coins released to celebrate the upcoming Paris Olympic and Paralympic Games have been found with unique errors that could significantly increase their value.

These limited-edition coins, which were distributed to customers paying with cash at Woolworths supermarkets nationwide, have caught the attention of collectors due to their rarity and the potential for a hefty payday. As word spread and more people sought to have these error coins valued, Yahoo Finance reached out to the Mint to gauge the extent of the production issues.

The Royal Australian Mint, while acknowledging the curiosity, stated that without inspecting the coins firsthand, it's impossible to confirm the prevalence of these errors. However, some of the coins have been found with missing letters, while others boast a potentially lucrative 'bullseye' error, where the coloured motif that's typically on the tail side is mistakenly printed on the head side, over King Charles III's effigy.

compressed-woolworths coins.jpeg
The limited-edition coins sported the Australian Olympic and Paralympic teams' colours. Image Credit: Woolworths

The coins were initially released through Woolworths as part of a promotion leading up to the Paris Olympics, with collectors also able to snag limited edition albums from the Mint and Australia Post. Over the release period, a new coin design was introduced every two weeks, featuring three Olympic designs and one for the Paralympics, all adorned with the classic Aussie colours of green and gold.

Despite the excitement, the Royal Australian Mint has been clear that errors do not officially change the value of the coins, which remains at face value. However, coin experts beg to differ. Mark Nemtsas from The Purple Penny has indicated that legitimate Woolies Olympic bullseye error coins could fetch between $1,000 to $3,000 at auction, with some bullseyes having sold for nearly $6,000 in the past.

Another type of error, the die-fill error, where grease or oil prevents certain features from being imprinted on the coin, could see values of $30 to $50, according to Nemtsas. Matthew Thompson of Thompsons Coins and Collectables adds that errors from the Royal Australian Mint are very uncommon due to their high-quality standards and stringent procedures, which is why these coins can be so valuable and sought after.

However, with the excitement comes a word of caution. The market has seen a proliferation of fake bullseye error coins, leading to a collapse in value for unauthenticated pieces. Scammers have been creating their own versions of these errors and selling them for thousands to unsuspecting collectors. Nemtsas advises that genuine coins can still command high prices if they're authenticated, urging potential buyers to have the coins verified by an authorised seller.

So, next time you're at Woolworths, keep an eye on your change—you might just walk away with more than your groceries. If you're lucky enough to find one of these rare error coins, remember to have it checked by a professional to ensure its authenticity and value. Who knows, that $2 coin could turn into a $3,000 windfall!
Key Takeaways

• The Royal Australian Mint has acknowledged that there are errors on some special-edition Olympic coins that were distributed at Woolworths supermarkets.
  • The errors, such as missing letters or the 'bullseye' printing mistake, can significantly increase the value of the coins for collectors.
  • Coin experts have provided estimates, suggesting that legitimate error coins can fetch between $1,000 to $3,000 or more at auction.
  • Collectors and buyers are advised to be cautious of counterfeit error coins and to have any potential error coins authenticated by authorised dealers.
We'd love to hear from our Seniors Discount Club members! Have any of you come across these special $2 coins in your change? Share your stories in the comments below, and let's celebrate the unexpected joys that can come from a simple trip to the supermarket.

Reactions: Kevin. A.
Sponsored
Yes already looking. My son announced recently that he is interested in coin collecting and so was bitten by the coin collecting bug. Guess who is doing the grunt of the coin collecting and looking for errors. One guess only :ROFLMAO: It is a very interesting hobby, lots to learn, plenty of late nights and at least one trip a week to the bank for new coin rolls.

Reactions: DLHM
Yes already looking. My son announced recently that he is interested in coin collecting and so was bitten by the coin collecting bug. Guess who is doing the grunt of the coin collecting and looking for errors. One guess only :ROFLMAO: It is a very interesting hobby, lots to learn, plenty of late nights and at least one trip a week to the bank for new coin rolls.
You’re a good dad. 👍🏻 I wish you and your son good fortune with your coin collecting. 💰

Reactions: Kevin. A.
You’re a good dad. 👍🏻 I wish you and your son good fortune with your coin collecting. 💰
I have found a few gems still trying to work out the best strategy for putting them into some form of catalog order. This way I know which individual coins have which errors. You start to get several coins of the same denomination, same year and type of error; so, it can get into a mess very quickly when you are trying to identify a specific coin and error. I think I will have to do an Excell data base, that way I can place images next to an ID Number and connect these details with each coin. I knew I studied databases for something. The challenge has been set. Cheers.

Reactions: DLHM