Discover the $1.6 billion monthly habit Aussies can't quit—even in the face of a cost of living crisis!

As the cost of living in Australia continues to rise, many are looking for ways to cut back on spending and make their money stretch further.

However, according to a recent study, there's one expense many have refused to give up…

We all want to look and feel our best, and while such treatments can often be pricey, 41 per cent of Aussies are still investing in personal care—with an average spending of $431 a month on beauty services.

According to recent data from a Finder study, collectively, Aussies are spending up to a whopping $1.6 billion monthly and $19.7 billion annually on cosmetic and beauty treatments, respectively.

SDC Images (11).png
Cosmetic and beauty treatments expenses in Australia add up to $1.6 billion in just a month. Image source: Freepik.

Finder Money Expert Sarah Megginson said: 'Despite rising costs, people are spending a big portion of their incomes on personal care.'

'You'd think the number of these optional beauty routines like manicures, eyelash extensions and facials might have taken a hit, but many are reluctant to give them up.'

While Megginson says self-care is important, Aussies are encouraged to start thinking about the present and future costs of maintaining this habit as many seem to prioritise beauty treatments in their monthly budgets.

'It's all about balance—there are ways to take care of yourself without breaking your bank account,' Megginson emphasised.

Majority—57 per cent—of the 1,073 Aussies involved in the study investing in beauty treatments were women, while 26 per cent were male.

The study revealed that 34 per cent of all the respondents (and 46 per cent of all the female participants) have kept their hair appointments over the last year despite the pressures of the current cost of living crisis. On average, hair appointments reportedly cost $75 individually and $517 million in total nationwide.

Nail appointments were also popular, with 32 per cent of women having them at an average price of $39 per month.

Moreover, eyelash extensions and waxing had the same popularity among women, with 24 per cent saying they have had this type of service done in the past year.

However, the difference in the average cost of these two services were evident, as waxing cost $20 a month while eyelash extensions cost the average Australian $39 a month.

Additionally, laser hair removal was also popular among 22 per cent of women and 16 per cent among all respondents. The service cost around $31 monthly for both men and women.

Skin treatments and facial, eyebrow microblading, fake tanning, and teeth whitening services were found to have been availed by 15 per cent of Aussies in the past year.

Lastly, the most expensive type of service is plastic surgery services such as Botox, fillers, and more. This service is costing Australians around $131 each month.

Twenty-three per cent of women in the study have used Botox, compared to only 11 per cent of men.

Sarah Megginson also talked about the effect of social media on women’s perception of beauty.

'Social media has set unrealistic beauty standards—it's a major confidence killer, and now it's not just hurting their self-esteem, it's hurting their budgets too,' she said.

'We're seeing people spending well above their means to achieve and maintain their beauty rituals,' she added.
Key Takeaways
  • Despite rising living costs, a large proportion of the Australian population reportedly spends an average of $431 monthly on personal care treatments like hair care, nail care, facials, and more, contributing to a total yearly spend of $19.7 billion.
  • The study involving 1,073 Aussies found that women tend to spend more on beauty services compared to men, with 57 per cent of women continuing to pay for beauty treatments over the past year compared to 26 per cent of men.
  • Among the various beauty treatments, the majority of Aussies continue to uphold their hair appointments despite cost-of-living pressures, with 34 per cent of all the respondents and 46 per cent of women reporting they have had their hair done in the past year.
  • Other popular services include nail appointments, eyelash extensions, waxing, laser hair removal, and teeth whitening.
  • The most expensive treatment found was Botox, fillers, and other forms of plastic surgery.
So, members, what are your thoughts on such a spending trend in today’s financially challenging climate? Is setting money aside for beauty treatments or the occasional pampering session a bad thing per se? Tell us in the comments below!

Sponsored
As the cost of living in Australia continues to rise, many are looking for ways to cut back on spending and make their money stretch further.

However, according to a recent study, there's one expense many have refused to give up…

We all want to look and feel our best, and while such treatments can often be pricey, 41 per cent of Aussies are still investing in personal care—with an average spending of $431 a month on beauty services.

According to recent data from a Finder study, collectively, Aussies are spending up to a whopping $1.6 billion monthly and $19.7 billion annually on cosmetic and beauty treatments, respectively.

View attachment 30592
Cosmetic and beauty treatments expenses in Australia add up to $1.6 billion in just a month. Image source: Freepik.

Finder Money Expert Sarah Megginson said: 'Despite rising costs, people are spending a big portion of their incomes on personal care.'

'You'd think the number of these optional beauty routines like manicures, eyelash extensions and facials might have taken a hit, but many are reluctant to give them up.'

While Megginson says self-care is important, Aussies are encouraged to start thinking about the present and future costs of maintaining this habit as many seem to prioritise beauty treatments in their monthly budgets.

'It's all about balance—there are ways to take care of yourself without breaking your bank account,' Megginson emphasised.

Majority—57 per cent—of the 1,073 Aussies involved in the study investing in beauty treatments were women, while 26 per cent were male.

The study revealed that 34 per cent of all the respondents (and 46 per cent of all the female participants) have kept their hair appointments over the last year despite the pressures of the current cost of living crisis. On average, hair appointments reportedly cost $75 individually and $517 million in total nationwide.

Nail appointments were also popular, with 32 per cent of women having them at an average price of $39 per month.

Moreover, eyelash extensions and waxing had the same popularity among women, with 24 per cent saying they have had this type of service done in the past year.

However, the difference in the average cost of these two services were evident, as waxing cost $20 a month while eyelash extensions cost the average Australian $39 a month.

Additionally, laser hair removal was also popular among 22 per cent of women and 16 per cent among all respondents. The service cost around $31 monthly for both men and women.

Skin treatments and facial, eyebrow microblading, fake tanning, and teeth whitening services were found to have been availed by 15 per cent of Aussies in the past year.

Lastly, the most expensive type of service is plastic surgery services such as Botox, fillers, and more. This service is costing Australians around $131 each month.

Twenty-three per cent of women in the study have used Botox, compared to only 11 per cent of men.

Sarah Megginson also talked about the effect of social media on women’s perception of beauty.

'Social media has set unrealistic beauty standards—it's a major confidence killer, and now it's not just hurting their self-esteem, it's hurting their budgets too,' she said.

'We're seeing people spending well above their means to achieve and maintain their beauty rituals,' she added.
Key Takeaways

• Despite rising living costs, a large proportion of the Australian population reportedly spends an average of $431 monthly on personal care treatments like hair care, nail care, facials, and more, contributing to a total yearly spend of $19.7 billion.
  • The study involving 1,073 Aussies found that women tend to spend more on beauty services compared to men, with 57 per cent of women continuing to pay for beauty treatments over the past year compared to 26 per cent of men.
  • Among the various beauty treatments, the majority of Aussies continue to uphold their hair appointments despite cost-of-living pressures, with 34 per cent of all the respondents and 46 per cent of women reporting they have had their hair done in the past year.
  • Other popular services include nail appointments, eyelash extensions, waxing, laser hair removal, and teeth whitening.
  • The most expensive treatment found was Botox, fillers, and other forms of plastic surgery.
So, members, what are your thoughts on such a spending trend in today’s financially challenging climate? Is setting money aside for beauty treatments or the occasional pampering session a bad thing per se? Tell us in the comments below!
Not me

Reactions: Littleboy8

View attachment 30592

Key Takeaways

not me. $32 every 5 weeks for a haircut. when you go grey and it is pretty what else do i need.

I'm not one of those either.
$25 every 8-10 weeks for a buzz cut (I go to a men' s barber). Hardly got any hair and I don't care if I'm entirely grey. Hubby spends about the same every 8 weeks for a cut and beard trim.
Very basic cleansing and moisturising for both hubby and I, some of which he has covered in Aged Care.
I think many of my SDC friends would be amazed at the price of hair salons today. I thought I'd give my daughter in law a birthday treat and get her a gift voucher at her chosen hair salon. When I went in I was asked how much, and I replied, how much would she spend each visit. The answer was around $190 for a cut and colour. OMG I nearly passed out. Needless to say, the voucher was nowhere near that amount.
When I think about, the little salon in the suburbs would have to charge those kind of prices just to survive the rental pressure and give themselves a decent living.
I'm afraid I cannot justify the beauty salon side of things. Keeping things simple and ageing gracefully is a much more affordable approach in my eyes.

I'm not one of those either.
$25 every 8-10 weeks for a buzz cut (I go to a men' s barber). Hardly got any hair and I don't care if I'm entirely grey. Hubby spends about the same every 8 weeks for a cut and beard trim.
Very basic cleansing and moisturising for both hubby and I, some of which he has covered in Aged Care.
I think many of my SDC friends would be amazed at the price of hair salons today. I thought I'd give my daughter in law a birthday treat and get her a gift voucher at her chosen hair salon. When I went in I was asked how much, and I replied, how much would she spend each visit. The answer was around $190 for a cut and colour. OMG I nearly passed out. Needless to say, the voucher was nowhere near that amount.
When I think about, the little salon in the suburbs would have to charge those kind of prices just to survive the rental pressure and give themselves a decent living.
I'm afraid I cannot justify the beauty salon side of things. Keeping things simple and ageing gracefully is a much more affordable approach in my eyes.
Ever since I was young i’ve cut and coloured my hair even today at 65 I still cut my own hair I don’t colour anymore as I like my greyish hair.I hate those bowls at the hair dressers and the constant banal chatter.😹

Reactions: MariaG
What an absolute croc. Why would anyone in this financiall difficult period be so self centred and ridiculous. There is nothing more beautiful than a healthy body. Good skin doesn’t require any enhancement or dressing up to make us into a magazine or on line guru‘s idea of beauty. Is it any wonder our youth suffer body image damage.

What an absolute croc. Why would anyone in this financiall difficult period be so self centred and ridiculous. There is nothing more beautiful than a healthy body. Good skin doesn’t require any enhancement or dressing up to make us into a magazine or on line guru‘s idea of beauty. Is it any wonder our youth suffer body image damage.
When I walk pat hairdressers I notice they have that much makeup on they look like clowns. And the cleavage hanging out😹

I pay $26.00 every five weeks for my hair to be cut. Have not had it coloured since I stopped work 20 years ago and embraced being grey. My hair incidentally has never been so healthy. I would sooner spend any extra money on nice cuts of meat for decent meals.

I pay $26.00 every five weeks for my hair to be cut. Have not had it coloured since I stopped work 20 years ago and embraced being grey. My hair incidentally has never been so healthy. I would sooner spend any extra money on nice cuts of meat for decent meals.
I’m with you I love my grey hair and mine is so soft and healthy. And I love cutting my own hair because I know what I want😁