Discover the ‘game-changing’ drink for people with Type 2 Diabetes!

Living with Type 2 Diabetes can feel like an uphill battle, but what if we told you there’s a way to ease the symptoms at home?

A recent study has indicated that a daily dose of a specific drink could help reduce blood sugar levels in people with diabetes!

The research conducted by a team of experts at Georgetown University looked at the effect of drinking kombucha on both blood sugar and insulin levels.

kombucha_flickr_8d8eebcb-bcb8-449b-ac08-1c81369832d3.jpeg
A research team from Georgetown University studied the effect of kombucha on diabetes. Image source: flickr.

Twelve individuals whose blood sugar levels were uncontrolled were chosen to take part in the study, and were asked to drink kombucha with their evening meals every day for four weeks.

They also drank a placebo–for another four weeks–with a similar flavour and colour so they couldn’t tell the difference.

Then, the team of researchers examined the data and noticed that after drinking kombucha, the participants had much lower blood sugar levels–but the same could not be said for the other drink.

So why exactly is kombucha so effective against Type 2 Diabetes?

Well, according to the research, kombucha has the potential to increase the proportion of good microflora living in the gut, and this could in turn affect the host’s metabolic function and potentially lower their blood sugar levels.

On top of this, fans of the fermented cold tea claim that it can reduce cholesterol, flatten your stomach, and even protect you from cancer.

Research suggests kombucha could help regenerate beta cells which produce the hormone insulin to regulate blood sugar. However, this can also be attributed to how filling drinking kombucha can be as people end up eating less food each meal allowing for better control of their blood sugar levels.

However, as Dr Dan Merenstein, the co-author of the study, said: 'To our knowledge this is the first clinical trial examining effects of kombucha in people with diabetes.'

He added: 'A lot more research needs to be done but this is very promising.'

At any rate, the average blood sugar in those 12 participants, after a month of drinking kombucha, had dropped from 164 to 116 milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood.

Furthermore, the study published in the journal Frontiers in Nutrition showed that the biggest improvements in blood sugar levels were seen in people who initially had poorly controlled blood sugar levels.

We recommend speaking to your doctor before trying out any new treatments for diabetes. As Naveed Sattar, Professor of Metabolic Medicine at the University of Glasgow, suggested: 'I would rather do the things we know work to help improve sugar or diabetes control–and that is better activity, sleep, and trying to reduce my intake of discretionary calories.'

It is also important to note that, even though the results of this research look very promising, it was conducted on a fairly small group of participants. Therefore, more research still needs to be done.

Key Takeaways

• Kombucha, a fermented tea drink, may help reduce blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes, according to a study.
  • The study involved 12 people who drank kombucha daily with dinner for four weeks, resulting in a significant drop in their blood sugar levels.
  • The potential benefits of kombucha may derive from a boost in the proportion of good microflora in the gut, which impact metabolism and blood sugar regulation.
  • While the outcomes of this study are promising, this was a small-scale trial, and more comprehensive research is required to confirm these findings.
Have you tried kombucha before? Would you try this or do you have another way you prefer to manage Type 2 Diabetes? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Living with Type 2 Diabetes can feel like an uphill battle, but what if we told you there’s a way to ease the symptoms at home?

A recent study has indicated that a daily dose of a specific drink could help reduce blood sugar levels in people with diabetes!

The research conducted by a team of experts at Georgetown University looked at the effect of drinking kombucha on both blood sugar and insulin levels.

View attachment 27757
A research team from Georgetown University studied the effect of kombucha on diabetes. Image source: flickr.

Twelve individuals whose blood sugar levels were uncontrolled were chosen to take part in the study, and were asked to drink kombucha with their evening meals every day for four weeks.

They also drank a placebo–for another four weeks–with a similar flavour and colour so they couldn’t tell the difference.

Then, the team of researchers examined the data and noticed that after drinking kombucha, the participants had much lower blood sugar levels–but the same could not be said for the other drink.

Well, according to the research, kombucha has the potential to increase the proportion of good microflora living in the gut, and this could in turn affect the host’s metabolic function and potentially lower their blood sugar levels.

On top of this, fans of the fermented cold tea claim that it can reduce cholesterol, flatten your stomach, and even protect you from cancer.

Research suggests kombucha could help regenerate beta cells which produce the hormone insulin to regulate blood sugar. However, this can also be attributed to how filling drinking kombucha can be as people end up eating less food each meal allowing for better control of their blood sugar levels.

However, as Dr Dan Merenstein, the co-author of the study, said: 'To our knowledge this is the first clinical trial examining effects of kombucha in people with diabetes.'

At any rate, the average blood sugar in those 12 participants, after a month of drinking kombucha, had dropped from 164 to 116 milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood.

Furthermore, the study published in the journal Frontiers in Nutrition showed that the biggest improvements in blood sugar levels were seen in people who initially had poorly controlled blood sugar levels.

We recommend speaking to your doctor before trying out any new treatments for diabetes. As Naveed Sattar, Professor of Metabolic Medicine at the University of Glasgow, suggested: 'I would rather do the things we know work to help improve sugar or diabetes control–and that is better activity, sleep, and trying to reduce my intake of discretionary calories.'

It is also important to note that, even though the results of this research look very promising, it was conducted on a fairly small group of participants. Therefore, more research still needs to be done.

Key Takeaways

• Kombucha, a fermented tea drink, may help reduce blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes, according to a study.
  • The study involved 12 people who drank kombucha daily with dinner for four weeks, resulting in a significant drop in their blood sugar levels.
  • The potential benefits of kombucha may derive from a boost in the proportion of good microflora in the gut, which impact metabolism and blood sugar regulation.
  • While the outcomes of this study are promising, this was a small-scale trial, and more comprehensive research is required to confirm these findings.
Have you tried kombucha before? Would you try this or do you have another way you prefer to manage Type 2 Diabetes? Let us know in the comments below!
Good grief you'd have to do a lot of trials to prove this. I doubt that it really helped and depending on what they felt was a good level of blood sugar then it could be just junk science. Mostly it would be cutting out sugar and carbs that would lower the blood sugar, not drinking kombucha and eating whatever you want

View attachment 27757

Key Takeaways

SDC is not a medical practice
Always do your own research
Personally I won't ever touch it as too sweet -too high sugar content

I deliberately avoid FAD foods and drinks.
Kombucha is not something I have ever had an interest in trying. Also, I feel like these so called new age drinks are yet another way to pull in people to spend their hard earned cash.
I feel the same about the energy drink revolution. I see young kids wandering around with those green, blue or pink bottles of energy treating them like cordial. They are a land mine of not so friendly ingredients. Fine for an elite athlete or marathon runner, but not for children.
Honestly, I even avoid buying bottles of water if I can. At home I drink it out of the tap, and take a bottle with me in the car.
I would go nowhere near these supposedly tried and tested miracle remedies until they have been put on the Medicare approved prescription list.

My son was drinking this awhile ago and my daughter looked it up and said it's not good for you especially too much as it's linked to liver damage and strangely diabetes 🤔😳