Discover Maggie Beer's powerful secret to coping with her daughter's tragic loss at only 46 years old

The tragic and unexpected loss of a child is something no parent should have to experience. Last year, beloved Australian chef Maggie Beer faced such heartbreak when her eldest daughter, Saskia, passed away in her sleep at the age of just 46.

This devastating event coincided with Australia's strict Covid lockdowns, leaving Maggie to grieve within the confines of her home. Speaking to The Australian Women's Weekly, Maggie, 78, opened up about how she found comfort in the kitchen, where her passion for food began and shared a tender part of her heart with her daughter.

'I wanted to give back, and that helped me through [the grief]. I did all these 'Cooking with Maggie' videos. Just my assistant with a phone and me. For a while, I did them every day,' she explained.

1684910468026.png

Amidst the challenges brought by the Covid-19 pandemic, celebrity chef Maggie Beer, 78, discovered solace in filming DIY cooking tutorials as a means to navigate the grief of losing her daughter Saskia, who passed away at the age of 46. Source: Maggie_beer/Instagram

This heartwarming act not only gave Maggie a sense of purpose during such a trying time but provided her with an outlet to honour Saskia's memory, as her love of cooking and dedication to the art of food were passions they both deeply cherished.

'Nothing helps you through the rawness. Nothing. But when you're doing something you love, that you can give to other people… It's about having a purpose, and that purpose has helped as much as it is possible to be helped,' she shared.

Maggie, who has another daughter, Elli, with her husband Colin Beer, also leaned on professional counselling and the unwavering support of her family to help her navigate the grieving process.

'No one wants to experience this. I badly needed help, and the help is to understand that you never get through grief, but it comes alongside you and you continue on with life, and eventually, you find joy again,' she said.

Saskia, a chef and entrepreneur, owned a free-range poultry farming business. Her passing was mourned by thousands, including famous chefs, school friends, market regulars, customers, and devoted fans who knew her from TV appearances. Maggie expressed gratitude for the overwhelming outpouring of sympathy and support she received from all over.

Fostering the Legacy of Saskia Beer: The Saskia Beer Churchill Fellowship​

In honour of Saskia Beer's memory, her family established the Saskia Beer Churchill Fellowship to empower young individuals with a passion for food and farming. This impactful project ensures that Saskia's legacy lives on as the next generation of food enthusiasts nurture their talents and make a difference.

Since its inception, the Fellowship has funded 50 scholarships and apprenticeships, while also providing invaluable mentorship and professional guidance to young individuals. Collaborating with farmers across Australia, the trust actively promotes sustainability and profitability within the farming industry.

Through the creation of the non profit organisation, Maggie Beer has beautifully ensured that her daughter's memory lives on while empowering the future generation of farmers and chefs. It serves as an inspiring example of transforming tragedy into something profoundly positive.

Key Takeaways
  • Maggie Beer, celebrity chef, shares how filming DIY cooking tutorials helped her navigate her grief after losing her daughter, Saskia, at the age of 46 during the Covid-19 pandemic.
  • Maggie turned to her kitchen as a place of comfort and began filming 'Cooking with Maggie' videos as a way to give back and find purpose during her time of grieving.
  • Apart from cooking, Maggie also relied on professional counselling and the support of her family to help her through this difficult time.
  • To honour Saskia's memory, Maggie's family has created the Saskia Beer Churchill Fellowship, which helps young people interested in food and farming to foster and develop their passion.
As life slowly starts to move forward, Maggie is set to make a guest appearance on the new season of 'The Great Australian Bake Off' after leaving the show last year. She remarked, 'Returning to the Bake Off set was a delight. The new team extended a warm welcome. It was exciting to see the talented contestants.'

Her return to 'The Great Australian Bake Off' set has been a shining testament to her strength and resilience, reinforcing that even in the face of adversity, it's possible to find purpose, hope, and, eventually, joy.

Members, we would love to hear your thoughts on the story. Has your own life been touched by similar experiences? Please share your thoughts and stories in the comments below. Your words may provide comfort and support to others who have gone through similar journeys.

Sponsored
I can not imagine what a loss of a child at any age feels like, it's been 3 years now since Saskia Beer died unexpectedly. I hope that Maggie and her family are coping and getting on with their lives.

Reactions: Gsr and Granny*Deb
I lost a brother in a car accident when he was 20, I was 23 at the time. The pain and grief I felt took a long time to recover from. I don’t think my mum ever fully recovered from his loss, my dad tried to be strong for mum but he always appeared to have lost some of his zest for life after the accident. Hubby and I also lost a much longed for grandson to stillbirth, even though we never really got to know him it took a long time to recover from his loss. Our son and his wife took years to come to terms with his loss, even though I have never lost a child watching such close relatives going through this loss has had a profound affect on my life.

Reactions: terri