Discover how this shopper always picks the perfect supermarket berries!

Most shoppers are on the lookout for new ways to save money and get the most bang for their buck, especially when it comes to produce. Because not only is it important that you don’t go over budget in your grocery shop, but you also want to make sure you get the best quality produce too.

Luckily, a shopper recently gave the world access to an awesome tip her husband uses to find the perfect berries at the supermarket.

The shopper, a woman named Meredith Alston, has more than 35,000 followers on social media. This is where she constantly shares her thrift shop finds, day-in-the-life videos, and other tips online.

This time, she took to social media to share the amazing ‘system’ her husband has to find high-quality fruit at the supermarket.

‘Whenever my husband buys berries, they last so much longer and taste so much better than the ones that I buy,’ she said in the clip she uploaded.

berries1.jpg
The woman shared the tip online. Credit: Suzy Hazelwood/Pexels

‘Am I the last to know about this or what?’ Meredith asked.

In the video, Meredith explained that her husband's secret was to flip the berry carton over to find which ones don't stick to the bottom – a piece of advice that sent a collective shock to internet users who saw the woman’s post.

Meredith also shared that her previous strategy was to look for berries that ‘don’t look mouldy or gross’ before she learned about her husband’s ‘whole system’.

Many social media users appreciated the tip, with one even saying that it was a ‘game changer’.

‘What…this is awesome,’ one commented.

berries2.jpg
The video also went viral with over 5 million views. Credit: naptown_thrifts/TikTok

‘I do that and also smell them. I get crazy looks, but if they don’t smell, then they don’t taste either,’ another wrote.

While one person inquired: ‘Do people not look for yucky ones?’ To which Meredith replied she used to be on the lookout for slimy-looking berries, but not stickiness.

‘Yep, this is the trick right here,’ one agreed.

‘I usually get the ones that look the best. I open the box, take a look, and shake it a little. People think I’m crazy,’ someone else responded.

Others said they knew about this tip, too.

‘Always flip them. You have to look for mould and bugs,’ one social media user wrote.

‘My husband works in an organic produce warehouse, and I can confirm this. He always knows what the greatest tips and tricks are,’ someone replied.

You can watch Meredith’s video below:

But some thought Meredith’s husband’s ‘pro-tip’ was ‘old news’.

‘Is this not a common sense thing?’ one person said.

‘Thought everyone does this,’ someone added.

While other internet users shared their own tricks to keep berries fresh and clean.

‘Wash them, dry them, and store them in mason jars in the fridge, and I promise you they won’t go bad before you have the time to eat them,’ someone suggested.

‘Soak them in a white vinegar and water bath for 10 minutes and rinse. They’ll last for ages because it kills any spores,’ one more advised.

To make a vinegar-water fruit wash, just put your berries in a bowl and add four cups of water and one cup of white vinegar. Give it a little mix and let the berries sit in the solution for 5 minutes.

Remove them and rinse them under cold water and repeat the process if you’ve got additional berries you’d like to clean.

Dry them all using a paper towel and then transfer them to an airtight container with paper towels at the bottom of the container to absorb water.
Key Takeaways
  • A social media user has shared a secret hack her husband uses to find the perfect berries at the supermarket, which went viral.
  • Meredith Alston's video received nearly five million views online, where she explains her husband's trick of flipping the berries over and buying those that don't stick to the bottom of the carton.
  • Many users were impressed by the hack, while others thought it was common sense.
  • People also shared their own tips for keeping berries fresh, such as vinegar solutions and storing them in Mason jars.
What about you, members? What are your tips and tricks for buying fresh berries? Do you have any other tips for storing them? Tell us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Most shoppers are on the lookout for new ways to save money and get the most bang for their buck, especially when it comes to produce. Because not only is it important that you don’t go over budget in your grocery shop, but you also want to make sure you get the best quality produce too.

Luckily, a shopper recently gave the world access to an awesome tip her husband uses to find the perfect berries at the supermarket.

The shopper, a woman named Meredith Alston, has more than 35,000 followers on social media. This is where she constantly shares her thrift shop finds, day-in-the-life videos, and other tips online.

This time, she took to social media to share the amazing ‘system’ her husband has to find high-quality fruit at the supermarket.

‘Whenever my husband buys berries, they last so much longer and taste so much better than the ones that I buy,’ she said in the clip she uploaded.

View attachment 19823

In the video, Meredith explained that her husband's secret was to flip the berry carton over to find which ones don't stick to the bottom – a piece of advice that sent a collective shock to internet users who saw the woman’s post.

Meredith also shared that her previous strategy was to look for berries that ‘don’t look mouldy or gross’ before she learned about her husband’s ‘whole system’.

Many social media users appreciated the tip, with one even saying that it was a ‘game changer’.

View attachment 19824
The video also went viral with over 5 million views. Credit: naptown_thrifts/TikTok

‘I do that and also smell them. I get crazy looks, but if they don’t smell, then they don’t taste either,’ another wrote.

While one person inquired: ‘Do people not look for yucky ones?’ To which Meredith replied she used to be on the lookout for slimy-looking berries, but not stickiness.

‘I usually get the ones that look the best. I open the box, take a look, and shake it a little. People think I’m crazy,’ someone else responded.

‘Always flip them. You have to look for mould and bugs,’ one social media user wrote.

‘My husband works in an organic produce warehouse, and I can confirm this. He always knows what the greatest tips and tricks are,’ someone replied.

While other internet users shared their own tricks to keep berries fresh and clean.

‘Wash them, dry them, and store them in mason jars in the fridge, and I promise you they won’t go bad before you have the time to eat them,’ someone suggested.

‘Soak them in a white vinegar and water bath for 10 minutes and rinse. They’ll last for ages because it kills any spores,’ one more advised.

To make a vinegar-water fruit wash, just put your berries in a bowl and add four cups of water and one cup of white vinegar. Give it a little mix and let the berries sit in the solution for 5 minutes.

Remove them and rinse them under cold water and repeat the process if you’ve got additional berries you’d like to clean.

Dry them all using a paper towel and then transfer them to an airtight container with paper towels at the bottom of the container to absorb water.
Key Takeaways

• A social media user has shared a secret hack her husband uses to find the perfect berries at the supermarket, which went viral.
  • Meredith Alston's video received nearly five million views online, where she explains her husband's trick of flipping the berries over and buying those that don't stick to the bottom of the carton.
  • Many users were impressed by the hack, while others thought it was common sense.
  • People also shared their own tips for keeping berries fresh, such as vinegar solutions and storing them in Mason jars.
What about you, members? What are your tips and tricks for buying fresh berries? Do you have any other tips for storing them? Tell us in the comments below!

I do exactly that. Always check under neath. Wash in vinegar, store on a paper towel keeping them apart in a container!

My husband loves Bluberries on his Cereal,however,I stopped buying the packets,as they got very expensive.I thought,got to be a way.I now buy,a large packet of frozen blueberries,line a sieve with paper towel,tip a couple scoops of berries in,put packet back in Freezer.Once berries in sieve thawed,I put them in a container and put them in the fridge.A kilo pack around $11.

View attachment 19823

View attachment 19824

Key Takeaways

Been doing this for years.

I have done the flip for years,,did it just before Christmas and surprise surprise ,,fur,,told the guy who was filling vegie shelves and we went through the lot and found 7 punnets ,,not good enough

I do not live far from a strawberry farm and bought a big container with super fresh strawberries , they keep them in the fridge and you just put the right money in the honesty box. Now 3 days later they look as fresh as harvested yesterday and the smell from the fridge is amazing , nothing like the supermarket strawberries. Yum!:D

Reactions: Zoya and Jennylolo
I do not live far from a strawberry farm and bought a big container with super fresh strawberries , they keep them in the fridge and you just put the right money in the honesty box. Now 3 days later they look as fresh as harvested yesterday and the smell from the fridge is amazing , nothing like the supermarket strawberries. Yum!:D
I agree! I grow blueberries, but the season has finished for mine. So, frozen blueberries for me. Frozen strawberries aren't nice imo.

View attachment 19823

View attachment 19824

Key Takeaways

More old news!!!!

Frozen blueberries are cheaper. I microwave 1/2 cup for 1 minute. Nice with porridge, now it's cooler weather.
How anybody can eat porridge is beyond me Weetbix & anything with oats in sits like a brick in my stomach. So I never eat them I don't even like the smell of porridge cooking so am lucky no one else eats it in my home.

How anybody can eat porridge is beyond me Weetbix & anything with oats in sits like a brick in my stomach. So I never eat them I don't even like the smell of porridge cooking so am lucky no one else eats it in my home.
Fair enough. I dislike Weet-bix. Thank goodness there's plenty other choices for breakfast.