Discover how these Aussie mums are saving thousands every year, even with rising costs of living

In the face of today's ever-increasing expenses, whether it be groceries, petrol, or even gym memberships, it can sometimes feel like you're fighting a losing battle when trying to save a little extra.

However, fear not! Six resourceful Aussie mums have shared their top tips on how to save thousands of dollars annually without drastic sacrifices.

These mums have managed to embrace a frugal lifestyle while retaining their love for health and fitness, and they're here to spill the beans on how these simple swaps and decisions have changed their lives.

Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 11.28.39 AM.png
These mums swear by markdowns, using promos and home workouts. Credit: Shutterstock.

First up is Nicole, a 33-year-old mum of three who has managed to save a whopping $1,800 over the past nine months simply by trading takeaway nights for homemade 'fakeaway' meals!

'Instead of ordering out every Saturday night, I love to make our own fakeaway meals like homemade burgers and pizzas,' she shared.

'I love making two-ingredient pizza dough, and when I'm short on time, I opt for pita pizzas.'

By eliminating this weekly expense and shopping smarter with ALDI and online research, Nicole has taken control of her grocery budget and brought new meaning to the phrase 'there's no place like home’.

Amy, 32, discovered that any money saved at the supermarket goes a long way when transferred to a savings account. Planning her meals with budget-friendly ingredients and sticking to a shopping list has allowed her to save an extra $1,000 already this year!

'I plan several meals that have the same ingredient, like beef mince, which is always great value for a bulk buy,' Amy stated.

She has also found that incorporating smoothies into her meal plan not only offers a healthy alternative to snacks but also proves to be a cost-effective choice.

Helen, a 55-year-old volunteer with NSW SES Flood Rescue, has developed a clever strategy to curb her impulsive grocery purchases. She has opted to shop exclusively online or utilise Click and Collect services.

By doing so, Helen effectively reduces her chances of making spontaneous purchases while ensuring a more disciplined approach to grocery shopping.

'I have $20 as an extra on my budget to purchase $20 worth of a great savings special, and I also bake at home,' Helen shared. By preparing bulk meals and creating a freezer stash, she has made significant savings in her day-to-day living.

Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 11.28.30 AM.png
Some save as much as $2,000 by swapping takeaways for fakeaways. Credit: Shutterstock.

Fi, a 34-year-old mum of two, swears by home workouts and the clever use of reusable clip-lock bags for multiple purposes. 'This saves us money and also the environment,' she said.

Fi has also joined the fakeaway movement, saving her family $2,000 a year by choosing home-cooked alternatives to their favourite takeaways. Going out for takeout can easily rack up a bill of $50 or more per week, so this has resulted in significant savings for the family.

Also, she has replaced her expensive gym membership with workout routines accessible through her phone for free (you can find workouts on YouTube).

Roxanne, a 28-year-old mum of two, is a dedicated discount code hunter, frequently saving $20 off her grocery shopping by applying promo codes.

'Another thing I do is look at what meat is on special, and our meals for the week are based on that,' she said. Roxanne also utilises a fuel track app, helping her locate the cheapest petrol stations in her area. If you receive our afternoon newsletters, you’ll already have access to this handy information!

Lastly, we have Hayley, a 29-year-old mum of three, who has become a master of buying items on sale or markdown.

'I also substitute ingredients in certain meals with other ingredients that I can get cheaper,' she revealed. Hayley prepares packed lunches and snacks for family outings and avoids dining out as much as possible.

She even opts to walk rather than drive, saving more money on fuel and staying active. 'I save on fuel, and I do something good for myself and our planet. It keeps my kids active as well! I try my best to save in every area I can,' she said.

'Doing this also gives the boys and I more opportunities to have a day out and get amongst nature and get some quality bonding time in.'

Key Takeaways

• Six everyday Australian mums shared tips on how to save thousands of dollars extra per year despite the rising cost of living.
  • Simple grocery, gym, and lifestyle swaps are helping these women save money without drastic sacrifices.
  • Some ideas include cooking 'fakeaway' meals, shopping online, buying discounted items, and working out at home.
  • The tips encourage embracing healthier and more environmentally friendly habits while saving money.

Learning from these budget-savvy mums' tips and tricks can help us stretch our dollars further, even amidst rising living costs. By adapting their strategies to our lifestyles, we too can enjoy a more frugal and enjoyable life.

Have you come across any of their tips that you found particularly beneficial? Did you notice any similarities between their saving strategies and your own? We welcome any additional suggestions and guidance you may have regarding money-saving methods. Feel free also to share your thoughts and recommendations in the comments section below!

Sponsored
I have pretty much been doing all of the above.
When I could I would do workouts from YouTube.

I love shopping on line and try to set a budget and at checkout if I'm too over budget I will remove items that I really don't need. Also shopping on line you get to see all the specials and half price items.

Takeaway is what is costing people huge amounts each year . Home cooking is so much better.

I have previously put up great recipes for The easiest best pizza , a recipe for kfc and substitute takeaway recipes including great Chinese recipes

It only takes a little common sense to save money.

I would take a picnic any day to eating in a restaurant

Takeaway for me is also a break from cooking and cleaning up. Fish and chips is the cheapest and we have a great shop nearby which we walk to. Also we’ve gone to fortnightly instead of weekly. My husband and I have embarked on a year of healthy eating and exercise. We’re seeing the scales going down and we still have a little treat now and then. Our biggest changes have been to have our main meal at lunch (choosing healthy) and very little at night, have doubled our walking, and eating low sugar things with a cuppa. Already my cholesterol has gone down and the lymphoma in my legs has gone. Working on getting the blood pressure to drop. Very satisfying.

These women aren't doing anything unusual! This is how we lived when they were kids, everything was cooked at home and takeaways were only on rare occasions.

On another note, since when are we saying TAKEOUT????? This is Australia and the word is TAKEAWAY!!!!!

These women aren't doing anything unusual! This is how we lived when they were kids, everything was cooked at home and takeaways were only on rare occasions.

On another note, since when are we saying TAKEOUT????? This is Australia and the word is TAKEAWAY!!!!!
I’m so pleased to see someone commenting on “take out”. I bugs me how so many use American speech. I correct my grand daughters when ever they use American words reminding them this is Australia.

Reactions: Leanne D and Trudi
I do love it when things like this are posted, it isn't anything new, my mother taught me that there are many ways to save money or make it go further. However it is always good information, sadly however you are posting in Senior Discount Club and many of us have been doing this for years. There is one thing however that wasn't mentioned, when cleaning products that you use are on special, getting two instead of one starts to build up your supply. Building up your supply of tin foods even food for the animals so when you have extra money going out on the bills you know you have food in your cupboards so you might only need to get the basics. Lots you can do really to save money.

I have pretty much been doing all of the above.
When I could I would do workouts from YouTube.

I love shopping on line and try to set a budget and at checkout if I'm too over budget I will remove items that I really don't need. Also shopping on line you get to see all the specials and half price items.

Takeaway is what is costing people huge amounts each year . Home cooking is so much better.

I have previously put up great recipes for The easiest best pizza , a recipe for kfc and substitute takeaway recipes including great Chinese recipes

It only takes a little common sense to save money.

I would take a picnic any day to eating in a restaurant
I'm with you there Suzanne for home cooking, your recipes and the Picnic!:)

Reactions: RTS
I do love it when things like this are posted, it isn't anything new, my mother taught me that there are many ways to save money or make it go further. However it is always good information, sadly however you are posting in Senior Discount Club and many of us have been doing this for years. There is one thing however that wasn't mentioned, when cleaning products that you use are on special, getting two instead of one starts to build up your supply. Building up your supply of tin foods even food for the animals so when you have extra money going out on the bills you know you have food in your cupboards so you might only need to get the basics. Lots you can do really to save money.
Brought up exactly the same. Married at 19 and bought our first house - a small one bedroom flat. Money became tighter when our first Son arrived but we got pretty good at stretching what we had. The only takeaway then was fish and chips, and they were a very rare treat. There were no trendy cafes for Mummys to meet in then. Home cooked meals and baked goods were the go. 50 years and another 2 Sons later, we have owned a further 8 houses along the way in two countries, and are now retired. Now our modest retirement fund is under pressure from price increases across the board, so back to the old ways of budgeting and we will manage. 👍