Discontinued Aussie snacks we want back!

Have you ever craved something you enjoyed in the past, only to find that they are no longer available? You are not alone – we, too, have often sought items only to be disappointed that they were already discontinued.

Beloved snacks and lollies disappearing is not a rare occurrence. Every year, distributors pull stock from grocery shelves for various reasons, including health concerns and disappointing sales. And when food items are withdrawn, it is usually done silently, leaving us sad (heartbroken even) and wishing we bought enough supplies while they lasted.

We don’t have to go years back to cite an example. Last August, Nariman Dein, a Sydney-based content creator on the popular social media app TikTok, expressed frustration in being unable to find Starburst lollies anywhere. She searched Big W, Coles, and Woolies to no avail. ‘Is there a conspiracy theory – did they just stop selling them and no one realised?’ she asked.

The viral clip eventually reached Mars Wrigley, the confectionary giant behind Starburst. The company confirmed the suspicion: the lollies were discontinued in Australia.

In a statement made through ABC News, the company said: ‘Our Starburst products are imported from Europe and, like many businesses that are importing products from overseas, the brand has been exposed to supply chain difficulties and rising cost pressures over the last two years. After reviewing all options, we've made the difficult decision to discontinue the brand in Australia from June 2022.’

Starburst lollies are one item now added to the list of discontinued items that Aussies will miss. Today, we’ll take a trip down memory lane – here are other items we would love to have again:

Blackcurrant Mini Wheats

blackcurrant.png
The whole grain cereal was removed from stores in 2014. Credit: hungrybugs

Kellogg's cereal was a staple for many households until it was discontinued eight years ago, only to be replaced by less healthy, sugar-laden options. Brekkie has never been the same since with many Aussies flocking to Facebook and Change.org to bring back the low-sugar boxes.

‘The world has suffered without them for too long!’ one Aussie said on the petition platform.

Aussies on the social news website Reddit expressed similar sentiments.

‘It honestly feels like a sad tragedy that I'll never taste them ever again. I even ate them straight from the box when I was a kid. I remember they would only come in the tiniest boxes and mum would never buy multiple as they were rather expensive even back then. I would devour a whole box in a few days,’ one said.

‘It's crazy how deeply sad I feel about something so trivial but I've literally never found a similar alternative.’

Another said: ‘Literally have younger people at my workplace look at me like I'm psychotic while I rave about how good Blackcurrant Mini Wheats were. I wish I knew they were going away so I could have stockpiled hundreds of boxes. Not exaggerating when I say I'd willingly pay over $10 per box if they reintroduced them.’

Space Food Sticks

Ever wondered what astronaut food tastes like? For decades, Aussies didn’t have to wonder – through Space Food Sticks, they had a bite of ‘non-frozen balanced energy snack in rod form containing nutritionally balanced amounts of carbohydrate, fat and protein’. Introduced in Australia back in 1971, the sticks were removed from the market in 2014. They briefly reappeared in 2019 in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the moon landing but have not been seen in Australian stores since.

Space-Food-Sticks-1975-920x1143.jpg
Pillsbury capitalised on the Apollo landing and sold ‘space snacks’ in North America and Australia. Credit: Australian Food Timeline

Some Aussies were unaware that they were no longer available in the country. One Redditor said: ‘They discontinued space food sticks? F**k this. Citizenship renounced.’

Another Aussie commented: ‘They need to make a comeback, [they] have crossed my mind a few times recently, there is nothing quite like them.’

Original Milo Bars

Okay, this item is different because you can still find Milo bars in supermarkets. However, Nestle changed the recipe: the Energy version was launched in 2003, replacing the pure Milo and chocolate combination. Many Aussies (including us) believe it just doesn’t live up to the original, even almost two decades later.

The ‘superior’ Milo bar made Aussies reminisce on Reddit. One comment said: ‘They were the best. Not the ones with the little crispy milo balls mixed with a fake Boost bar, the OG one that was hard compacted Milo surrounded by chocolate.’

Another commenter felt similarly: ‘These were all the best things about eating milo right out of the tin but wrapped in chocolate. A part of me died when they stopped making these.’

Even though it’s possible to recreate the treats if you have the time – here is one example of a chef making DIY Milo bars in ice cube trays – we still hope that Nestlé will bring back the popular treat.

untitled-design-50.jpg
Aussies have been creative in recreating the national favourite. Credit: New Idea

Quatro Biscuits

C21QIh7UUAI5eJJ.jpg
The biscuits were often considered among the best in Oz. Credit: Jemima Skelley

Imagine a gooey chocolate-covered delight packing caramel and nuts – salivating yet? Quatro was arguably one of the best Aussie biscuits around, maybe only second to the humble Tim Tam. They were a mainstay in many homes and lunch boxes, and were expected to run out quickly because they were just that good! However, the blue packs were discontinued by Arnott’s in 2010, to many people’s dismay.

‘Those things were my entire childhood. I don’t know if I remember the taste being so d**n good because of nostalgia, but what I would do for a packet of those today,’ a Redditor said.

Another Aussie commented: ‘God I miss those sooo much. What an absolute God of a biscuit.’

Sunnyboy Ice Blocks

sunnyboy1.jpg
Sunnyboy Ice Blocks were messy to eat but enjoyable nonetheless. Credit: SmoothFM

Generations of Australians enjoyed the ice blocks in tetra-pak packaging, with parents wanting to pass on the Sunnyboy experience to their children. However, the tuck shop favourite was no more in 2016, when manufacturer The Daily Drinks Co. announced they were discontinuing the product after a reduction in demand through the years.

Many took it to Twitter back then to mourn the end of an era. ‘R.I.P #SunnyBoy summer won't be the same without ya,’ one Aussie said.

Another lamented: ‘Sunnyboys are being discontinued... my last one was a good decade back. This still makes me sad!’

In May of this year, fans of the ice block became excited when a viral video claimed that the cult favourite was restocked. However, Woolworths quickly debunked the rumour, saying that Sunnyboys are not sold in their stores or online.

Are there any iconic Aussie snacks that you just can’t take off your mind despite being discontinued for years? We’d love to know your favourites!

Sponsored
We had the equivalent of the Sunnyboys in England when I was growing up. They were also in a tetra pak & called Jubillees. We would continue eating them behind our desk lids during class!

Reactions: Ricci
What happened to Vanilla Nougat with that lovely dark chocolate coating.
And Pollywaffles, I thought I heard some time back that they were being returned - still waiting.
Also remember a lovely creamy icypole with pieces of 🍌 .

Reactions: amandastan