Died Pretty frontman Ron S Peno and top epidemiologist Mary-Louise McLaws pass away

With a heavy heart, we announce the passing of legendary Australian alternative rock singer and songwriter Ron S Peno, frontman of Died Pretty, at 68 years old.

The news comes after nearly a five-year battle with oesophageal cancer, one that he valiantly fought with 'a resolute positivity and a profound depth of character' as mentioned in an official statement posted by the members of Died Pretty on their Facebook page.

Peno was with his wife Charity and son Zebadiah when he passed away at his home in South Yarra, Melbourne, last Friday, August 11.

Died Pretty’s statement, titled 'WITH GREAT SADNESS', expounded on Peno’s legacy.

compressed-366318946_786803080115884_2182893035133516401_n.jpeg
Peno was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer in 2019. Image Credit: Facebook/Died Pretty

'For the 40 years Ron entertained us as Died Pretty's frontman, he was never less than always charismatic. He has provided warm and enduring memories for those who shared the stage with him and for his audience.’

‘For many, he is the soundtrack of their lives. He leaves us a legacy of extraordinary recordings that will continue to be treasured into the future,' it said.

The band also extended their deep gratitude to the people who cared for Peno and to everyone who donated to him and sent messages of love during his time of need.

Born in Gosford, NSW, Peno was early on in the music scene. In the early 80s, he was a part of punk bands The Hellcats, the 31st, and Screaming Tribesmen.

He later found fame as the frontman of the iconic Died Pretty, which experienced its most tremendous success in 1993 with the release of their fifth album Trace and its charting top 40 single ‘Harness Up’.

Source: YouTube/stereomusicvideo

The band had planned to make a live comeback with a tour booked for October this year.

Died Pretty reformed in 2016 and toured regularly.

Due to Peno’s ongoing cancer treatment and drummer Chris Welsh’s lung cancer diagnosis, those plans were cancelled last July.

Although it’s a tragic time for Aussie music lovers, we’ll always be grateful for the immense talent Peno has given us, and his incredible voice in many of our favourite songs will live on in our hearts forever.

In related news, the nation is also mourning the loss of Professor Mary-Louise McLaws, a respected epidemiologist and one of Australia’s significant figures during the COVID-19 pandemic, who died at 70.

Throughout the pandemic, Professor McLaws was frequently on our television screens, providing invaluable advice to Australians. She even worked for a major advisory panel with the World Health Organisation, capping a long and distinguished career of limiting the spread of dangerous diseases.

compressed-Screenshot_1.jpeg
Professor McLaws is regarded as a ‘guiding light’ of the country during the worst of the COVID pandemic. Image Credit: YouTube/Pathology Technology Australia

Professor McLaws devotedly urged Australians to abide by the necessary restrictions and health guidelines during the pandemic.

She would not be swayed from her guiding principles in supporting the latest science, notably when she once called out the government for lacking swift enforcement of rapid antigen tests in the early days of COVID-19.

Just before she was named an Officer of the Order of Australia in the Queen’s Birthday honours list, she revealed she had been diagnosed with a brain tumour in January 2022.

‘I was so tired,’ she said of her official diagnosis.

‘The next day, my husband knew that I was really unwell. Thank God he’s the perfect husband, and he rang the ambulance because I couldn’t make any sense out of any question.’

The results came in via a doctor after a trip to a Sydney hospital and an MRI scan.

‘I said, “Oh my God, I’ve got brain cancer,” and (the doctor) nodded.’

Her husband, Richard Flook, officially shared the news on Sunday, August 13, and said they would plan her funeral service at Emmanuel Synagogue in the next few days.

He said she had been 'so well cared for by the nurses and doctors at Wolper Hospital in Woollahra and had enjoyed the visits of her many friends, who have been so supportive of her and our family’.

After her diagnosis, she took sick leave from both UNSW and the WHO, and during her time of need, she received an incredible outpouring of love and support from the public.

She supported Carrie Bickmore’s Beanies 4 Brain Cancer initiative, which was organised to raise donations for research on brain tumours.

Source: YouTube/ABC News

When talking to ABC News, she expressed her gratitude for the help she had received.

'Now all of a sudden, the Australian community’s caring for me,' she said, adding: 'I have been very fortunate to be well-organised by doctors and nurses.'

Despite all her achievements, however, she remained incredibly humble.

'I assume that I will die,' she stated.

'I don’t know when. And I’m just enjoying life and friends, and I think that’s what you must do.'

Friends and colleagues expressed their regret over the tragic news, profound admiration for her, and heartfelt sympathy for her family.

Professor McLaws is survived by children Zachary and Zia and her husband.

Throughout her professional life, McLaws tremendously impacted medical research, particularly in epidemiology and infection prevention. Her legacy will last long after her passing, for her values of reason and information, her devotion to her students and colleagues, and her unwavering commitment to doing the right thing for the Australian public.

May we all remember Professor McLaws and all her guidance during the pandemic and appreciate her contributions to medicine, science and our nation.

Key Takeaways

• Ron S Peno, frontman of Australian alternative rock band Died Pretty, has died after a lengthy battle with oesophageal cancer.
  • Died Pretty had their peak commercial success in 1993 with their fifth album Trace, which included a top 40 single.
  • Peno's last round of cancer treatment and drummer Chris Welsh's diagnosis with lung cancer led to the cancellation of the band's planned comeback tour in October this year.
  • Renowned epidemiologist Mary-Louise McLaws, who provided crucial advice during the COVID-19 pandemic, passed away at 70.
  • Professor McLaws had a distinguished career in controlling the spread of diseases and was recognised for her contributions with an Officer of the Order of Australia.
  • Diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2022, she publicly announced her condition and sought to raise awareness for brain tumour research.
  • Numerous tributes have poured in from Australians grateful for Prof McLaws' calm and practical advice during the pandemic, lauding her as a voice of reason.
Rest in peace, Ron S Peno and Professor Mary-Louise McLaws. Our thoughts and prayers are with your families at this difficult time.

Sponsored
Was devastated when I heard the news of Ron S. Peno passing. Cherish every Died Pretty & Superstitions Gig I attended over many years, every Album, E.P. & Single. Australia's Greatest ever Frontman & Singer. R.I.P. Ron, greatly missed. Also R.I.P. to another Great in Louis Tillett (ex. Wet Taxis, Paris Green, Solo).

Reactions: Veggiepatch
With a heavy heart, we announce the passing of legendary Australian alternative rock singer and songwriter Ron S Peno, frontman of Died Pretty, at 68 years old.

The news comes after nearly a five-year battle with oesophageal cancer, one that he valiantly fought with 'a resolute positivity and a profound depth of character' as mentioned in an official statement posted by the members of Died Pretty on their Facebook page.

Peno was with his wife Charity and son Zebadiah when he passed away at his home in South Yarra, Melbourne, last Friday, August 11.

Died Pretty’s statement, titled 'WITH GREAT SADNESS', expounded on Peno’s legacy.

View attachment 27387
Peno was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer in 2019. Image Credit: Facebook/Died Pretty

'For the 40 years Ron entertained us as Died Pretty's frontman, he was never less than always charismatic. He has provided warm and enduring memories for those who shared the stage with him and for his audience.’

‘For many, he is the soundtrack of their lives. He leaves us a legacy of extraordinary recordings that will continue to be treasured into the future,' it said.

The band also extended their deep gratitude to the people who cared for Peno and to everyone who donated to him and sent messages of love during his time of need.

Born in Gosford, NSW, Peno was early on in the music scene. In the early 80s, he was a part of punk bands The Hellcats, the 31st, and Screaming Tribesmen.

He later found fame as the frontman of the iconic Died Pretty, which experienced its most tremendous success in 1993 with the release of their fifth album Trace and its charting top 40 single ‘Harness Up’.

The band had planned to make a live comeback with a tour booked for October this year.

Due to Peno’s ongoing cancer treatment and drummer Chris Welsh’s lung cancer diagnosis, those plans were cancelled last July.

Although it’s a tragic time for Aussie music lovers, we’ll always be grateful for the immense talent Peno has given us, and his incredible voice in many of our favourite songs will live on in our hearts forever.

In related news, the nation is also mourning the loss of Professor Mary-Louise McLaws, a respected epidemiologist and one of Australia’s significant figures during the COVID-19 pandemic, who died at 70.

Throughout the pandemic, Professor McLaws was frequently on our television screens, providing invaluable advice to Australians. She even worked for a major advisory panel with the World Health Organisation, capping a long and distinguished career of limiting the spread of dangerous diseases.

View attachment 27388
Professor McLaws is regarded as a ‘guiding light’ of the country during the worst of the COVID pandemic. Image Credit: YouTube/Pathology Technology Australia

Professor McLaws devotedly urged Australians to abide by the necessary restrictions and health guidelines during the pandemic.

She would not be swayed from her guiding principles in supporting the latest science, notably when she once called out the government for lacking swift enforcement of rapid antigen tests in the early days of COVID-19.

Just before she was named an Officer of the Order of Australia in the Queen’s Birthday honours list, she revealed she had been diagnosed with a brain tumour in January 2022.

‘The next day, my husband knew that I was really unwell. Thank God he’s the perfect husband, and he rang the ambulance because I couldn’t make any sense out of any question.’

The results came in via a doctor after a trip to a Sydney hospital and an MRI scan.

Her husband, Richard Flook, officially shared the news on Sunday, August 13, and said they would plan her funeral service at Emmanuel Synagogue in the next few days.

He said she had been 'so well cared for by the nurses and doctors at Wolper Hospital in Woollahra and had enjoyed the visits of her many friends, who have been so supportive of her and our family’.

After her diagnosis, she took sick leave from both UNSW and the WHO, and during her time of need, she received an incredible outpouring of love and support from the public.

She supported Carrie Bickmore’s Beanies 4 Brain Cancer initiative, which was organised to raise donations for research on brain tumours.

When talking to ABC News, she expressed her gratitude for the help she had received.

'Now all of a sudden, the Australian community’s caring for me,' she said, adding: 'I have been very fortunate to be well-organised by doctors and nurses.'

'I don’t know when. And I’m just enjoying life and friends, and I think that’s what you must do.'

Friends and colleagues expressed their regret over the tragic news, profound admiration for her, and heartfelt sympathy for her family.

Throughout her professional life, McLaws tremendously impacted medical research, particularly in epidemiology and infection prevention. Her legacy will last long after her passing, for her values of reason and information, her devotion to her students and colleagues, and her unwavering commitment to doing the right thing for the Australian public.

May we all remember Professor McLaws and all her guidance during the pandemic and appreciate her contributions to medicine, science and our nation.

Key Takeaways

• Ron S Peno, frontman of Australian alternative rock band Died Pretty, has died after a lengthy battle with oesophageal cancer.
  • Died Pretty had their peak commercial success in 1993 with their fifth album Trace, which included a top 40 single.
  • Peno's last round of cancer treatment and drummer Chris Welsh's diagnosis with lung cancer led to the cancellation of the band's planned comeback tour in October this year.
  • Renowned epidemiologist Mary-Louise McLaws, who provided crucial advice during the COVID-19 pandemic, passed away at 70.
  • Professor McLaws had a distinguished career in controlling the spread of diseases and was recognised for her contributions with an Officer of the Order of Australia.
  • Diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2022, she publicly announced her condition and sought to raise awareness for brain tumour research.
  • Numerous tributes have poured in from Australians grateful for Prof McLaws' calm and practical advice during the pandemic, lauding her as a voice of reason.
Rest in peace, Ron S Peno and Professor Mary-Louise McLaws. Our thoughts and prayers are with your families at this difficult time.

Rest in peace Ron

Sad that both have passed away so young and both from cancer.

I have never heard of Ron Peno I'm guessing it's because I wasn't into Alternative Rock.

I did know of Professor McLaws and know she had done alot especially through Covid. She was one of my nephews lecturers at university of NSW and he had nothing but praise for her.

RIP to both of these people who have touched many lives in different ways 🙏

Reactions: TheBear

View attachment 27387

View attachment 27388

Key Takeaways

It is a great pity that our LNP politicians were too stupid to listen to scientific advice from Prof McLaws about Covid-19.and that the anti-vaxxers ranted on so violently in public about any measures to restrict the spread of the virus.

About 12 million Australians have had the virus as a result of political incompetence and classic Australian selfish ignorance, and of these between 1 in 3 to 1 in 10 are suffering the physical and mental misery of Long-covid, a seriously debilitating condition that so far can last for as long as the virus has been discovered . Of course, our politicians don't give a damn about such people, as the "pandemic is over" as declared officially on December 15th 2020 when the then LNP Premier of Tasmania allowed the virus to enter the State on behalf of the tourist industry and the Ashes cricket match in Hobart.

And no, Covid-19 ain't just a cough and a sneeze suffered only by the elderly. That was a furphy promulgated by Murphy.

It is a great pity that our LNP politicians were too stupid to listen to scientific advice from Prof McLaws about Covid-19.and that the anti-vaxxers ranted on so violently in public about any measures to restrict the spread of the virus.

About 12 million Australians have had the virus as a result of political incompetence and classic Australian selfish ignorance, and of these between 1 in 3 to 1 in 10 are suffering the physical and mental misery of Long-covid, a seriously debilitating condition that so far can last for as long as the virus has been discovered . Of course, our politicians don't give a damn about such people, as the "pandemic is over" as declared officially on December 15th 2020 when the then LNP Premier of Tasmania allowed the virus to enter the State on behalf of the tourist industry and the Ashes cricket match in Hobart.

And no, Covid-19 ain't just a cough and a sneeze suffered only by the elderly. That was a furphy promulgated by Murphy.
Well Ro44 have to agree with you on this one. I have had three shots and started feeling sick soon after the first one, worst after the second and terrible after the third (The booster). Most sadly is that I still got the Covid 19 after the three shots and I haven't been well ever since. But I was forced to take at least the first two shots as we were told that without the shots we were to be stay locked up into the house. A BLOODY TERRIBLE DECICION AND ADVISE BY THE SCIENTIST TO OUR DUMB POLITICIANS.
I have asked my GP on several occasion if I have long Covid because my niece in the USA told me so and my doctor never believed in the long Covid. It was coincidental that I have been sent to a Cardiologist due the constant shortness of breath that he did some tests and he told me that my heart is excellent but that it is all caused by the Long Covid with the fogginess in my head. the tiredness and the constant aches and pain which tablets do not help. He then wrote to my GP telling him of his findings and guess what my GP still does not believe that the Long Covid is around and that I am not suffering from it.
I stronlgly belive that GP's have been gagged by our Government and the AMA who does not want to bear the consequneces of possible litigations and court Cases due to their poor decision making a patient suffering.

Well Ro44 have to agree with you on this one. I have had three shots and started feeling sick soon after the first one, worst after the second and terrible after the third (The booster). Most sadly is that I still got the Covid 19 after the three shots and I haven't been well ever since. But I was forced to take at least the first two shots as we were told that without the shots we were to be stay locked up into the house. A BLOODY TERRIBLE DECICION AND ADVISE BY THE SCIENTIST TO OUR DUMB POLITICIANS.
I have asked my GP on several occasion if I have long Covid because my niece in the USA told me so and my doctor never believed in the long Covid. It was coincidental that I have been sent to a Cardiologist due the constant shortness of breath that he did some tests and he told me that my heart is excellent but that it is all caused by the Long Covid with the fogginess in my head. the tiredness and the constant aches and pain which tablets do not help. He then wrote to my GP telling him of his findings and guess what my GP still does not believe that the Long Covid is around and that I am not suffering from it.
I stronlgly belive that GP's have been gagged by our Government and the AMA who does not want to bear the consequneces of possible litigations and court Cases due to their poor decision making a patient suffering.
I'm all for vacination and have had 2 Vax plus 3 boosters and I'm starting to think it was a big mistake, I've pretty much have had asthma since as has my daughter.
I've had covid twice.

Reactions: Kelpie

I am very sorry to hear of your problems. As far as GPs are concerned there are no doubt some who are stupid and so I consider that there is no need for a governement to conspire to arrange that. What is annoying is that our government is too lazy to consider providing fianancial and work-place assistance to those suffering from Long-covid, which is certainly very real. There should be a disability support pension available for that condition.

As for vaccinations; there is always a risk from any vaccination; some pepole seem to react far worse than others to vaccinations and again I am sorry that your experience has been far worse than mine. I hope, sincerely, that you recover from Long-covid. Good luck.

I'm all for vacination and have had 2 Vax plus 3 boosters and I'm starting to think it was a big mistake, I've pretty much have had asthma since as has my daughter.
I've had covid twice.
One possibility is Alpha 1 Anti-trypsin Deficiency Disorder. It's a genetic issue that one is born with and over time leads to deterioration with age of one's lungs (emphysema) in response to inflammation caused by anything that leads to inflammation. I believe it was recognised first in the early 1990s. It doesn't necessarily prevent a very active life until around 60-70 years old if one has had clean air to breathe and doesn't smoke. But Covid-19 could well be fatal to those who have the condition, irrespective of age.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I've had covid twice.
As I said previosuly, it appears that not many of us, if not all of us have had an interaction with the vaccines we have been forced to get/receive. What tops it all off is the fact that most of us if not all of us have since got Covid 19 as well. Obviously big Pharma and Governments have joined together and made us do it even though there were no guarantees that the vaccine would stop us from getting the Covid. In the meantime big pharma has been making an absolute motza and they are still pushing it unto us.

I am very sorry to hear of your problems. As far as GPs are concerned there are no doubt some who are stupid and so I consider that there is no need for a governement to conspire to arrange that. What is annoying is that our government is too lazy to consider providing fianancial and work-place assistance to those suffering from Long-covid, which is certainly very real. There should be a disability support pension available for that condition.

As for vaccinations; there is always a risk from any vaccination; some pepole seem to react far worse than others to vaccinations and again I am sorry that your experience has been far worse than mine. I hope, sincerely, that you recover from Long-covid. Good luck.
Thanks mate. Much appreciated although after talking to the specialist who told me what I had and has done a lot of studies into it, he didn't offer much help nor could he tell me for how long this terrible problem will last. As for my pain he told me that there is nothing much he could do because he found out that painkillers do not work in more cases than not. In a few words he told me that I have to green and bear it.
But I do agree with you that the Government should do something about offering support to the people suffering from Long Covid. A personal friend of mine and his wife have been severely disabled from the vaccines and there are days that he and she cannot go to work due to the constant suffering and pain let alone the weaknesses they suffer from and there will be a day that their employer will say enough is enough.

I had my 1st dose of Covid between my 1st & 2nd initial vax’s (no side effects except a sore arm at site & with the 1st, a headache for 12 hrs) which was a mild flu type illness for 24-48 hrs.
I had my 1st Booster & 2nd Booster with no I’ll effects & then just before my 3rd Booster before last Christmas I had my 2nd more severe flu/bronchitis type Covid illness over 7-10 days.
This 2nd illness really knocked me for 6. My husband had it both times but not as bad the 2nd time.
He’d been vaccinated the same as me. Thankfully we’ve both been able to receive our 3rd & final Booster as well as our yearly Flu shots & touch wood, we’ll keep well until next year’s combined Flu/Covid vax’s.
We’re both health challenged at 65 & 72 so we were recommended to have 3rd Booster as I’m particularly susceptible to picking up anything by just being near someone who’s ill for a few hours, but not necessarily Covid, just a cold can become Bronchitis & put me on bed rest me for weeks.
I’m on immune suppressant meds for Psoriatic Arthritis, a bit Rheumatoid & Osteo types which reduces my immunity.
I usually say you can pick your friends but not your genes, having both types of Arthritis in my family.
I was also a Reg. Nurse of over 40+ years of experience but thankfully dropped my career just prior to Covid or I may not have may not have been so lucky with the illnesses I did have.
I’ve been having annual flu shots ever since being diagnosed with the Arthritis at 30 years old & have never had the flu itself.
I’ve had temps when I’ve been unwell with Bronchitis only.
I don’t think either of us suffers from long Covid effects, just older age forgetfulness & lack of energy that comes from our chronic illnesses.
I tend to still wear the N95 masks when I go into crowded places, shopping centres & medical centres as people can’t be trusted to stay home or wear a mask if unwell in any way.
I’ve actually heard people say “I’ve been unwell with a respiratory illness but if I don’t test myself I won’t know if it’s Covid.
I find this a rather selfish way to manage an illness in public. Stay home or wear a proper mask if you’re out as there are a lot of people with chronic illnesses in the community!

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Thanks mate. Much appreciated although after talking to the specialist who told me what I had and has done a lot of studies into it, he didn't offer much help nor could he tell me for how long this terrible problem will last. As for my pain he told me that there is nothing much he could do because he found out that painkillers do not work in more cases than not. In a few words he told me that I have to green and bear it.
But I do agree with you that the Government should do something about offering support to the people suffering from Long Covid. A personal friend of mine and his wife have been severely disabled from the vaccines and there are days that he and she cannot go to work due to the constant suffering and pain let alone the weaknesses they suffer from and there will be a day that their employer will say enough is enough.
I am really sorry to hear about such troubles. The Covid vaccine that I have read about may not prevent infection but apparently lessens its impact. I have had all five shots and no side effects. Likewise members of my family. 4 members of my family have had Covid, 2 of them vaccinated before hand and to them it was like a mild flu ; the other two caught it before the vaccine was available, had it twice and both were very bad for around 4 weeks but recovered without Long-covid setting in. So it seems very much the luck of the draw and makes me wonder about human genetics and possible pre-dispositions towards long term problems afterwards. I have had glandular fever twice and after the second one the after effects lingered for about 5 years. I believe there is a vaccine for glandular fever these days.

I don't go for conspiracy theories. I recognise that the NSW government of the day was too stupid to ensure adequate quarantine facilities at ports of entry to NSW and unleashed Covid-19 on Australia as a result.

As for scientific research intoC19, the first two years ofthe pademic saw about 1 million research papers published, including the aerodynamics of facemasks and ariflow from sneezes, and a lot of this work, including into Long Covid, is avaible in easily readable summaries through the free web-site SciTech Daily.

Targin and Endone are both effective pain killers for some things but need a prescription. They are more powerful than Paracetamol.

With sincere best wishes for your recovery.

There definitely is a thing called long covid.
My friends son who is a police officer and never took aday of work, has now been off work for 6 months due to pain and bad fatigue .
I haven't got my taste or smell back since my first bout of Covid in December 2021.
I had finished my first 2 vacations in the beginning of October 2021. I still had it bad for two weeks. Loss both smell and taste ,I probably have 30 % back.
The people in my house who were not vaxed including hubby didn't get it.

I had it again Jan this year Was pretty sick for 3 days , then completely better , hubby had been vacinated for 4 months and this time caught it. He was very ill . Severe body ache, coughing, headache and fever of 39 at times 40 for about 5 days.

My daughter is a nurse and works in the operating room, She has has 2 shots as have most doctors she works with. They all refuse the boosters because they know what what they can do.

My 18 year old who has bad asthma but had it under control since having the booster shots can't get her asthma under control and has has a few hospital admissions , the last one which was a month ago the doctor asked us if anything brought it on, I replied yes, we believe it's from the booster shots as her asthma has not been better since then. He looked at the nurses and all their expressions said it all. He never said a thing , he never denied it or admitted it.

She had covid the end of may this year after catching it from a patient she was looking after in hospital while on Uni placement. I have to say Bankstown hospital was full of covid patients and this was only end of may this year.

I think face mask should still be mandatory especially in crowded places.

I'm not sure which state you are in but St Vincent's hospital in Sydney have a clinic for long covid

Apropos Long-Covid. From an article in ScTech Daily, reporting research from Pennsylvania State University, USA ( Penn State University October 14th, 2021). The stats are that 1 in 2 non-vaccinated people from a data set of a quarter million people who have caught C19 suffer from some form of Long-Covid. Any GP who refuses to accept this is a fool, but remember, most medical doctors are NOT scientists trained to think scientifically at Medical School. They need to have done a PhD for that.

"The researchers conducted a systematic review of 57 reports that included data from 250,351 unvaccinated adults and children who were diagnosed with COVID-19 from December 2019 through March 2021. Among those studied, 79% were hospitalized, and most patients (79%) lived in high-income countries. Patients’ median age was 54, and the majority of individuals (56%) were male.

The researchers analyzed patients’ health post-COVID during three intervals at one month (short-term), two to five months (intermediate-term) and six or more months (long-term).

According to the findings, survivors experienced an array of residual health issues associated with COVID-19. Generally, these complications affected a patient’s general well-being, their mobility or organ systems. Overall, one in two survivors experienced long-term COVID manifestations. The rates remained largely constant from one month through six or more months after their initial illness.

The investigators noted several trends among survivors, such as:

• General well-being: More than half of all patients reported weight loss, fatigue, fever or pain.
  • Mobility: Roughly one in five survivors experienced a decrease in mobility.
  • Neurologic concerns: Nearly one in four survivors experienced difficulty concentrating.
  • Mental health disorders: Nearly one in three patients were diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorders.
  • Lung abnormalities: Six in ten survivors had chest imaging abnormality and more than a quarter of patients had difficulty breathing.
  • Cardiovascular issues: Chest pain and palpitations were among the commonly reported conditions.
  • Skin conditions: Nearly one in five patients experienced hair loss or rashes.
  • Digestive issues: Stomach pain, lack of appetite, diarrhea and vomiting were among the commonly reported conditions.
“These findings confirm what many health care workers and COVID-19 survivors have been claiming, namely, that adverse health effects from COVID-19 can linger,” said co-lead investigator Vernon Chinchilli, chair of the Department of Public Health Sciences. “Although previous studies have examined the prevalence of long COVID symptoms among patients, this study examined a larger population, including people in high-, middle- and low-income countries, and examined many more symptoms. Therefore, we believe our findings are quite robust given the available data.”

Another SciTech article reporting work by the University of Sao Paulo, Brazil, last December indicates the possibility that C19 affects the RNA molecule (which is essential to our metabolism from what I understand) and researchers from Boston University have a similar idea. C19 is a bastard of a virus that gets everywhere in the body including into one's nerves and can cause long-term damage. Vaccination does not guarantee immunity, same as with the yearly flu vaccine, but it offers the opportunity that it may hinder severity of infection even if it doesn't prevent it. What angers me is that our useless governments not only have allowed the bug to run riot since December 2022, but have done absolutely nothing to enable social (including financial) support for those who suffer from Long-covid.

Good luck; we all need it!

And some more on C19, from SciTech Daily reporting research from the Howard Hughes institute of medical Research, Rockefeller uni, USA.

"People infected by the novel coronavirus can have symptoms that range from mild to deadly. Now, two new analyses suggest that some life-threatening cases can be traced to weak spots in patients' immune systems.

At least 3.5 percent of study patients with severe COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, have mutations in genes involved in antiviral defense. And at least 10 percent of patients with severe disease create "auto-antibodies" that attack the immune system, instead of fighting the virus. The results, reported in two papers in the journal Science on September 24, 2020, identify some root causes of life-threatening COVID-19, says study leader Jean-Laurent Casanova, a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator at The Rockefeller University.

Seeing these harmful antibodies in so many patients -- 101 out of 987 -- was "a stunning observation," he says. "These two papers provide the first explanation for why COVID-19 can be so severe in some people, while most others infected by the same virus are okay."

The work has immediate implications for diagnostics and treatment, Casanova says. If someone tests positive for the virus, they should "absolutely" be tested for the auto-antibodies, too, he adds, "with medical follow-up if those tests are positive." It's possible that removing such antibodies from the blood could ease symptoms of the disease."'

So one's genetic make-up may be related to our response both to vaccination and to how Covid-19 affects us. That's of no surprise. There is a mountain of research going on about C19 and yet we hear nothing from our medically-incompetent and scientifically-illiterate and ignorant politicians who merely tell us that the pandemic is over.

I had my 1st dose of Covid between my 1st & 2nd initial vax’s (no side effects except a sore arm at site & with the 1st, a headache for 12 hrs) which was a mild flu type illness for 24-48 hrs.
I had my 1st Booster & 2nd Booster with no I’ll effects & then just before my 3rd Booster before last Christmas I had my 2nd more severe flu/bronchitis type Covid illness over 7-10 days.
This 2nd illness really knocked me for 6. My husband had it both times but not as bad the 2nd time.
He’d been vaccinated the same as me. Thankfully we’ve both been able to receive our 3rd & final Booster as well as our yearly Flu shots & touch wood, we’ll keep well until next year’s combined Flu/Covid vax’s.
We’re both health challenged at 65 & 72 so we were recommended to have 3rd Booster as I’m particularly susceptible to picking up anything by just being near someone who’s ill for a few hours, but not necessarily Covid, just a cold can become Bronchitis & put me on bed rest me for weeks.
I’m on immune suppressant meds for Psoriatic Arthritis, a bit Rheumatoid & Osteo types which reduces my immunity.
I usually say you can pick your friends but not your genes, having both types of Arthritis in my family.
I was also a Reg. Nurse of over 40+ years of experience but thankfully dropped my career just prior to Covid or I may not have may not have been so lucky with the illnesses I did have.
I’ve been having annual flu shots ever since being diagnosed with the Arthritis at 30 years old & have never had the flu itself.
I’ve had temps when I’ve been unwell with Bronchitis only.
I don’t think either of us suffers from long Covid effects, just older age forgetfulness & lack of energy that comes from our chronic illnesses.
I tend to still wear the N95 masks when I go into crowded places, shopping centres & medical centres as people can’t be trusted to stay home or wear a mask if unwell in any way.
I’ve actually heard people say “I’ve been unwell with a respiratory illness but if I don’t test myself I won’t know if it’s Covid.
I find this a rather selfish way to manage an illness in public. Stay home or wear a proper mask if you’re out as there are a lot of people with chronic illnesses in the community!
Jenny AB,
I have had so many tests and cat-scans and even MRI, let alone the tests the Cardiologist did on me, and none of them came up with anything being wrong with me. I have no signs of Arthritis nor anything else in the cat scans and the MRI to suggest that there is something wrong with me. All tests have come up as being "REMARKABLE" and yet I am not well and at times full of pain and discomfort and extremely tired.
The next thing my GP came up with when the specialist wrote in his report that I am suffering from Long Covid and he didn't believe it, he told me that my problems are caused by some Virus. Yet he didn't name any of them. You being a nurse would know full well that when Doctors don't know what is wrong with you they always tell you that you have a virus. That is a good scapegoat and excuse.
Eventually they will come out and tell us that Long Covid and the side effects of the Covid Vaccines are for real, (IN THE USA THEY ARE ALREADY ACKNOWLEDGING THE FACTS AND THE REALITY OF IT ALL), just the same as when they were denying that Chronic Fatigue Syndrme was just an excuse that people used not go to work only to now admitting that it is for real and that many people are suffering from it.
I have a daughter who is a nurse and she is married to an Anesthetist and Assistant Surgeon and she knows what I was like before I got the shots we were forced to have and now. She simply can't explain it.
Anyway good luck with you and your husband.

I am really sorry to hear about such troubles. The Covid vaccine that I have read about may not prevent infection but apparently lessens its impact. I have had all five shots and no side effects. Likewise members of my family. 4 members of my family have had Covid, 2 of them vaccinated before hand and to them it was like a mild flu ; the other two caught it before the vaccine was available, had it twice and both were very bad for around 4 weeks but recovered without Long-covid setting in. So it seems very much the luck of the draw and makes me wonder about human genetics and possible pre-dispositions towards long term problems afterwards. I have had glandular fever twice and after the second one the after effects lingered for about 5 years. I believe there is a vaccine for glandular fever these days.

I don't go for conspiracy theories. I recognise that the NSW government of the day was too stupid to ensure adequate quarantine facilities at ports of entry to NSW and unleashed Covid-19 on Australia as a result.

As for scientific research intoC19, the first two years ofthe pademic saw about 1 million research papers published, including the aerodynamics of facemasks and ariflow from sneezes, and a lot of this work, including into Long Covid, is avaible in easily readable summaries through the free web-site SciTech Daily.

Targin and Endone are both effective pain killers for some things but need a prescription. They are more powerful than Paracetamol.

With sincere best wishes for your recovery.
Thanks Rob. Yes there are the majority of people who do not get a side effect from the Covid Vaccine but there are many that do.
My niece in the USA told me, after a study was done, that everyone will get a side effect from the Vaccine, either mild or severe but while everyone suffer from a side effect about 85% of those people get over it within the period of one month while the remaining 15% have been found to still suffer 18 months after they received the shots.
As for the medication you suggested I can't take many medications but the ones you are mentioning are practically opioids and my GP will not prescribe them in any ways or form because they are addictive. He won't even prescribed me the 50 milligrams of Tramadol which are very weak and he said they are addictive and the Government have put a restriction on them.
Is there a method in the madness of our Government.?................ I REALLY WONDER what is behind it all.
Cheers mate.