Did Kmart just add $4 plywood coffins to their inventory?!

It seems like Kmart is always surprising its customer base with new and exciting products—from stylish home decor items to clever tricks that can save us a fortune.

This time, though, the retail giant has outdone itself by introducing a most unexpected product to its inventory: $4 Plywood Coffins!

Kmart has advertised its new offering with a tagline: ‘At Kmart, you'll always find low prices for life.’

A description of the item on Kmart’s website read: ‘Customise this Plywood Coffin to add a spooky touch to your Halloween celebrations this year.’

Screenshot 2023-10-06 143502.png
Kmart Plywood Coffin, $4. Credit: Kmart

The new addition caught the attention of Aussie shoppers online, where a photo of the advertisement was posted.

'Just a casual coffin,' one social media user joked.

'I know it's a…decoration, but it still made me look twice,' they admitted.

The reactions ranged from bemused to completely bewildered.

‘Low prices for life... and death?’ another social media user commented.

‘I'm assuming it's quite small and not human-sized,’ a fifth person said—which is true!

The dimension of the coffin was posted on the retailer’s website: 11.2cm (L) x 25.3cm (H) x 7.5cm (D).

Yet, despite the initial surprise, some shoppers have been embracing the spooky spirit.

'I need this!' One exclaimed, while another resourceful individual revealed the elements they had added to transform the coffin into a glamorous piece of decor.

Screenshot 2023-10-06 124931.png
Social media users shared that they decorated the coffin for a more personal touch. Credit: Kmart Decor & Hacks/Facebook

‘Now all you need is a tiny skeleton,’ a social media user remarked.

What's more, despite its size, it seems like the coffin is a popular item amongst shoppers of all ages.

'My 13-year-old rushed to buy one,' one shopper shared. 'It's super cute! She had fun drawing on it.’

Kmart isn't the first to bridge the gap between the living and the afterlife, though—it turns out that Costco actually sells real coffins, although, judging by the shocked reactions on social media, you won't find them out on the shop floor!

Kmart also offers other spooky decorations, including Pumpkin or Ghost Ceramic Pumpkin Lanterns, Candle Making Kit, a Paper Mache Pumpkin, a Craft Spiderweb, and themed Ribbons!

Key Takeaways
  • Kmart has added a $4 Plywood Coffin to its website, surprising many shoppers.
  • The coffin measures only 11.2cm x 25.3cm x 7.5cm, and its advertisement has prompted a range of reactions, from amusement to mild bewilderment.
  • Despite the initial surprise, some shoppers are embracing the novelty item, with one transforming the coffin into a decorative piece.
  • This is not the first instance of afterlife-inspired products, as it was pointed out that real coffins can be bought at Costco.

What do you think of Kmart’s Plwood Coffins, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
As far as I know we do not celebrate Halloween (all hallows eve) before All Saints' Day on 1 November and All Souls Day on 2 November. Too much advertising and merchandise for a silly reason to encourage children to eat sweets.

It seems like Kmart is always surprising its customer base with new and exciting products—from stylish home decor items to clever tricks that can save us a fortune.

This time, though, the retail giant has outdone itself by introducing a most unexpected product to its inventory: $4 Plywood Coffins!

Kmart has advertised its new offering with a tagline: ‘At Kmart, you'll always find low prices for life.’

A description of the item on Kmart’s website read: ‘Customise this Plywood Coffin to add a spooky touch to your Halloween celebrations this year.’

View attachment 31587

The new addition caught the attention of Aussie shoppers online, where a photo of the advertisement was posted.

‘I'm assuming it's quite small and not human-sized,’ a fifth person said—which is true!

The dimension of the coffin was posted on the retailer’s website: 11.2cm (L) x 25.3cm (H) x 7.5cm (D).

Yet, despite the initial surprise, some shoppers have been embracing the spooky spirit.

'I need this!' One exclaimed, while another resourceful individual revealed the elements they had added to transform the coffin into a glamorous piece of decor.

View attachment 31588
Social media users shared that they decorated the coffin for a more personal touch. Credit: Kmart Decor & Hacks/Facebook

What's more, despite its size, it seems like the coffin is a popular item amongst shoppers of all ages.

'My 13-year-old rushed to buy one,' one shopper shared. 'It's super cute! She had fun drawing on it.’

Kmart isn't the first to bridge the gap between the living and the afterlife, though—it turns out that Costco actually sells real coffins, although, judging by the shocked reactions on social media, you won't find them out on the shop floor!

Kmart also offers other spooky decorations, including Pumpkin or Ghost Ceramic Pumpkin Lanterns, Candle Making Kit, a Paper Mache Pumpkin, a Craft Spiderweb, and themed Ribbons!

Key Takeaways

• The coffin measures only 11.2cm x 25.3cm x 7.5cm, and its advertisement has prompted a range of reactions, from amusement to mild bewilderment.
  • Despite the initial surprise, some shoppers are embracing the novelty item, with one transforming the coffin into a decorative piece.
  • This is not the first instance of afterlife-inspired products, as it was pointed out that real coffins can be bought at Costco.

What do you think of Kmart’s Plwood Coffins, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
The actual real ones make a great coffee table! Dad always said he had one when he was young

Halloween is actually celebrated in many countries but under different names. We celebrate a form of it in Switzerland in Feb and it's been going on for centuries there. Children don’t dress up but men dress up in quite scary costumes roaming through the towns scaring evil spirits away. This goes on for a week. Great fun.

In a store where you can buy almost anything maybe real low-cost coffins will be available in the future

which is?
Historians have linked Halloween to Samhain, the Celtic festival of the summer's end celebrated in Ireland, Scotland, and the Isle of Man. According to Celtic mythology, the veil between the Otherworld and our world thins during Samhain, making it easier for spirits and the souls of the dead to return. They gave offerings of food to entice these spirits

It then became bigger in America except the Americans added trick ot treat .
For most American kids, it wouldn’t be Halloween without trick-or-treating for candy; however, that wasn’t always the case. When the custom of trick-or-treating started in the 1930s and early 1940s, children were given everything from homemade cookies and pieces of cake to fruit, nuts, coins and toys.

In the 1950s, candy manufacturers began to get in on the act and promote their products for Halloween, and as trick-or-treating became more popular, candy was increasingly regarded as an affordable, convenient offering.

It wasn’t until the 1970s, though, that wrapped, factory-made candy was viewed as the only acceptable thing to hand out to all the little ghosts and goblins that showed up on people’s doorsteps. A key reason for this was safety, as parents feared that real-life boogeymen might tamper with goodies that weren’t store-bought and sealed.

So no thank you my family will never partake in Halloween

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricki and Jo Piper3

View attachment 31587

View attachment 31588

Key Takeaways

I think it's all a bit of fun for Halloween, I don't see an issue with it.

Reactions: Ricki

View attachment 31587

View attachment 31588

Key Takeaways

when it comes time to put me in a real one it will be made of cardboard, I dont need one of those fancy overpriced ones or I could make my own fancy one as I am quite good with my hands, but I just might wait until I need it....

Reactions: Jo Piper3