S

Sean Camara

Diabetic obese woman in her 90s receives three sacks of sugar treats per year from loved ones — Is this attempted murder?

In a recent Gransnet post, one user shared a story about their obese, diabetic, 90-year-old relative who receives regular gifts of sugary treats from loved ones. The gifts, which include cakes, biscuits, and chocolates, have caused the elderly woman to gain 3kg each time, and she has also reportedly developed UTIs as a result.

The original poster (OP) asks if they are overreacting in thinking that these gifts are attempted murder, given the potentially harmful effects of the sugar on the elderly woman's health.

The post has caught the attention of users, with several people speculating that the 90-year-old might be purchasing those sweets for herself.

The OP then took to the comments to clarify that the woman is definitely being given the sweets.

The user explained: "The obese diabetic old lady doesn't buy them for herself. A visiting adult child visits only three times per year and brings a bag of the sweet stuff each time."

"The photo shows just today's gifts. No flowers, just this vast load of a tin of biscuits, cake, and endless bags of chocolates. It is hard to imagine it's not designed to harm."

jr7hMHhl6r-bH-Zq5SvTQpPHy_fJw4oM-fkg_6vqkNScgi-IJl5lRKcejnfyn6r5j8cLkdhYGjv7YXSdfZOgSxw82chsOri3VABtPAUYy5n7k4aXTSzK_q_HWe-wnvVvdSQkzKwdN2ByJ0fYbw

The amount of sweets the 90-year-old diabetic received from her loved ones. Credit: Gransnet.

Many commenters noted that the elderly woman may be asking for the sugary treats, or that the person giving them may simply think that at her age, she is entitled to enjoy whatever she wants.

One person wrote: "If she is obese she is eating the wrong foods when they are not visiting. Maybe she asks for them."

"It's possible that the lady asks her visitor for these things when she visits. Often on Gransnet users say 'At my time of life I'm not being told what to do! I'll do what I want!'" another added.

"Well, maybe she feels the same."

A third chimed in: "I think at the age of 90, a person should eat and drink whatever the hell they like."

Others poked fun at the idea, saying that if she reached 90 despite eating that amount of sweets, then the "attempted murder" may not be working.

One user said: "Well the murderous intent obviously isn't working if she's lived to 90!"

Several users also said that her loved ones are most probably being kind to her by gifting her sweets — assuming that she requested them — and letting her enjoy the food that she wants to consume.

One person said: "At 90 she's already reached a grand age. I'd leave it be. Certainly not attempted murder!"

"Or maybe the 'giver/givers' just think that at her time in life, she's entitled to eat whatever she wants, even if it is causing her harm?" another asked.

"I'm not attempting to condone it, by the way - but I've heard that argument from others in similar circumstances - such as with smoking. Some people justify these things by arguing that a person of such advanced years should be able to 'enjoy' whatever time they have left no matter what damage their form of 'enjoyment' is causing."

Sh3HSNlhWToxaXMoTWQyyfHvZTB_DyWbh043EzH3z38r5CJCrehU0PJc-r0N_KFwecR1GyWkSi2hCAkfl0eB6ywsCVJm6RA5ETG2TeDHkM3ChGMtXSmCCXOfIfFumg8bveijdw4xYa-sX4sTAw

Several users speculated that the 90-year-old requested the sweets instead of being intentionally gifted them. Credit: MedicalNewsToday.

One woman shared her personal story about how her husband, who was given 6 weeks to live, requested to drink the expensive bottles of brandy they were saving up in the cupboard.

She recollected: "He is on his 3rd bottle - all bought by me, some of his tablets say don’t drink alcohol with them but who cares he enjoys it."

"Attempted murder? I don’t think so," the woman added.

However, others pointed out that the gifts could be deliberately harmful, as in the case of one commenter who shared a story about a "friend" who deliberately cooked her husband unhealthy foods in an attempt to give him a heart attack.

One person shared: "Oh I don't know. I had a 'friend' once who deliberately cooked her husband the fattiest, unhealthiest foods she could think of. She told me she was trying to give him a heart attack. We're not friends anymore."

Another person argued that if there are parties interested in the will of the elderly woman, then it might be attempted murder.

"Perhaps there is harm intended, but I doubt it’ll make a difference," the user said.

At 90 the damage from diabetes is already done. Stopping eating sweet stuff probably won't improve her lot. Like many in her age group, got conditioned to eating more highly processed foods at later age and nothing can fix it. Many think cutting out something when you are old will make you well but the damage started to happen in their 30s and 40s so by the time they get to 80 or 90 no use stopping

In a recent Gransnet post, one user shared a story about their obese, diabetic, 90-year-old relative who receives regular gifts of sugary treats from loved ones. The gifts, which include cakes, biscuits, and chocolates, have caused the elderly woman to gain 3kg each time, and she has also reportedly developed UTIs as a result.

The original poster (OP) asks if they are overreacting in thinking that these gifts are attempted murder, given the potentially harmful effects of the sugar on the elderly woman's health.

The post has caught the attention of users, with several people speculating that the 90-year-old might be purchasing those sweets for herself.

The OP then took to the comments to clarify that the woman is definitely being given the sweets.

The user explained: "The obese diabetic old lady doesn't buy them for herself. A visiting adult child visits only three times per year and brings a bag of the sweet stuff each time."

"The photo shows just today's gifts. No flowers, just this vast load of a tin of biscuits, cake, and endless bags of chocolates. It is hard to imagine it's not designed to harm."

jr7hMHhl6r-bH-Zq5SvTQpPHy_fJw4oM-fkg_6vqkNScgi-IJl5lRKcejnfyn6r5j8cLkdhYGjv7YXSdfZOgSxw82chsOri3VABtPAUYy5n7k4aXTSzK_q_HWe-wnvVvdSQkzKwdN2ByJ0fYbw

The amount of sweets the 90-year-old diabetic received from her loved ones. Credit: Gransnet.

Many commenters noted that the elderly woman may be asking for the sugary treats, or that the person giving them may simply think that at her age, she is entitled to enjoy whatever she wants.

One person wrote: "If she is obese she is eating the wrong foods when they are not visiting. Maybe she asks for them."

"It's possible that the lady asks her visitor for these things when she visits. Often on Gransnet users say 'At my time of life I'm not being told what to do! I'll do what I want!'" another added.

"Well, maybe she feels the same."

A third chimed in: "I think at the age of 90, a person should eat and drink whatever the hell they like."

Others poked fun at the idea, saying that if she reached 90 despite eating that amount of sweets, then the "attempted murder" may not be working.

One user said: "Well the murderous intent obviously isn't working if she's lived to 90!"

Several users also said that her loved ones are most probably being kind to her by gifting her sweets — assuming that she requested them — and letting her enjoy the food that she wants to consume.

One person said: "At 90 she's already reached a grand age. I'd leave it be. Certainly not attempted murder!"

"Or maybe the 'giver/givers' just think that at her time in life, she's entitled to eat whatever she wants, even if it is causing her harm?" another asked.

"I'm not attempting to condone it, by the way - but I've heard that argument from others in similar circumstances - such as with smoking. Some people justify these things by arguing that a person of such advanced years should be able to 'enjoy' whatever time they have left no matter what damage their form of 'enjoyment' is causing."

Sh3HSNlhWToxaXMoTWQyyfHvZTB_DyWbh043EzH3z38r5CJCrehU0PJc-r0N_KFwecR1GyWkSi2hCAkfl0eB6ywsCVJm6RA5ETG2TeDHkM3ChGMtXSmCCXOfIfFumg8bveijdw4xYa-sX4sTAw

Several users speculated that the 90-year-old requested the sweets instead of being intentionally gifted them. Credit: MedicalNewsToday.

One woman shared her personal story about how her husband, who was given 6 weeks to live, requested to drink the expensive bottles of brandy they were saving up in the cupboard.

She recollected: "He is on his 3rd bottle - all bought by me, some of his tablets say don’t drink alcohol with them but who cares he enjoys it."

"Attempted murder? I don’t think so," the woman added.

However, others pointed out that the gifts could be deliberately harmful, as in the case of one commenter who shared a story about a "friend" who deliberately cooked her husband unhealthy foods in an attempt to give him a heart attack.

One person shared: "Oh I don't know. I had a 'friend' once who deliberately cooked her husband the fattiest, unhealthiest foods she could think of. She told me she was trying to give him a heart attack. We're not friends anymore."

Another person argued that if there are parties interested in the will of the elderly woman, then it might be attempted murder.

"Perhaps there is harm intended, but I doubt it’ll make a difference," the user said.

I look at this in a different way from everyone else apparently. I’m 76 and I also subscribe to the theory that I’m old enough to eat/do whatever I want. Within reason.

HOWEVER, having worked in medicine for 42 years, I know that it’s probable that this woman is very likely a drain on the health system. She needs drugs for her diabetes and recurrent UTIs. She may well be on other drugs as well for conditions such as high blood pressure, reflux etc. If this is happening in Australia, these drugs and the doctors’ visits necessary to receive the prescriptions, are being paid for by the taxpayer.

Also, recurrent UTIs in elderly women will almost alway be suffered by those who are overweight. I’m disabled and very limited in mobility. I fight every day against the temptation to overeat, because I know how difficult obese patients are to nurse when in hospital. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Ezzy, RTS and Ricci
I wonder who reported this, the mother or the daughter? Or perhaps a health professional?
UTIs are uncomfortable for everyone, but for an obese diabetic they would probably feel worse.

Reactions: Ricci
I look at this in a different way from everyone else apparently. I’m 76 and I also subscribe to the theory that I’m old enough to eat/do whatever I want. Within reason.

HOWEVER, having worked in medicine for 42 years, I know that it’s probable that this woman is very likely a drain on the health system. She needs drugs for her diabetes and recurrent UTIs. She may well be on other drugs as well for conditions such as high blood pressure, reflux etc. If this is happening in Australia, these drugs and the doctors’ visits necessary to receive the prescriptions, are being paid for by the taxpayer.

Also, recurrent UTIs in elderly women will almost alway be suffered by those who are overweight. I’m disabled and very limited in mobility. I fight every day against the temptation to overeat, because I know how difficult obese patients are to nurse when in hospital. Just my opinion.
I don't object to my tax dollars going to make a 90s+ person comfortable. Let her eat what she wants. My mother was 87 when she went into a nursing home. She was not obese but had diabetes, T2. I told the carers not to test her blood sugars any more and let her eat whatever she wanted and how much she wanted. She developed a taste for chocolate which she'd never before liked. She died a few months later. I also have T2 diabetes. If I reach 90 I will be giving up testing and dieting and I will eat anything I like. I have contributed enough to society in my lifetime so I won't feel guilty taking up whatever it costs for me to enjoy my last months/years.

Reactions: Ricci