Devastated Fans Demand Return of Discontinued Budget-Friendly Staple from Coles

Meal planning can be an exhausting task and a major source of stress for money-savvy seniors.

With tight finances, we must make our money go a long way, and a reliable meal plan that provides maximum value for our budget is crucial.

That's why we often turn to our local supermarket for delicious, budget-friendly ingredients that can help us create affordable and delicious meals.

While browsing the aisles of our local Coles store, we look for products that offer the best bang for our buck and help us spice up our meals.

One such product was a popular tinned item from Edgell, known as Tomato Supreme, a mix of diced tomatoes, onion, capsicum, and celery blended into a delicious salsa mix.

The product was not just budget-friendly but also extremely versatile and was often seen as a cornerstone ingredient for many of our household's kitchen favourites, such as pasta and pizza!

Sadly, members looking to get the most out of their grocery budget have been left reeling after Edgell discontinued the popular product more than a year ago, making it no longer available in Coles stores.

Sharing their disappointment on the Coles Cooking Club's Facebook group, many fans said they were 'devastated' and 'bereft' to see that their favourite tomato-based product had vanished from shelves.

FB resize 8.jpg
Many shoppers were left devastated after Edgell halted the production of its popular Tomato Supreme tinned tomatoes. Credit: Edgell.

'Why? Just why? Loved by many,' one person wrote on a Coles Cooking Club Facebook group post.

Another said: 'One of my favourites, I’m devastated that Edgell has discontinued this product. The best thing for chicken parmy! Please bring it back.'

A third chimed in: 'Hard to believe.’

Many home cooks considered the tinned tomato a must-have ingredient for a variety of popular dishes, as it was a long-time favourite among them.

One user commented: ‘Loved this, so easy for chicken parmigiana.'

‘Lucky am I, my sister had a few in her pantry and brought me one today. I’ll treat it like liquid gold,’ another shared.

Unsurprisingly, many fans of the product have been trying to encourage Edgell to change their minds and bring the product back so they can continue enjoying the flavourful addition to their meals.

One person claimed: ‘I emailed Edgell, they said they stopped making it as it wasn’t popular enough! It was the best product!’

‘Oh please, Edgell - bring it back,’ another comment read.

Unfortunately, according to a spokesperson from Simplot, Edgell’s parent company, there are no plans to return the product.

The representative remarked: ‘We are aware of a passionate group of Edgell consumers that would love for us to bring back the Edgell Tomato Supreme Salsa Mix 300g, and we appreciate their ongoing support of the brand.’

‘Unfortunately, Tomato Supreme was discontinued in May 2022 following a steady decline in sales volumes over a 10-year period, which made it no longer viable for us to make the product.’

'We understand how frustrating it can be to see a favourite product disappear from the shelf, and the decision to discontinue the product at the time was not made lightly.'

‘We continue to monitor the market, but at this point in time, have no plans to bring the product back.’

It should also be noted that the company's website states that Tomato Supreme is currently unavailable at all retailers.

Key Takeaways
  • Edgell discontinued their popular Tomato Supreme product more than a year ago, leaving many fans disappointed.
  • Members of the Coles Cooking Club's Facebook group have expressed their devastation and have been trying to encourage Edgell to bring the product back.
  • According to a spokesperson from Simplot, there are currently no plans to bring the product back due to a steady decline in sales volumes over a 10-year period.
  • The discontinuation of Tomato Supreme has left many money-savvy seniors searching for a new versatile, budget-friendly staple to add to their meals.

There you have it, folks! What do you think about this move? Does it impact your meal planning as well? Better yet, do you know other budget-friendly alternatives to this product? Share them with us in the comments below!

Also, does this article make you crave some tomato-based soup? We recommend checking out this recipe! (It doesn’t use tinned tomatoes!)

Sponsored
I don't understand how Edgell would stop producing their Tomato
Supreme. This was a fabulous product that I, and it sounds like
Thousands like me, found it an incredible product to use when I Was
making Chicken, Veal and Beef Schnitzels. Extremely tasty and easy to use.
There was and still isn't anything else on the market that comes close.
All you had to do was cook your meat, spread this on top, sprinkle your
Parmesan or cheese of your choice over the top and stick it under the
Griller. Magnificent.
Obviously by all reports Edgell are not considering bringing it back
into production. Damn it.
Many years ago there was a sauce/gravy called Bolognaise Sauce, it was in a packet in powder form and you made it up the same way as you do
gravy today. It was lump free, looked just like gravy, just a little different
colour. It was so versatile and it was magic to taste. Then the people
who made it, decided to take it off the market too. Nothing took its
place!
Anyone out there remember it?

t

It's very disappointing. I used this product all the time when my boys were growing up. It was a tasty salsa sauce quickly warmed in a saucepan, for when I made beef tacos for them. Plus, other for things as well.

Meal planning can be an exhausting task and a major source of stress for money-savvy seniors.

With tight finances, we must make our money go a long way, and a reliable meal plan that provides maximum value for our budget is crucial.

That's why we often turn to our local supermarket for delicious, budget-friendly ingredients that can help us create affordable and delicious meals.

While browsing the aisles of our local Coles store, we look for products that offer the best bang for our buck and help us spice up our meals.

One such product was a popular tinned item from Edgell, known as Tomato Supreme, a mix of diced tomatoes, onion, capsicum, and celery blended into a delicious salsa mix.

The product was not just budget-friendly but also extremely versatile and was often seen as a cornerstone ingredient for many of our household's kitchen favourites, such as pasta and pizza!

Sadly, members looking to get the most out of their grocery budget have been left reeling after Edgell discontinued the popular product more than a year ago, making it no longer available in Coles stores.

Sharing their disappointment on the Coles Cooking Club's Facebook group, many fans said they were 'devastated' and 'bereft' to see that their favourite tomato-based product had vanished from shelves.

View attachment 16587
Many shoppers were left devastated after Edgell halted the production of its popular Tomato Supreme tinned tomatoes. Credit: Edgell.

'Why? Just why? Loved by many,' one person wrote on a Coles Cooking Club Facebook group post.

Another said: 'One of my favourites, I’m devastated that Edgell has discontinued this product. The best thing for chicken parmy! Please bring it back.'

Many home cooks considered the tinned tomato a must-have ingredient for a variety of popular dishes, as it was a long-time favourite among them.

‘Lucky am I, my sister had a few in her pantry and brought me one today. I’ll treat it like liquid gold,’ another shared.

Unsurprisingly, many fans of the product have been trying to encourage Edgell to change their minds and bring the product back so they can continue enjoying the flavourful addition to their meals.

One person claimed: ‘I emailed Edgell, they said they stopped making it as it wasn’t popular enough! It was the best product!’

Unfortunately, according to a spokesperson from Simplot, Edgell’s parent company, there are no plans to return the product.

The representative remarked: ‘We are aware of a passionate group of Edgell consumers that would love for us to bring back the Edgell Tomato Supreme Salsa Mix 300g, and we appreciate their ongoing support of the brand.’

‘Unfortunately, Tomato Supreme was discontinued in May 2022 following a steady decline in sales volumes over a 10-year period, which made it no longer viable for us to make the product.’

'We understand how frustrating it can be to see a favourite product disappear from the shelf, and the decision to discontinue the product at the time was not made lightly.'

‘We continue to monitor the market, but at this point in time, have no plans to bring the product back.’

It should also be noted that the company's website states that Tomato Supreme is currently unavailable at all retailers.

Key Takeaways

• Edgell discontinued their popular Tomato Supreme product more than a year ago, leaving many fans disappointed.
  • Members of the Coles Cooking Club's Facebook group have expressed their devastation and have been trying to encourage Edgell to bring the product back.
  • According to a spokesperson from Simplot, there are currently no plans to bring the product back due to a steady decline in sales volumes over a 10-year period.
  • The discontinuation of Tomato Supreme has left many money-savvy seniors searching for a new versatile, budget-friendly staple to add to their meals.

There you have it, folks! What do you think about this move? Does it impact your meal planning as well? Better yet, do you know other budget-friendly alternatives to this product? Share them with us in the comments below!

Also, does this article make you crave some tomato-based soup? We recommend checking out this recipe! (It doesn’t use tinned tomatoes!)
I’ve never heard of it but now that I have I want some, all those ingredients I use in most things and it would have saved me a lot of time and energy cutting it up 😟

View attachment 16587

Key Takeaways

I was devastated. I used it in spaghetti bolognaise, chicken spaghetti and Greek Pillafy. They haven't had the same flavour since. I stopped cooking chicken spag altogether because I couldn't get the flavour right. Alternatives are not the same and certainly not as convenient. Sad times 😢

But life goes on 😊

Edgell has also discontinued their Instant Potato Mash powder, which is the only instant potato mash that actually tastes like real potatoes. If you mix it right u can't tell the difference from fresh potatoes. This is a great loss to me as having a disability that causes extreme fatigue, it was a great help when trying to prepare a meal. Bring it back plz Edgell !

Edgell has also discontinued their Instant Potato Mash powder, which is the only instant potato mash that actually tastes like real potatoes. If you mix it right u can't tell the difference from fresh potatoes. This is a great loss to me as having a disability that causes extreme fatigue, it was a great help when trying to prepare a meal. Bring it back plz Edgell !
Not as cheap as the powdered product, but the frozen mash potato is pretty close to fresh. I add extra butter and a little milk. Very convenient when cooking just for myself.

Reactions: ShannyN and Ricci
Nothing like shopping in your own pantry. This morning, I found 2 Edgell tomato supreme tins sitting there.
How lucky am I!

Reactions: Ricci