Details emerge of 85-year-old's death after 19-hour police response delay

In a quiet neighbourhood of Bankstown, southwest Sydney, a community is grappling with a tragic event that has raised serious questions about the timeliness of police responses to welfare checks.

An 85-year-old man was found deceased in his home, and the circumstances leading up to the discovery have prompted a critical incident investigation.

On the afternoon of 4 July, a concerned member of the public dialled the police, requesting a welfare check on the elderly man at a unit on William Street.

The call came in at approximately 5:40 PM, but police officers did not arrive at the scene until 12.30 PM the following day, 19 hours later.

shutterstock_1300880290.jpg
The police arrived 19 hours after a concerned member called them to check on an 85-year-old man for a welfare check. Credit: Shutterstock

Upon their arrival, the officers immediately commenced CPR in a desperate attempt to revive the man.

Tragically, their efforts were in vain. Paramedics soon arrived and declared the man dead.

‘Unfortunately, even with the assistance of ambulance, we were unable to sustain the life of the 85-year-old male,’ NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Brett McFadden told a news conference.

Commenting on the man's death this morning, McFadden remarked that Bankstown was ‘one of the busiest commands in the state’.

The Cumberland Critical Incident Investigation Team has stepped in to scrutinise the actions of the New South Wales Police Force.

‘Looking at the workload and the priorities that were considered at that time, on the information that was available, it is now a direct report from the investigation to me,’ McFadden said.

This investigation will be subject to an independent review by the Professional Standards Command and will be overseen by the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission (LECC).

The LECC has confirmed that it was notified of the critical incident and will be ‘independently monitoring the investigation’.

A report will be prepared for the coroner, who will examine the details of the man's death and the factors that contributed to the police's delayed response.

In similar news, the son of a 92-year-old man called for Aged Care Reforms and mental health services after NSW police officers allegedly assaulted his father.

However, the NSW Police Commissioner emphasised the complexity of responding to incidents involving elderly people with mental decline and reassured residents that they can trust the police. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • An 85-year-old man was found dead in Bankstown, south-west Sydney, almost a week after his death was declared a critical incident.
  • There was a 19-hour delay between the public call for a welfare check and the police’s arrival at his unit.
  • A critical incident investigation is being conducted by the Cumberland Police Area Command to examine all aspects of the response from NSW Police.
  • The investigation will be independently reviewed by the Professional Standards, with oversight by the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission (LECC), and a report will be prepared for the coroner.
Our hearts go out to the family and friends of the man who passed away.

Sponsored
Sadly my father had been deceased for maybe weeks before he was found too. My father was totally deaf. I would ring him and when he did not have his hearing aids in he could not hear the phone. I would tell him. Dad please wear your hearing aids one day you might pass away and be there for weeks before anyone knows. He would just laugh at me. As we lived on opposite sides of Melbourne l did not visit him. He really prefered l didn't visit. I had only been back in his life for around 12 years due to him leaving us many many years earlier and having a new family which his wife didn't want him to have any thing to do with his children. He had four stepkids who were not interested in him now he was older and had no money. I was doing everything for him except visiting him his wish. I had been ringing for a few weeks no answer this wasn't unusual. He would call when he needed something.
One morning before heading out with a girlfriend l had a call from a funeral home asking to speak with Ricky.
No sorry darling you have the wrong number.
Went out had a great day. Came home had a message asking for Ricky again in regards to my father's name the funeral home again. Then the penny dropped.
I rang and said l am Vicki not Ricky has my father's passed away. Yes. Well it's far to long to go into but, his step granddaughter found him. Poor young woman. He had been there for anything up to a month the dr said. Well from that moment my world was turned upside down because of the fibs he told me. Anyway l had to contact police because l had no contact numbers for his stepchildren. I had made him do a prepaid funeral for him and his wife who had passed away a few years earlier. The funeral home he was taken to wasn't the one he was meant to be at because the other family knew nothing about his prepaid. It cost me to have him changed over. I ended up with a rather large fee. The other family were not coming fourth to pay. All they wanted to do was clean out the rented unit to see what they could find. I said l don't want anything. I was told by the step daughter she had a headache because of all the paperwork he kept. They told me they would clean the unit properly. No of course not. The landlord was very kind in the end and took some of the bond for cleaning and returned a little. It was an absolute nightmare after the funeral l had a complete physical break down and have not recovered physically since and never will.
Sometimes you can do the very best you can for someone but sadly these things happen.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Sadly my father had been deceased for maybe weeks before he was found too. My father was totally deaf. I would ring him and when he did not have his hearing aids in he could not hear the phone. I would tell him. Dad please wear your hearing aids one day you might pass away and be there for weeks before anyone knows. He would just laugh at me. As we lived on opposite sides of Melbourne l did not visit him. He really prefered l didn't visit. I had only been back in his life for around 12 years due to him leaving us many many years earlier and having a new family which his wife didn't want him to have any thing to do with his children. He had four stepkids who were not interested in him now he was older and had no money. I was doing everything for him except visiting him his wish. I had been ringing for a few weeks no answer this wasn't unusual. He would call when he needed something.
One morning before heading out with a girlfriend l had a call from a funeral home asking to speak with Ricky.
Went out had a great day. Came home had a message asking for Ricky again in regards to my father's name the funeral home again. Then the penny dropped.
I rang and said l am Vicki not Ricky has my father's passed away. Yes. Well it's far to long to go into but, his step granddaughter found him. Poor young woman. He had been there for anything up to a month the dr said. Well from that moment my world was turned upside down because of the fibs he told me. Anyway l had to contact police because l had no contact numbers for his stepchildren. I had made him do a prepaid funeral for him and his wife who had passed away a few years earlier. The funeral home he was taken to wasn't the one he was meant to be at because the other family knew nothing about his prepaid. It cost me to have him changed over. I ended up with a rather large fee. The other family were not coming fourth to pay. All they wanted to do was clean out the rented unit to see what they could find. I said l don't want anything. I was told by the step daughter she had a headache because of all the paperwork he kept. They told me they would clean the unit properly. No of course not. The landlord was very kind in the end and took some of the bond for cleaning and returned a little. It was an absolute nightmare after the funeral l had a complete physical break down and have not recovered physically since and never will.
Sometimes you can do the very best you can for someone but sadly these things happen.
So sorry to read this. My thoughts are with you. I found my neighbour deceased and the rigramole that went on with ambulance who took over an hour to get here while I was doing cPR which they told me i couldn't stop till the ambulance arrived. Then when they arrived they commenced CPR till the paramedic came and finally called her death, then we had the police to deal with because being a death at home. I was later told by my doctor I should have gone for a long walk then come back. So I understand you having a breakdown. The incident has stayed with me for over 9 years.

Oh Liz darling,
You poor darling, fancy expecting you to do CPR for a hour the poor soul was gone. Yes you being there the images you have in your mind will never leave you.
I had images in my mind and l am so thankful l did not find dad. Stupid of me l said to his step granddaughter can you find something nice to dress him in to give to the funeral home. Her reply there wasn't much left of him. I should have known that but mind was in over drive.
Then after the funeral how l felt so used by my father. I have got past all those feelings now. He bagged out the stepchildren. I could not care less about that. But it was hard when they came to me and said can we put photos up at the funeral. I said yes but you will have to pay for that. No problem. When dad had said they have nothing to do with him and then you see him sitting on the couch l gave him holding his step grandkids
and my son asking me. Mum how come there were no photos of you and your brother and sister. I said because he left us many many years ago and he didn't care l have just been the one to look after him in his older.age because he had no one. He was just short of his 83rd birthday when he passed away.
Just know you did the very best you could for your neighbour but it was their time.
Take care of yourself
Kind regards Vicki

Oh Liz darling,
You poor darling, fancy expecting you to do CPR for a hour the poor soul was gone. Yes you being there the images you have in your mind will never leave you.
I had images in my mind and l am so thankful l did not find dad. Stupid of me l said to his step granddaughter can you find something nice to dress him in to give to the funeral home. Her reply there wasn't much left of him. I should have known that but mind was in over drive.
Then after the funeral how l felt so used by my father. I have got past all those feelings now. He bagged out the stepchildren. I could not care less about that. But it was hard when they came to me and said can we put photos up at the funeral. I said yes but you will have to pay for that. No problem. When dad had said they have nothing to do with him and then you see him sitting on the couch l gave him holding his step grandkids
and my son asking me. Mum how come there were no photos of you and your brother and sister. I said because he left us many many years ago and he didn't care l have just been the one to look after him in his older.age because he had no one. He was just short of his 83rd birthday when he passed away.
Just know you did the very best you could for your neighbour but it was their time.
Take care of yourself
Kind regards Vicki
Vicki, you take care of yourself as well. It was a very tough situation you found yourself in and very harrowing.

Vicki, you take care of yourself as well. It was a very tough situation you found yourself in and very harrowing.
Oh you poor thing, it is so distressing doing CPR for so long when the person has already passed.
My neighbour and I did the same last month when my husband choked. Both of us being in our seventies, we took it in turns, I never realised how tiring it is. The ambulance took about 45 mins and obviously no one can survive without air for that long
I am not complaining about the ambulance service, they were wonderful. This is just what happens when you live in rural areas.
It will take a long time to get over this experience and I am very grateful to my neighbour for her assistance.

At 84 my family and friends would know something was wrong as some form of contact would be flagging a problem very quickly. Also I can advise if possible get a smart watch. Calling police not the best call we need more social care for the elderly .
Poor man what a sad death

I'm so sorry for your extremely sad experiences and hope your health improves soon. Please take care.

My heart hurts for you. Ask yourself what more could you have done, the answer would be, nothing. His other family will be elderly and maybe look back on their behaviour and have regrets.

Oh you poor thing, it is so distressing doing CPR for so long when the person has already passed.
My neighbour and I did the same last month when my husband choked. Both of us being in our seventies, we took it in turns, I never realised how tiring it is. The ambulance took about 45 mins and obviously no one can survive without air for that long
I am not complaining about the ambulance service, they were wonderful. This is just what happens when you live in rural areas.
It will take a long time to get over this experience and I am very grateful to my neighbour for her assistance.
Darling, l am so sorry for the loss of your husband 🙏
May your husband rest in eternal peace 🕊️
Well done to you and your neighbour for your huge effort
Kind regards Vicki

The way they try to justify the 19hour delay is the biggest load of c--p I have ever heard you see police where ever you are just wandering around doing nothing I do not believe they are over worked

So sorry to read this. My thoughts are with you. I found my neighbour deceased and the rigramole that went on with ambulance who took over an hour to get here while I was doing cPR which they told me i couldn't stop till the ambulance arrived. Then when they arrived they commenced CPR till the paramedic came and finally called her death, then we had the police to deal with because being a death at home. I was later told by my doctor I should have gone for a long walk then come back. So I understand you having a breakdown. The incident has stayed with me for over 9 years.
That is understandable..... the Dr had the right idea......It never leaves you......

I feel for you...... you can count on no one, not even family.