SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
J

James Gutierrez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 11, 2021
Desks with an inkwell

In today's classrooms, you'll see neatly arranged tables and chairs, providing plenty of room for students to work together or discuss topics. But it wasn't like that for kids growing up in the 1950s and '60s. Back then, pens weren't common; instead, people used inkwells to write notes and do their tasks.

Most old-school desks had a built-in inkwell. A student, usually called the 'ink monitor,' had the important job of refilling it. And it was a respected role at the time!

The desks varied in appearance, but they were usually big, heavy wooden blocks. They couldn't be moved easily, and there was no tilting back on chairs like kids do nowadays.

These desks had a special compartment under the lid where students could store books, papers, and their lunch. They also had a slot on the top for holding pencils or pens, and a small hole in one corner to hold the inkwell.

old-school-desk-inkwell-720x405.jpg
Source: Facebook/ Adelaide Remember When

What other memories do you have from your school days? Feel free to share them here!

When I was in Primary School in Lawson that was exactly the desks we sat in.
We wrote carefully with a pen that had a nib , dipped it in the ink and we all knew how to write our page of writing.
As you can imagine ,that was a long time ago..but I am still here and am now :-
A BEd…..J.P….OAM.

When I was in primary school, the boys used to dip your plaits or ponytails in their inkwells from behind.

Reactions: Reaper123
In the early 1950's at the Catholic Primary school I attended once a month the boys would move all the desks to one side of our classroom and the girls were handed real rasor blades and on our knees we went carefully scraping the ink stains off the wooden floors under the watchful eyes of the Nuns....hmm we would be scolded if we scraped too deep yet no safety holders were given out with the rasors and we didn't dare complain to our parents!!

I remember the desks and inkwells well and how messy they were. The other important job I scored was blackboard monitor, making sure the blackboard was clean, there were enough chalks for the teacher and the blackboard eraser was also clean.

Reactions: Johan van Zalen
I was an Ink Monitor and well recall mixing the Ink powder in a large Pitcher, with spout, adding water then carefully filling the Ink Wells. They were taken from the Desks and placed in a Tray with holes and a handle for carrying.

I remember starting school thinking wow when I get older I can use an ink and nib pen and maybe even be an ink monitor . But just before I got to this stage they brought in these new items called pens . I was so disappointed

Reactions: Johan van Zalen
I was an Ink Monitor and well recall mixing the Ink powder in a large Pitcher, with spout, adding water then carefully filling the Ink Wells. They were taken from the Desks and placed in a Tray with holes and a handle for carrying.
Oh wow that was definitely before my time