Designer style on a budget! Learn how this DIY mum transformed a Kmart coffee table

As much as we love to save money, sometimes it’s hard to find quality furniture without a hefty price tag.

So, if you fancy a designer look that still fits your budget, this ingenious DIY enthusiast has got you covered.

Teresa, who runs a design page on Instagram called Monochrome Haus, recently revealed how she took a plain and unassuming Kmart coffee table and transformed it into a chic, ‘designer-inspired’ look alike for less than $200.

Aside from Kmart, Teresa also found some of the items she needed from Facebook Marketplace and Bunnings.

Initially, the mum of two stated that she wanted a Blanco coffee table, but was caught off-guard by the $700 price tag.

So, she decided that a DIY project would solve her problems.

table1.jpg
This is the coffee table that served as Teresa’s inspiration for her project. Credit: Blanco Australia

Teresa said she was inspired to create her own coffee table after watching a video by Ros, who runs her own interior design and DIY account on Instagram under @playa_interiors.

‘Disclaimer: this was not my original idea and I know people have made similar things, so I’m not taking idea credit,’ Teresa explained.

To make the coffee table, Teresa bought Kmart’s Ribbed Side Table for $45 and painted it with British Paints primer from Bunnings. A litre of the paint primer costs $38.50.

Then, Teresa sanded down a round piece of timber she bought second-hand, filled any cracks or dents, and then painted it with primer. She said that she received the tabletop in second-hand condition, so she didn’t have to cut it down to size.

However, she advised those looking to try this DIY project at home to buy a rectangular piece of timber from Bunnings ($20) if they are unable to find a round piece of timber or tabletop.

table2.jpg
Kmart’s Ribbed Side Table costs $45. Credit: Kmart

There are round panels available in Bunnings but they are sold at a higher price point ($66).

Next, Teresa painted both the coffee table and the timber with a $10 matte paint, which she also bought from Kmart. She also spray-painted the table with chalked matte spray paint purchased from Bunnings ($20) to add some finishing touches.

Finally, she fixed the two pieces together with liquid nails and decorated the finished product with two coffee table books, a candle, and some trinkets.

table3.jpg
This is the end product. Credit: monochrome.haus_/Instagram

Many of Teresa’s followers loved the DIY coffee table and shared that they couldn’t get over how professional the finished product looked.

‘Yes! This is so good. You make me want to sneak some black in,’ stated one.

Another wrote: ‘Looks amazing, lovely! And that is the amazing thing about this platform, you get inspiration from others, and you’re right, so many people have done this before but yours is special because it was done by you and it looks amazing, girl.’

‘This is the best DIY coffee table I’ve seen on Instagram,’ one more replied, while another responded that Teresa has ‘outdone’ herself.

To transform Kmart’s budget-friendly coffee table, you’d need:
  • Kmart Ribbed Side Table ($45)
  • Piece of rounded timber second-hand
  • British Paints 4-in-1 primer ($38.50 for 1 litre)
  • Kmart Black Chalk Finish Paint ($10)
  • Rust-oleum Chalked Matt Clear Spray Paint ($19.99)
  • Liquid nails
To make the table, you need to:

1. Paint Kmart's ribbed side table with primer.​
2. Sand down a round piece of timber, and fill in any cracks or dents, then paint it with primer.​
3. Spray paint both the side table and the timber with matte paint.​
4. Fix the two pieces together with liquid nails and decorate.​

And there you have it! Your own designer-inspired coffee table.

If you’re feeling inspired but would like an even cheaper option to transform one of your old tables, this thrifty DIY-er managed to transform hers into a chic, modern-looking piece using this $30 find from Kmart. Read more details about her table’s transformation here.

Another Aussie also recreated a designer replica of a coffee table that retails for thousands of dollars for only $35! Find out how she did it here.
Key Takeaways
  • A mum-of-two and home décor enthusiast has revealed how she transformed a $45 Kmart coffee table into a designer-inspired dupe.
  • She completed the whole project for less than $200 using items from Kmart, Facebook Marketplace and Bunnings.
  • Her followers couldn't get over how professional the finished product looked.
  • The key steps to making the coffee table include painting with primer, spray paint with matte paint, fixing the two pieces together with liquid nails and decorating it.
Have you ever tried a home improvement or DIY project you’ve read about online before? We’d love to see your creative transformations in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricci and Hrynpa
Sponsored
As much as we love to save money, sometimes it’s hard to find quality furniture without a hefty price tag.

So, if you fancy a designer look that still fits your budget, this ingenious DIY enthusiast has got you covered.

Teresa, who runs a design page on Instagram called Monochrome Haus, recently revealed how she took a plain and unassuming Kmart coffee table and transformed it into a chic, ‘designer-inspired’ look alike for less than $200.

Aside from Kmart, Teresa also found some of the items she needed from Facebook Marketplace and Bunnings.

Initially, the mum of two stated that she wanted a Blanco coffee table, but was caught off-guard by the $700 price tag.

So, she decided that a DIY project would solve her problems.

View attachment 14564
This is the coffee table that served as Teresa’s inspiration for her project. Credit: Blanco Australia

Teresa said she was inspired to create her own coffee table after watching a video by Ros, who runs her own interior design and DIY account on Instagram under @playa_interiors.

‘Disclaimer: this was not my original idea and I know people have made similar things, so I’m not taking idea credit,’ Teresa explained.

To make the coffee table, Teresa bought Kmart’s Ribbed Side Table for $45 and painted it with British Paints primer from Bunnings. A litre of the paint primer costs $38.50.

Then, Teresa sanded down a round piece of timber she bought second-hand, filled any cracks or dents, and then painted it with primer. She said that she received the tabletop in second-hand condition, so she didn’t have to cut it down to size.

However, she advised those looking to try this DIY project at home to buy a rectangular piece of timber from Bunnings ($20) if they are unable to find a round piece of timber or tabletop.

View attachment 14565
Kmart’s Ribbed Side Table costs $45. Credit: Kmart

There are round panels available in Bunnings but they are sold at a higher price point ($66).

Next, Teresa painted both the coffee table and the timber with a $10 matte paint, which she also bought from Kmart. She also spray-painted the table with chalked matte spray paint purchased from Bunnings ($20) to add some finishing touches.

Finally, she fixed the two pieces together with liquid nails and decorated the finished product with two coffee table books, a candle, and some trinkets.

View attachment 14566
This is the end product. Credit: monochrome.haus_/Instagram

Many of Teresa’s followers loved the DIY coffee table and shared that they couldn’t get over how professional the finished product looked.

‘Yes! This is so good. You make me want to sneak some black in,’ stated one.

Another wrote: ‘Looks amazing, lovely! And that is the amazing thing about this platform, you get inspiration from others, and you’re right, so many people have done this before but yours is special because it was done by you and it looks amazing, girl.’

‘This is the best DIY coffee table I’ve seen on Instagram,’ one more replied, while another responded that Teresa has ‘outdone’ herself.

To transform Kmart’s budget-friendly coffee table, you’d need:
  • Kmart Ribbed Side Table ($45)
  • Piece of rounded timber second-hand
  • British Paints 4-in-1 primer ($38.50 for 1 litre)
  • Kmart Black Chalk Finish Paint ($10)
  • Rust-oleum Chalked Matt Clear Spray Paint ($19.99)
  • Liquid nails
To make the table, you need to:

1. Paint Kmart's ribbed side table with primer.​
2. Sand down a round piece of timber, and fill in any cracks or dents, then paint it with primer.​
3. Spray paint both the side table and the timber with matte paint.​
4. Fix the two pieces together with liquid nails and decorate.​

And there you have it! Your own designer-inspired coffee table.

If you’re feeling inspired but would like an even cheaper option to transform one of your old tables, this thrifty DIY-er managed to transform hers into a chic, modern-looking piece using this $30 find from Kmart. Read more details about her table’s transformation here.

Another Aussie also recreated a designer replica of a coffee table that retails for thousands of dollars for only $35! Find out how she did it here.
Key Takeaways

• A mum-of-two and home décor enthusiast has revealed how she transformed a $45 Kmart coffee table into a designer-inspired dupe.
  • She completed the whole project for less than $200 using items from Kmart, Facebook Marketplace and Bunnings.
  • Her followers couldn't get over how professional the finished product looked.
  • The key steps to making the coffee table include painting with primer, spray paint with matte paint, fixing the two pieces together with liquid nails and decorating it.
Have you ever tried a home improvement or DIY project you’ve read about online before? We’d love to see your creative transformations in the comments below!
Very nicely thought out and completed

Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci
To be honest I would look around on Facebook market place and find similar already completed .

Unfortunately I think I would stuff it up .

She did do a good job but for around $200 I think I could find similar already done for cheaper

Well done! The pleasure of accomplish something done by yourself is amazing!! 👏🏼👏🏼