Dengue fever spikes in Bali: ‘I don’t wish it upon anybody’

As the allure of tropical destinations like Bali continues to draw in travellers, especially those looking for adventure and relaxation, it's crucial to stay informed about potential health risks.

Recently, there's been a concerning uptick in cases of dengue fever reported among tourists returning from Bali, prompting a need for increased vigilance.

Recent experiences shared by fellow Australians on social media are a stark reminder that paradise can come with its perils.

One traveller recounted their ordeal, saying, 'Go to Bali, they said, it will be fun, they said,’ only to find themselves hospitalised with dengue fever and struggling to keep their temperature below a dangerous 39°C.

shutterstock_2184020621.jpg
Cases of dengue fever in Bali have been increasing. Credit: Shutterstock

‘I will have blood tests every day for the next week or maybe twice a day,’ she said.

‘Two weeks left. Here is hoping for a quick recovery, so I can enjoy my holiday.’

Another unfortunate tourist shared a similar tale of woe, having contracted dengue fever on their 30th birthday.

They described the experience as 'horrific' and highlighted the intense fever and body aches associated with the illness.

‘(I) don’t wish it upon anybody,’ they said.

‘The worst part is the fever and body aches and pains.’

Dengue fever is a viral infection transmitted by mosquitoes, and it's prevalent throughout Indonesia, including tourist hotspots like Bali, Jakarta, and other major cities.

A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesperson said, ‘Dengue fever is common during the rainy season in Indonesia.'

They also confirmed that reported cases of dengue infections from travellers returning to Australia from Bali have increased.

‘The best way to prevent dengue fever is to avoid being bitten by mosquitos,’ they added.

‘The government encourages all travellers to read the travel advice for Indonesia on SmartTraveller before they travel, as well as advice on infectious diseases and dengue.’

The World Health Organisation (WHO) explained that dengue is caused by the dengue virus, which is spread through the bite of infected mosquitoes.

While some people may carry the virus without symptoms or experience a mild illness, dengue fever can lead to severe and potentially fatal complications.

Symptoms to watch out for include high fever, severe headaches, pain behind the eyes, muscle and joint pains, nausea, vomiting, swollen glands, and rashes.

Severe symptoms can manifest after the initial fever subsides, including severe abdominal pain, persistent vomiting, rapid breathing, and bleeding from the gums or nose.

Early detection and proper medical care are crucial in reducing the fatality rates associated with severe dengue.

‘There is no specific treatment for dengue/severe dengue, and early detection and access to proper medical care greatly lower fatality rates of severe dengue,’ WHO said.

Last year, Bali authorities were on alert over an outbreak of Mpox or Monkeypox.

They implemented safety measures in airports to maintain the safety and comfort of everyone and prevent the spread of the disease to the region. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Australians are being warned about an increase in dengue fever cases following recent trips to Bali.
  • Travellers have reported severe symptoms of dengue fever, including high fever, body aches, and pains, requiring hospital treatment.
  • The Department Of Foreign Affairs And Trade and WHO highlighted that dengue fever is common in Indonesia and can be severe or fatal.
  • Experts advise that the best way to prevent dengue fever is by avoiding mosquito bites, and the government encouraged travellers to consult SmartTraveller for advice on infectious diseases.
Members, if you are experiencing any symptoms, consult your GP immediately. Stay safe!

Are you planning to visit Bali for your next holiday? What do you think about the dengue outbreak? Let us know in the comments below.

• Angry
Reactions: PattiB and BJM
Sponsored
Some people are a little complacent when holidaying in Bali.
Mosquito repellant is a definite prerequisite. I go to Bali regularly, but avoid the wet season when mosquitos are more active.
The fares are usually cheaper at that time of the year, but it's not worth the risk.
Still a good idea to take precautions whenever you go.

Reactions: IJH and PattiB
Whether I travel to Europe or more tropical places like Bali or Thailand even including Hawaii I use a good strong personal bug repellent. I wear light weight long pants as a bit of an extra precaution as you just can't be too careful with getting bitten. Living in the tropics here in Australia is getting just as bad for dengue fever.

Reactions: mylittletibbies