Delete these Android apps now to avoid malware mayhem!

Living in a digital age comes with its share of benefits and pitfalls.

We can accomplish so much with just a few taps on our smartphone screens, but we also risk exposing ourselves to the dark side of the web, like malware and cyber threats.

Anti-malware program Malware Fox highlighted more than 20 apps targeting Android users with harmful malware.

Android, the world's most popular smartphone operating system, has attracted an audience of billions of users.

However, its popularity also makes it a prime platform for malevolent cyber attackers.

shutterstock_418940485.jpg
Over 20 Android apps contain malware, according to Malware Fox. Credit: Shutterstock

‘Currently, there is no better medium with a huge user base than Android,’ Malware Fox said.

‘Over the last decade, Android has become a soft target for cyber attackers to carry out illicit activities. It is because Android is an open-source program, making it highly customisable, unlike iOS.’

‘It is easy for cybercriminals to infiltrate an Android device using malicious apps,’ they added.

Compromised applications have one (or more) of four dangerous types of malware. Let's delve into what these malware do and where they can be found.

Harly Trojan

This malware collects information regarding the user's device, particularly data related to the mobile network. It is found in these apps:
  • Fare Gamehub and Box
  • Hope Camera-Picture Record
  • Same Launcher and Live Wallpaper
  • Amazing Wallpaper
  • Cool Emoji Editor and Sticker
Joker Spyware

Jokey Spyware gathers your contact lists, SMS messages, and device details.

Even more worrying is its capability to register your device for premium services without your consent.

Joker Spyware is found in:
  • Simple Note Scanner
  • Universal PDF Scanner
  • Private Messenger
  • Premium SMS
  • Blood Pressure Checker
  • Cool Keyboard
  • Paint Art
  • Colour Message

shutterstock_2035714925.jpg
Four types of malware found in several Android apps were flagged by an anti-malware program. Credit: Shutterstock

Autolycos and Fleckpe Malware

By the same token as Joker, these are Trojan spyware known for causing involuntary sign-ups for paid services that can lead to unexpected charges.

Autolycos is found in:
  • Vlog Star Video Editor
  • Creative 3D Launcher
  • Wow Beauty Camera
  • Gif Emoji Keyboard
  • Instant Heart Rate Anytime
  • Delicate Messenger
Flecke is found in:
  • Beauty Slimming Photo Editor
  • GIF Camera Editor Pro

These threats come after cybersecurity giant McAfee warned Android users about a new malware variant, Xloader (or MoqHao).

Unlike its previous versions, this novel malware doesn't require the user to download or open it—it can lurk unnoticed and run silently in the background as soon as you open a corrupted link.

So, how can we shield ourselves from these hidden threats?

Firstly, as tempting as it may be to download that fun-looking app from an unknown source or click on a cryptic, shortened URL, do not open these links.

Stick to trusted sources like the Google Play Store for any app downloads. Also, keep an eye on the permissions requested by the apps you install.

Moreover, ensure your device's Android operating system and other software on your device are updated.
Key Takeaways
  • Over 20 Android apps have been identified as containing malware, and Android users are advised to delete them immediately.
  • Malware Fox, an anti-malware program, has released a list warning of four types of malware affecting these apps.
  • The malware variants include Harly Trojan, Joker Spyware, Autolycos Malware, and Fleckpe, each capable of malicious activities such as stealing data and subscribing users to paid services without consent.
  • Android users are advised to be cautious about the permissions that apps request, to avoid downloading apps from outside the Google Play Store, and to keep their devices updated with the latest software to protect against malware threats.
Do you have any of these apps on your phone? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Regarding the maliciously disguised "Chrome update" although McAfee identified it and raised the alarm, you didn't mention if a current update to date McAfee virus scan on Android would detect and remove it. That's pretty important yo know please.

Regarding the maliciously disguised "Chrome update" although McAfee identified it and raised the alarm, you didn't mention if a current update to date McAfee virus scan on Android would detect and remove it. That's pretty important yo know please.
I Am currently being scammed by a ("mc afee) I once was a customer and I am permanently being scammed by the imposter, I USED to be a mc afee customer but I cant tell the difference and pain once and lost out

I Am currently being scammed by a ("mc afee) I once was a customer and I am permanently being scammed by the imposter, I USED to be a mc afee customer but I cant tell the difference and pain once and lost out
You are but one in millions, being scammed by these Indian based scammers where they have offices of 5 or 6 stories with hundreds working on each floor to try to scam you you out of your money, maybe not you but they get so many idiots. Just block every one report as Phishing and delete. So simple.
And of course only download via Play Store and even then take care.

Glad I saw this!! I was going to download the blood pressure app!! I'll stick with my old fashioned way...

Reactions: Wieso