SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
Dad’s clean and ironed hankies

Do you remember watching your mum delicately ironing and stacking your dad’s hankies? Not even the sturdiest, four-ply tissues on supermarket shelves could compare to these resilient and environmentally friendly companions against colds, sweat, and food residues. Do you still use them today? Share your fond memories with us in the comments!

images.jpg
Source: Domenic Ruggiero/Memory Lane - Growing Up In Australia

Reactions: Littleboy8
I've never thought highly of hankies, tissues are far more hygenic.
Hankies get used, filled up with snot and then washed with your Tea towels and clothes etc. Yuck.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I've never thought highly of hankies, tissues are far more hygenic.
Hankies get used, filled up with snot and then washed with your Tea towels and clothes etc. Yuck.
Why would you put snotty hankies with your tea towels etc.🙀that’s disgusting.🤢soak in hot kettle water with detergent by themselves or use tissues.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I've never been a fan of hankies . Someone has a cold then the germs are sitting in that hanky . Overall yuk and disgusting 🫣

I remember my grandfather used hankies and I remember ironing what felt like 100 but was probably only 10

Reactions: Oaklegs
I am 86 now and I ALWAYS have a handkerchief in my pocket and my children are aware of that. However I have not had a cold requiring me to blow my nose for many years. I use my hanky to clean my spectacles though and to wipe the occasional tears from my eyes. Actually Handkerchiefs always used to be a nice present at Christmas time with the compulsory pairs of socks too.

I am 86 now and I ALWAYS have a handkerchief in my pocket and my children are aware of that. However I have not had a cold requiring me to blow my nose for many years. I use my hanky to clean my spectacles though and to wipe the occasional tears from my eyes. Actually Handkerchiefs always used to be a nice present at Christmas time with the compulsory pairs of socks too.
Wiping your tears are good as is cleaning your glasses

Reactions: Oaklegs
My mum always insisted that we have a hanky in our pocket at all times and would wash heaps each week after they were soaked in a small bucket with disinfectant and nappy-san. They would be all neatly ironed and folded (just like in the picture). I still today ( and since I left home at 21) do exactly the same, and always have a hanky in my pocket that I use to wipe my glasses, tears and in emergencies. I generally use a tissue to blow my nose rather than the hanky, but it is good to have a clean hanky in my pocket just incase. I suppose it is just how we were brought up and you carry those rituals with you part of culture.

We always had to have a hankie with us - nearly as important as clean underwear. Mum had white handkerchiefs for male or females and washed and boiled them separately to other washing. Then ironed them beautifully.

Several people have mentioned carrying hankies just because they always have. Got me thinking, every bloke used to carry a pocketknife, anyone still do that?
I do carry a tiny knife just 4cm long with two blades, I use it to clean my finger nails and many other things.

Yep it was my job to iron the hankies, I still use hankies, at least they aren't thrown on the ground after the dirty B------ds use them