Cynthia Weil, the legendary lyricist behind 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' and other hits, passes away at 82

Here at Seniors Discount Club, we understand the profound impact music has on our lives and the special memories each song brings.

It is with a heavy heart that we share the sad news of the passing of Cynthia Weil, the Grammy-winning songwriter and one-half of the songwriting duo with her husband Barry Mann – the masterminds behind unforgettable hits like 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'.

Cynthia Weil, aged 82, passed away 'surrounded by her family', as confirmed by her daughter Jenn Mann on Friday. Cynthia was not only a loving mother, grandmother, and wife, but she was also a best friend and inspiration to many, including her own daughter.

'My mother, Cynthia Weil, was the greatest mother, grandmother and wife our family could ever ask for,' said Jenn. 'She was my best friend, confidant, and my partner in crime and an idol and trailblazer for women in music.' The cause of Cynthia's death was not disclosed.

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 8.26.53 AM.png
Grammy-winning songwriter Cynthia Weil has died. She was 82. Credit: Facebook.

Born on October 18, 1940, in New York City, Cynthia initially pursued acting and dancing before discovering her incredible talent for songwriting. In her early career, she teamed up with her future husband, Barry Mann, whom she married in 1961. The couple then began working together at the renowned Brill Building in NYC, writing numerous classics throughout the 1960s.

Some of the unforgettable songs penned by Weil and Mann include The Righteous Brothers' 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' and '(You're My) Soul and Inspiration', Paul Peterson's 'My Dad', Eydie Gormé's 'Blame It on the Bossa Nova', and The Drifters' 'On Broadway', later covered by George Benson.

Credit: Righteous Brothers - Topic

Credit: The Drifters - Topic

They continued to work together and produced other successful songs like Dolly Parton's 'Here You Come Again' and Dionne Warwick's 'Never Gonna Let You Go'.

Cynthia also independently wrote a string of hits, such as The Pointer Sisters' 'He's So Shy', Barry Manilow's 'Somewhere Down the Road', and Lionel Richie's 'Love Will Conquer All'.

Weil and Mann were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1987, honouring their incredible contributions to the world of music. The couple's life and work were turned into a musical revue, They Wrote That?, which opened in New York City in 2004.

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 8.26.44 AM.png
Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil won the Grammy for Song of the Year for 'Somewhere Out There'. Credit: YouTube/Jimmy Carter.

In 2010, Cynthia and Barry were the recipients of the prestigious Ahmet Ertegun Award from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, inducted by fellow music legend Carole King. A humble Cynthia expressed her gratitude in her acceptance speech, saying, 'From the bottom of my heart and with the greatest humility, I thought you guys would never ask.'

Apart from her songwriting accomplishments, Cynthia was also an author, penning novels in 2015 and 2018 called I'm Glad I Did and 806, respectively. Weil and Mann's lives were depicted in the popular musical Beautiful: The Carole King Musical.

Credit: Dolly Parton

Credit: Linda Ronstadt

Key Takeaways

• Grammy-winning songwriter Cynthia Weil has passed away at the age of 82, surrounded by her family.
  • Weil had a successful career both on her own and alongside her husband and writing partner Barry Mann, with hit songs such as 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' and 'Somewhere Out There'.
  • Weil and Mann were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1987 and received the Ahmet Ertegun Award from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010.
  • Alongside her music career, Weil also wrote two novels and was portrayed in Beautiful: The Carole King Musical.

Cynthia Weil's legacy will continue to live on through her timeless music, which holds a special place in many of our hearts.

We'd like to extend our deepest condolences to Cynthia's family, friends, and fans. May her beautiful spirit and incredible talent always be remembered and celebrated.

Sponsored
I am sure some of us still sing those well-loved songs she wrote at times and show our own mortality.
At first, I read her husband was Barry Manilow. I know he was so popular with, but was never likely to marry any woman.
Ah, the musical world offers such varieties each couple of years. I imagine Old Bing and Frankie would turn in their graves with the popularity of the following eras of many not-so-dulcet sounds.

Reactions: PattiB and Gsr
Here at Seniors Discount Club, we understand the profound impact music has on our lives and the special memories each song brings.

It is with a heavy heart that we share the sad news of the passing of Cynthia Weil, the Grammy-winning songwriter and one-half of the songwriting duo with her husband Barry Mann – the masterminds behind unforgettable hits like 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'.

Cynthia Weil, aged 82, passed away 'surrounded by her family', as confirmed by her daughter Jenn Mann on Friday. Cynthia was not only a loving mother, grandmother, and wife, but she was also a best friend and inspiration to many, including her own daughter.

'My mother, Cynthia Weil, was the greatest mother, grandmother and wife our family could ever ask for,' said Jenn. 'She was my best friend, confidant, and my partner in crime and an idol and trailblazer for women in music.' The cause of Cynthia's death was not disclosed.

View attachment 21461
Grammy-winning songwriter Cynthia Weil has died. She was 82. Credit: Facebook.

Born on October 18, 1940, in New York City, Cynthia initially pursued acting and dancing before discovering her incredible talent for songwriting. In her early career, she teamed up with her future husband, Barry Mann, whom she married in 1961. The couple then began working together at the renowned Brill Building in NYC, writing numerous classics throughout the 1960s.

Some of the unforgettable songs penned by Weil and Mann include The Righteous Brothers' 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' and '(You're My) Soul and Inspiration', Paul Peterson's 'My Dad', Eydie Gormé's 'Blame It on the Bossa Nova', and The Drifters' 'On Broadway', later covered by George Benson.

Credit: Righteous Brothers - Topic

Credit: The Drifters - Topic

They continued to work together and produced other successful songs like Dolly Parton's 'Here You Come Again' and Dionne Warwick's 'Never Gonna Let You Go'.

Cynthia also independently wrote a string of hits, such as The Pointer Sisters' 'He's So Shy', Barry Manilow's 'Somewhere Down the Road', and Lionel Richie's 'Love Will Conquer All'.

Weil and Mann were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1987, honouring their incredible contributions to the world of music. The couple's life and work were turned into a musical revue, They Wrote That?, which opened in New York City in 2004.

View attachment 21462
Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil won the Grammy for Song of the Year for 'Somewhere Out There'. Credit: YouTube/Jimmy Carter.

In 2010, Cynthia and Barry were the recipients of the prestigious Ahmet Ertegun Award from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, inducted by fellow music legend Carole King. A humble Cynthia expressed her gratitude in her acceptance speech, saying, 'From the bottom of my heart and with the greatest humility, I thought you guys would never ask.'

Apart from her songwriting accomplishments, Cynthia was also an author, penning novels in 2015 and 2018 called I'm Glad I Did and 806, respectively. Weil and Mann's lives were depicted in the popular musical Beautiful: The Carole King Musical.

Credit: Dolly Parton

Credit: Linda Ronstadt

Key Takeaways

• Grammy-winning songwriter Cynthia Weil has passed away at the age of 82, surrounded by her family.
  • Weil had a successful career both on her own and alongside her husband and writing partner Barry Mann, with hit songs such as 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' and 'Somewhere Out There'.
  • Weil and Mann were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1987 and received the Ahmet Ertegun Award from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010.
  • Alongside her music career, Weil also wrote two novels and was portrayed in Beautiful: The Carole King Musical.

Cynthia Weil's legacy will continue to live on through her timeless music, which holds a special place in many of our hearts.

We'd like to extend our deepest condolences to Cynthia's family, friends, and fans. May her beautiful spirit and incredible talent always be remembered and celebrated.

RIP!